• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:46:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Office space decision  (Read 9904 times)
soymilk

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 6:45:02 PM »

Won't all of the junior faculty who are already there have tenure before you go up for it, and therefore they, too, will be voting on your tenure?

Not necessarily. The junior rebels will get fired, and will be replaced by non-rebels. You will get to vote on tenure for the non-rebels.
helpful
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 7:30:54 PM »

I would choose based on who would be the most interesting to talk to. After all, you will be in that office for a while. You don't want to be near boring conversationalists.

Also, ask for advice from your new department chair.
luckychance

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 8:06:02 PM »

Won't all of the junior faculty who are already there have tenure before you go up for it, and therefore they, too, will be voting on your tenure?

Not necessarily. The junior rebels will get fired, and will be replaced by non-rebels. You will get to vote on tenure for the non-rebels.
Likewise, though, some of the seniors will be retired. I'm in the situation where everyone around me is a senior, tenured professor. It's nice to have them as allies but it's lonely. At my previous institution, young junior faculty were in the surrounding offices and I made great friendships. These were people I regularly spent time with on weekends. The only people my age are far away from my office. I suppose I could still take the initiative to spend time with them socially but it's much easier if your offices are nearby.
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 6:46:10 AM »

It totally depends on what kind of department you are moving too.  I had a one year lectureship at my alma mater, where I was happily assigned an office right across the hall from the faculty lounge and it's fancy coffee machine.  That institution was one where faculty rarely dropped by each others' offices or stood around in doorways having conversations, so it didn't really matter who was near me. What did make a difference was the fact that a closed door was perfectly acceptable, so I could block out the student chatter while they waited to meet with their professors at midterms and finals.

Now, I am at an SLAC, and we have an open-door culture. Colleagues and students alike drop by to say hi, and it's cool.  I do have to contend with a neighbor who likes to play music (sans headphones), but I keep foam earplugs in my desk, which seems to work just fine. I can keep the door open and not get distracted.

The other factor you might consider (in addition to whether or not there is a coffee machine or microwave near either--both pros and cons to these) is proximity to a bathroom. If people are going to stand around and chat, it's often in front of water fountains or restrooms.

anon99

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 9:43:00 AM »

Which office is closest to people who you might want to collaborate with or have similar research interests?  To me that is more important.
lurkingfear

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »

I've seen both ends of this situation and would most definitely chose the one away from the senior faculty. Unless you spend all of your work hours in your office, you may be judged by senior faculty who in my experience are more likely live by this rule. As was mentioned up-thread, senior faculty are also more likely to drop in to shoot the s***. It's a tricky proposition to herd them out of your office when you have to work than it is with the junior folks who you are more likely to socialize with and hence have a more casual relationship (i.e., I can tell most any junior faculty member in my dept that I'm too busy to talk right now, but would feel awkward about that with most of the senior folks).
shrek

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 1:01:35 PM »

In my university only full professors vote on tenure. So, it will be another 6 years after tenure before the junior faculty move up to a position where they could vote on someone's tenure.
helpful

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »

In my university only full professors vote on tenure.
Wow. If that was the rule in my department, there would be but only two people voting on tenure. That wouldn't be fair.
basil_midwest

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 10:54:04 AM »

Thanks for all of the input, my initial thought was to take the office next to the senior faculty members since they will be the ones voting on my tenure decision. I've seen from the discussion here that there are some advantages to being away from their site all of the time (particularly because I have young children who may require me to be out of the office at strange times).

Anyways, the decision was made for me because a more senior faculty member wanted one of the offices so I will be surrounded by the other junior faculty members. It's good to know that there will be some perks to this arrangement.

Thanks all!
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 7:15:28 PM »

I would vote for the office near the senior faculty.

+1

I usually decide this sort of thing by smell.

+10

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
canadatourismguy

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 7:44:17 PM »

Who do you think you will collaborate with most?  I co-author extensively with one of my colleagues and it is a pain in the butt to constantly walk into the next building to work with them.  It would be so much more productive to be closer to one another. 

On preview:  Candadiantourismguy is a subversive of the first order.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: