• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 9:07:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36
  Print  
Author Topic: The CHE STFU Center for Professional Development  (Read 182961 times)
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #345 on: May 06, 2012, 7:46:59 PM »

Dear STFU--
I did not always STFU but I got tenure anyway. I was actually told by a colleague, we will call him "Jim" that I was too picky about things. It is possible that others appreciate my attention to detail. It is also quite possible that lots of people are annoyed at me and that I need to continue to STFU for a while (sort of like doing a "make-up" test after I almost failed it?). Now this same colleague who was offended by my previous critique wants feedback on some written material from a few of us. There are a few bad sentences. Do I point out the typos, just say "looks great!!", and/or hope that these typos are noticed and commented upon by someone else? If no one points out the typos, some students will see it. They would then know that Jim sometimes makes typos. Yikes, I think I know your answer. I have been here too long...

Point out one or two typos and see how it goes.  If he's okay with it, "notice" the others.  If he seems exasperated, say "That's fine; possibly no one else will notice or care," and remember the lesson about this colleague.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #346 on: May 06, 2012, 8:50:36 PM »

Dear Soymilk:

STFU. Unless these errors also reflect poorly on you, in which case speak gently.

Miss STFU

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #347 on: May 06, 2012, 9:30:15 PM »

(Mark the typos, but resist the temptation to explain what the error is.  E.g. "comma splice."  That always pisses some people off.)

Taste o' the Sixties
lowerninthward

« Reply #348 on: May 07, 2012, 4:33:40 PM »

New topic - Same _ _ _ _, different day!
1. Our Dept. chair, who is 2 generations senior to me insists on calling himself the "chairman" of our dept.
2. There are only five of us full timers and he STILL cannot remember my name, after two years.

I am junior faculty.

Remind me now people... Should I STFU?
larryc
Troll Proof

« Reply #349 on: May 07, 2012, 6:57:16 PM »

New topic - Same _ _ _ _, different day!
1. Our Dept. chair, who is 2 generations senior to me insists on calling himself the "chairman" of our dept.
2. There are only five of us full timers and he STILL cannot remember my name, after two years.

I am junior faculty.

Remind me now people... Should I STFU?

Dear ... Whatever Your Name Is:

1. He is the chairman, yes? What is your beef?

2. Before the next department meeting, make a GIANT name tag with "Hi, I am Lower Ninth Ward!" and stick it on your chest. When your chair comes in jump up and introduce yourself as if you had never met.

Miss STFU

ochreluna13
dreaming...

« Reply #350 on: May 07, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »

Dear STFU Center for Professional Development,

As someone who has a very big mouth and also someone new to the TT, I must say that I am eternally grateful to you for introducing the STFU Philosophy to the world.  I consider it my new zen practice, and carefully remember it on a daily basis at work and around my colleagues.  My partner, a non-academic, believes you should spread the STFU Philosophy to the rest of the world. 

Perhaps one day I will write for advice, but for now I'll simply remember to STFU.

Ochreluna13
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #351 on: May 07, 2012, 10:08:23 PM »

Dear STFU Center for Professional Development,

As someone who has a very big mouth and also someone new to the TT, I must say that I am eternally grateful to you for introducing the STFU Philosophy to the world.  I consider it my new zen practice, and carefully remember it on a daily basis at work and around my colleagues.  My partner, a non-academic, believes you should spread the STFU Philosophy to the rest of the world. 

Perhaps one day I will write for advice, but for now I'll simply remember to STFU.

Ochreluna13

Bless you my child.

Keep up the good work.

Miss STFU

Love your neighbor.
nucleo

« Reply #352 on: May 07, 2012, 11:55:57 PM »

Forgive me, Miss STFU, for I have sinned.  I have forgotten the primary rule that when people say that they are asking for information, they do not actually want that information.  I have neglected the precept that candour is explicitly unwelcome.  I have denied that attempts to maintain hard-won grounds frequently undermine said grounds instead.  And I have broken the sacred rule, "Thou shalt not piss off thy allies."

What must I do to atone?

nucleo, who really must start acting like a person who knows better
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #353 on: May 08, 2012, 12:36:46 PM »

(related to nucleo's)

Miss STFU,

I think that I should get a medal for forbearance in not communicating psychological insights to fellow academics.  After all, most academics have enterred their fields in order to never experience the real reasons for doing what they're doing.  An acadmic area of study provides a rich, deep tissue of complication.  Fascination with it helps one avoid seeing the structure of one's motivations.  Maybe it's a good thing.

Many theoretical perspectives even say that there's no deep structure-- I doubt that they're right, but...

I once tried to tell a group of sociology grad students about their group process.  They uniformly became mad at me, and I haven't tried it since.

Taste o' the Sixties
science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat

« Reply #354 on: May 08, 2012, 12:52:54 PM »

Dear Miss STFU,

We have a college level research committee which is moribund, in large part due to the (lack of) leadership of the current chair. He is now stepping down and has asked me to take over but I have not responded to him with a decision. (And indeed, I have suggested to our Associate Dean that he should chair.)

My interests are at a higher level but I also have ideas for turning around this committee, making it worthwhile, and generally just introducing some vitality. These ideas could bring me in conflict with the Dean (which wouldn't break my heart) or - just possibly - allow her to claim credit for my work (which would). I am sufficiently senior to be unafraid of conflict and this could be a relatively low risk test bed for some novel ideas.

If asked tomorrow, should I agree to take over as chair? Or, should I contact the current chair this evening to ask whether the position is still open and discuss options? Or, should I just STFU?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely yours,
SE

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
larryc
Troll Proof

« Reply #355 on: May 08, 2012, 1:56:43 PM »

Dear SE:

Since you are fairly senior there is no need to STFU. Rather the questions are 1) is this something you actually want to do? and 2) is there a reasonable possibility of success? It sounds like the first answer is yes, what about the second?

Miss STFU

science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat

« Reply #356 on: May 08, 2012, 3:39:00 PM »

Dear SE:

Since you are fairly senior there is no need to STFU. Rather the questions are 1) is this something you actually want to do? and 2) is there a reasonable possibility of success? It sounds like the first answer is yes, what about the second?

Miss STFU

Dear Miss STFU

I'm unsure as to whether this is something I want to do, which is why STFU seems attractive.

However, I have emailed the current chair and the position is still open. I hope to have a quick chat with him before the meeting.

In terms of your remit, describing what I want to do with the committee while being careful in my description of current practice across our unit will be challenging. I suspect that's where I'll really need to STFU tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice,
SE

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
ptarmigan
grad student & chief dork dumpling

« Reply #357 on: May 09, 2012, 5:52:45 PM »

Dear Miss STFU,

When the department secretary sends out an email that is an urban legend, that is a good time to STFU, right?

Know-It-All Grad Student

He's on my roster, but if I've taught him anything, it isn't math.
larryc
Troll Proof

« Reply #358 on: May 09, 2012, 6:28:37 PM »

Dear Know it All:

Consider this a part of your training.

Miss STFU

polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #359 on: May 10, 2012, 3:54:06 PM »

Dear Miss STFU,

I had a reply to the faculty list serve current discussion all written.  I even got to the point where the email program said, "You will be sending this to X00 people", and then heard a collective fora shout of "STFU!  You're leaving in a week.  This is not your problem.  STFU!"

I deleted that email and didn't send it.

I assume X00-10 people would be grateful if they knew.

Thanks,

STFU in Appalachia
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 3:54:32 PM by polly_mer » Logged

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36
  Print  

Jump to: