• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 2:22:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: replacement for Acer?  (Read 11460 times)
aristotelian
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 11:46:13 PM »

Thanks for your reply. I'm not convinced by the tablets, either, but they seem to be edging out the notebooks. It turns out that none of the big box electronics stores in my area even carry the inexpensive notebooks any more. How long have you had your Asus? Is the ten hour battery standard? My Acer had an eight hour battery, but the ones I'm finding online at an affordable price only have a four hour battery.

To answer your question, my Asus is about 1 and a half years old. As far as I know it is the standard battery. Here is the current model which advertises 12.5 hours:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1025C-MU17-BK-10-1-Inch-Netbook-Black/dp/B0071N3AYC/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

If it wasn't for your word processing, I would consider a Kindle Fire. But from what you are saying I would probably go with another netbook, especially if battery life is a concern.

I am not familiar with a "tablet PC". Do you just mean a tablet that is not made by Apple? Can someone post a model number or a link?

ptarmigan
grad student & chief dork dumpling

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »

My tablet PC is just like a regular laptop computer except that the screen can swivel around and then when you close the lid, the screen is on top. You can then operate the computer via stylus. This is how I teach my classes - by hooking my tablet PC up to the projection system and then writing everything in OneNote.

He's on my roster, but if I've taught him anything, it isn't math.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 1:05:31 AM »

Tablet PC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Tablet_PC

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 8:03:45 AM »

My tablet PC is just like a regular laptop computer except that the screen can swivel around and then when you close the lid, the screen is on top. You can then operate the computer via stylus. This is how I teach my classes - by hooking my tablet PC up to the projection system and then writing everything in OneNote.

Exactly! Me, too. But probably too expensive for the OP's desired purpose.

Love your neighbor.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 8:09:55 AM »

I am not familiar with a "tablet PC". Do you just mean a tablet that is not made by Apple? Can someone post a model number or a link?

I have one sort of like this and use it as ptarmigan describes and for travel.

I notice that Lenovo has started calling their tablet PCs "convertible tablets" as they are now selling an android competitor to the iPad... More confusion.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 8:10:17 AM by octoprof » Logged

Love your neighbor.
questor1

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 2:54:30 PM »

Will an Acer work in Europe? Is there anything special that needs to be done to connect? I'll mostly be in city hotels. For checking email would it be wiser to use their business centers and pay whatever charge there is -- like $20 for 30 minutes?
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 6:34:35 PM »

Will an Acer work in Europe? Is there anything special that needs to be done to connect? I'll mostly be in city hotels. For checking email would it be wiser to use their business centers and pay whatever charge there is -- like $20 for 30 minutes?

All modern netbooks/notebooks now come with auto-switchable voltage. The only difference between a European and US computer nowadays is the plug on the end of the power cord and the keyboard. Stick your US power cord into an adaptor and you're good to go.

Also, we're not the benighted back of beyond over here. Most hotels come with wireless, and we even have Starbucks (unfortunately) with free wifi, just like you do back in civilisation (sic).
questor1

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 7:00:39 PM »

Thanks Wegie, Appreciate the advice (and humor), will take Acer and adaptor. In U.S. free wireless is in Starbucks, some McDonalds, and some hotels -- may be free in the lobby in a certain space and/or may be free in the room. Some of the big hotel chains charge for use in the room and don't get me started on cruise ships.
forwhatitsworth

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 8:20:42 PM »

Many thanks, all. I very much appreciate all the input. I may opt for a tablet if I can spend a bit more time learning about their features. I'm also worried it may be stolen more easily, though, if someone seems me whip it out at a cafe, etc. The Acer hardly looks cutting edge high tech, which is an advantage in what I do. It may be cheapest to spring for an Acer, with a warranty, which would buy me a couple of years. I'm just a befuddled academic when it comes to technology!
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 8:43:54 PM »

There was a nice Android tablet on Woot.com last night for $300. I'd still stick with a netbook.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: