• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:29:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 153
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronic Illness and Academia  (Read 535725 times)
nucleo

« Reply #2025 on: January 31, 2012, 6:34:07 PM »

How is everyone else doing?

Bah.  Not so good.  Just got back from the doctor:  Chest infection?  Confirmed.  Antibiotics?  Check.  Out for the rest of the week?  Check. 

I'm asthmatic so this is a fairly common occurrence in winter.  <whine>But it still sucks.</whine>
msparticularity
Distinguished Senior Member

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #2026 on: January 31, 2012, 8:01:35 PM »

How is everyone else doing?

Bah.  Not so good.  Just got back from the doctor:  Chest infection?  Confirmed.  Antibiotics?  Check.  Out for the rest of the week?  Check. 

I'm asthmatic so this is a fairly common occurrence in winter.  <whine>But it still sucks.</whine>

I feel you, nucleo--quite literally. I have asthma also, and this has been a particularly difficult year for me. I'm guessing the atypical weather may have had something to do with it, perhaps due to things blooming at odd times and setting me off?

The latest for me is a switch from the amitryptilline to gabapentin for the pain. I'm only on the third day, so not sure yet whether this is an improvement or not. This guy really is pretty good, and is doing his best to try to help me manage the symptoms until I can get a decent rheumatologist.

So, pretty much a <whine> from me today, too.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #2027 on: January 31, 2012, 8:05:58 PM »

It does take a few days to know if gabapentin works or not. Unfortunately.

I have a new pain doc and he is going to do a pain injection in my back Friday. I have no idea if it is just a single injection or the beginning of a series.

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
nucleo

« Reply #2028 on: January 31, 2012, 11:50:29 PM »

Msparticularity and gennimom, I hope your new meds work for you. 

I am on a long run of an old antibiotic, doxycycline, because the newer 5-day packs never seem to wipe out all of the infection, I'm allergic to penicillin, and Bactrim gives me GERD which sets off my asthma.  Apparently that doesn't leave a lot of options.

But I was pleased to learn from the pharmacist that mometasone furoate is now available as an MDI in Canada.  I've been looking for an alternative to beclomethasone for some time, since it doesn't quite hold me and I cannot tolerate the side effects of the stronger inhaled corticosteroids.
msparticularity

« Reply #2029 on: February 01, 2012, 1:28:08 AM »

Msparticularity and gennimom, I hope your new meds work for you. 

I am on a long run of an old antibiotic, doxycycline, because the newer 5-day packs never seem to wipe out all of the infection, I'm allergic to penicillin, and Bactrim gives me GERD which sets off my asthma.  Apparently that doesn't leave a lot of options.

But I was pleased to learn from the pharmacist that mometasone furoate is now available as an MDI in Canada.  I've been looking for an alternative to beclomethasone for some time, since it doesn't quite hold me and I cannot tolerate the side effects of the stronger inhaled corticosteroids.

Mine is budesonide, and I have a prescription that allows me to self-monitor dosage, within limits. I haven't actually tried the ones you mention--are they powdered? Do I recall correctly that, like me, you get a reaction to the propellants?

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

nucleo

« Reply #2030 on: February 01, 2012, 2:01:10 AM »

Mine is budesonide, and I have a prescription that allows me to self-monitor dosage, within limits. I haven't actually tried the ones you mention--are they powdered? Do I recall correctly that, like me, you get a reaction to the propellants?

I do find the propellants mildly irritating (though the HFA ones are much better in this regard than the old CFC ones), but that's not the reason I can't use the stronger corticosteroids:  with budesonide I get a 24/7 headache that Tylenol won't touch and fluticasone gives me daily migraines.  (Pity about the latter one -- it was the only thing that really could stop my post nasal drip in its tracks.)  When I was living in the US, I took triamcinolone, but that hasn't been available in Canada for years now.  So beclometh it is, supplemented by salmeterol, salbutamol (albuterol in the US), Singulaire, and nasal mometasone.  Plus daily antihistamine and daily decongestant.  Better living through chemistry, and all that.
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #2031 on: February 01, 2012, 8:24:18 AM »

Good thoughts to all here.  Nucleo, I hope you kick that infection fully and swiftly.

I react badly to the inhaler propellants - the Flovent and Atrovent were giving me vicious headaches and not helping the asthma.

I'm still on Asmanex (a powder inhaler) and Singulaire (a pill), and together they're keeping my lungs reasonably happy.  If this cold would finally bugger off I think I'd be just fine, but since I've still got a nagging cough and my voice is still hoarse I'm getting winded more easily than I should.  If the weather would settle down into a proper winter that would help too, but there's a lot of mold spores and quite possibly still pollen in the air here.  I've got levalbuterol (Xopenex) as my rescue inhaler and have needed it a couple times this month, but not anywhere near as often as I did in October and November when I was having the allergy flare-ups.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
nucleo

« Reply #2032 on: February 01, 2012, 1:32:02 PM »

I'm still on Asmanex (a powder inhaler)

Yes, that's the new(ish) corticosteroid that I'm interested in.  Apparently in Canada you can now either get mometasone furoate as a dry-power inhaler -> the Asmanex twisthaler, or in combination form with formoterol -> the Zenhale MDI (with HFA propellent).  I think I should be able to tolerate mometasone fairly well, since I currently use it in the form of a nasal spray, Nasonex.  (Or, as spucleo likes to call it, Snort-A-Cort.)

I think I might try the twisthaler first, since I do find dry-powder inhalers to be a better delivery option.  I'm glad they've improved the technology; the first dry-powder inhalers felt like you were inhaling sand.  Took some time to get used to.

I'm glad you were able to find a set of medications that works for you, biomancer.  Good thoughts as well to everyone here, especially on the breathing front!
nucleo

« Reply #2033 on: February 06, 2012, 9:00:29 PM »

Sorry for the double post, but here's the update:

Just got back from the doctor:  Chest infection?  Confirmed.  Antibiotics?  Check.  Out for the rest of the week?  Check. 

Just got back from second trip to the doctor:  Chest infection turned into pneumonia?  Check.  Extension of antibiotic prescription?  Check.  Out for yet another week?  Check.  Blargh.
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #2034 on: February 07, 2012, 8:42:24 AM »

Sorry for the double post, but here's the update:

Just got back from the doctor:  Chest infection?  Confirmed.  Antibiotics?  Check.  Out for the rest of the week?  Check. 

Just got back from second trip to the doctor:  Chest infection turned into pneumonia?  Check.  Extension of antibiotic prescription?  Check.  Out for yet another week?  Check.  Blargh.

Oh, no, Nucleo!  I'm sending some healing karma your way.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
gennimom

« Reply #2035 on: February 19, 2012, 12:13:30 AM »

My belly (with its scar tissue) is hurting something serious right now, and now I'm nauseous. I just saw the doc yesterday, but he didn't seem to think there was anything to be done yet. How bad does it have to be?

Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
see_wolf
procrastinating

« Reply #2036 on: February 19, 2012, 12:19:30 AM »

My belly (with its scar tissue) is hurting something serious right now, and now I'm nauseous. I just saw the doc yesterday, but he didn't seem to think there was anything to be done yet. How bad does it have to be?

I don't know, GM... I would probably go to the ER if I was in your shoes. 
msparticularity

« Reply #2037 on: February 19, 2012, 2:59:35 AM »

I don't know, GM... I would probably go to the ER if I was in your shoes. 

There are also some icky bugs going around this year--including some intestinal stuff. Is there a chance the scarring issues are getting augmented by something else?

In any case, though, do take good care of yourself. And definitely, if you're in pain, don't just suffer patiently (no matter what the doctor said)!

gennimom

« Reply #2038 on: February 19, 2012, 7:58:18 PM »

I got up to take my pills and head to bed and didn't make it. I doubled over and GD hauled my butt to the ER after all. Dragging Genni with us did not go great as she had a meltdown in the car (she wasn't really awake). Didn't help how I felt, I'll tell you. I just love dealing with a screaming child when I want to scream myself. But again, everything was in working order, they packed me up, gave me some dilaudid, and sent me home. I woke up this morning with a dilaudid hangover or a serious headache anyway (still hurts some), and ended up sleeping until after 3 this afternoon.

I'm still hurting and I'm tired of it. If something isn't wrong, would my body please stop driving me around the bend?

Monday reeks! - Garfield
gennimom

« Reply #2039 on: February 20, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »

D*** scar tissue.

Monday reeks! - Garfield
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 153
  Print  

Jump to: