Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

<< < (1653/2494) > >>

pathogen:
On the CMS, there is a module for each class. In the module for next class, two articles are posted.
The syllabus lists the required readings for each class meeting. For next class, two articles are listed.
They are the same two articles posted under the module for next class on the CMS.
Student in class: "There are two articles on the CMS. Do we have to read both?"
Me: I would like you to focus on article A. Take a look at article B, because we will talk about it a bit. But the main focus of class discussion will be article A."
Student: "So I just want to clarify: Do we have to read both?"

Kill. Me. Now.

polly_mer:
Quote from: pathogen on February 08, 2013,  1:26:20 AM

On the CMS, there is a module for each class. In the module for next class, two articles are posted.
The syllabus lists the required readings for each class meeting. For next class, two articles are listed.
They are the same two articles posted under the module for next class on the CMS.
Student in class: "There are two articles on the CMS. Do we have to read both?"
Me: I would like you to focus on article A. Take a look at article B, because we will talk about it a bit. But the main focus of class discussion will be article A."
Student: "So I just want to clarify: Do we have to read both?"

Kill. Me. Now.

This is easy.  "Yes, you have to read them both."

mountainguy:
Quote from: secundem_artem on February 08, 2013, 12:28:00 AM

I once proctored a quiz where the correct answer to one question was clearly highlighted on the version the students got.  About 10% of the little darlin's still got it wrong.

I've previously joked that if I gave a class of 25 first-semester freshpersons the question 2+2=___ on an exam, only 15 of them would get it right. Of the remaining 10 students:

3 would claim it was a "trick question" because ___ wasn't on the study guide;
                3 would know the answer but would protest bitterly "because math has nothing to with
                   being a nursing major";
                3 would just sit there dumbfounded and not write an answer even if told to count with their hands;
                1 would insist that the answer was "apple" because that's what his high school teacher said.

Fortunately, at EagleU, those 10 students have either dropped out of school by the second semester or wisened up about how to play the college game. I pity those of you who work at places where they haven't.

slinger:
Two of my students have switched majors from nutrition to nursing because the chemistry was too hard.

mountainguy:
Quote from: slinger on February 08, 2013,  4:31:45 PM

Two of my students have switched majors from nutrition to nursing because the chemistry was too hard.

Ummmm . . . you should ask them in another year how that worked out for them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page