• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 9:01:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this job opening all about the REF?  (Read 6519 times)
blueseventh

« on: May 03, 2012, 4:24:52 AM »

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of applying for a fixed-term UK research+teaching position that is eligible to be included in the REF. It begins at the start of next academic year and ends in December 2014.

I thought this time frame was a little weird for a fixed contract position and wondered whether the timing of the dates of the post indicate an attempt to, er, game the REF system - i.e. although it's nominally a teaching position, is the school really mainly looking for someone who can boost their REF submission? Obviously if it is, it makes a difference to how I would frame my application. Is there some sort of rule that included staff have to be in position until the REF is concluded, which accounts for the December finish date?

I am a back-and-forth pond-hopper, so I'm familiar with UK institutions but haven't seen a research assessment being conducted, so would appreciate hearing what you think.
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 6:31:37 AM »

Difficult to tell without seeing the actual advert. In the absence of anything in the advert, I'd be inclined to assume either a) somebody's got 18 months of buy-out/grant funding, but the dept/uni isn't replacing them over the summer or b) it was originally a three/five year appointment and the original incumbent has managed to publish their way to a permanent post.
blueseventh

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 11:25:57 PM »

Thanks for replying. The possibility that it's meant to free up the permanent staff so they can concentrate on REF had also occurred to me. I don't suppose it would hurt to ask the search chair if the post is to cover a research leave, would it?
the_walrus

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 2:03:12 AM »

Why does it matter to you, if you need employment?
blueseventh

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 4:40:06 AM »

It matters because, as I said, it helps with tailoring an application if I can figure out if they are really looking for a research bunny or someone whose primary role is to cover teaching. Hence hopefully increasing chances of employment. Surely it's not odd to want to suss this sort of thing out?
expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!
Distinguished Senior Member

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 12:32:10 PM »

It matters because, as I said, it helps with tailoring an application if I can figure out if they are really looking for a research bunny or someone whose primary role is to cover teaching. Hence hopefully increasing chances of employment. Surely it's not odd to want to suss this sort of thing out?

In the UK you're much better off targeting your application to the stated Person Specifications....

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK

It is what it is.
the_walrus

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 2:21:34 PM »

In the UK you're much better off targeting your application to the stated Person Specifications....

Expatinuk is right.  You don't need to be reading tea leaves---the person specification will tell you precisely how to target your application.  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 2:21:53 PM by the_walrus » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: