• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 3:02:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Safety option  (Read 3329 times)
tobeycole

« on: June 27, 2010, 1:44:49 PM »

If I don't get into a medical school, I would like a fall back option, which would be an academic career.

Can you suggest PhD programs that can be done online? From reputable universities only.

These can be in any field like economics, sociology, psychology, business, etc. My eventual desire would be to get into a career that allows for teaching+research at a reasonable university (not community college). Actually even a community college would be fine if they give me time off to do research.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 1:45:40 PM by tobeycole » Logged
mountainguy
The no longer carbonated
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 1:50:04 PM »

Good luck with that.

You might as well look for a pot of gold in your Lucky Charms cereal.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 1:50:45 PM by mountainguy » Logged
macaroon

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 1:51:10 PM »

Are you serious?

Presuming that you are, if you have been preparing to go to med school only, you won't be competitive for admission into graduate school.   Nobody "falls back" from medical school into a PhD program. Talk to your academic advisor, who presumably has a PhD, and he or she should be able to explain in detail a) why you wouldn't be competitive and b) what you can do after graduation to remedy that situation.

There are no reputable online PhD programs.  Sorry about that.  Again, discuss this with your academic advisor.

If you really want to do research and teach, don't go to medical school in the first place.  Go see your academic advisor about your change of plans.

Good luck!
plebeian

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 1:56:08 PM »

You might like to check out some old threads on online degrees.

http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,48679.0.html
http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,39692.0.html
http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,32486.0.html
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 1:57:36 PM »

fall back option, which would be an academic career.

This is part one of the multi-part response, "You clearly do not understand how academia works." This is only slightly more reasonable than saying "my fall-back option is winning the lottery."

Can you suggest PhD programs that can be done online? From reputable universities only.

... And this is part two.

These can be in any field like economics, sociology, psychology, business, etc.

Part three.

My eventual desire would be to get into a career that allows for teaching+research at a reasonable university (not community college). Actually even a community college would be fine if they give me time off to do research.

Part four.

VP
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 1:58:13 PM by voxprincipalis » Logged

chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 2:07:58 PM »

You should have no problem getting accepted onto a PhD program. It's not like anyone really cares whether or not you have any background or interest in the subject area you're going to be researching for the next five years. They'll probably give you full funding as well, given that that is so easy to come by these days. Once you have finished, you will be literally spoiled for choice with job opportunites; employers all over the country are desperate to hire people with online PhDs.

Oh, wait. I seem to have momentarily slipped into a parallel universe.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 2:22:55 PM »

You should have no problem getting accepted onto a PhD program. It's not like anyone really cares whether or not you have any background or interest in the subject area you're going to be researching for the next five years. They'll probably give you full funding as well, given that that is so easy to come by these days. Once you have finished, you will be literally spoiled for choice with job opportunites; employers all over the country are desperate to hire people with online PhDs.

Oh, wait. I seem to have momentarily slipped into a parallel universe.

Didn't we have this discussion on the infinity thread? If infinity exists with infinite possibilities, then this scenario *is* the case somewhere--just not on Planet Earth.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 2:26:45 PM »

Well, yes. That was kind of my point.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 2:34:14 PM »

I thought this thread was going to be about seat belts.

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
williamj

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 2:47:08 PM »

Stranger things have happened.  I have a BS in a STEM field, attended medical school for a little while and then decided it wasn't for me.  I then earned a PhD in a STEM field and am currently on the tenure track.  I had completed several biomedical type research projects as an undergrad and that helped bridge the difference in preparing for a medical versus graduate education.  Best of luck to you.
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 2:58:10 PM »

Stranger things have happened.  I have a BS in a STEM field, attended medical school for a little while and then decided it wasn't for me.  I then earned a PhD in a STEM field and am currently on the tenure track.  I had completed several biomedical type research projects as an undergrad and that helped bridge the difference in preparing for a medical versus graduate education.  Best of luck to you.

Yes, but there is a consistent thread running through your educational experiences: interest in and experience with a STEM field. It just took you a little while to sort out exactly which direction you wanted to take. The OP appears to be floundering kind of randomly across an incredibly wide range of fields, with no real idea of what any of them actually entails.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
clean

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 3:02:31 PM »

There are no reputable online PhD programs

In case that is unclear,

There are no reputable online PhD programs

Go, or dont go, but you have to be there and finish before you can land a job like you describe.

Further, as a PhD in a business discipline, Im not sure how preparation for a medical degree would prepare you for a degree in business. 

Personally, I am advising anyone who will listen to go to pharmacy school.  Had I worked in a pharmacy earlier in my life (I was already a senior in business when I got a job there), I would be on today.  The pay is great, you serve others, and it is a medical field. 

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 3:12:35 PM »

Phoenix University offers a handful of online Ph.D.s.
</snark>

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
sir_lancelot

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 4:10:00 PM »

So, you don't have the time and resources to get the required courses for one degree under your belt. Now you also want to prepare for a totally different field? Yeah, that's going to happen. There are lots of online outfits that will - for a little fee - get you a piece of paper based on your "life experience" .....that's the ticket for an academic career!
grasshopper

Grade Despot

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 4:14:35 PM »

I don't know of any offhand, but I betcha someone will be along shortly with a link!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: