• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 11:14:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17
  Print  
Author Topic: "Have you heard?" Wiki  (Read 367727 times)
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #210 on: December 05, 2011, 1:00:49 PM »

Sigh. The week is almost over and crickets continue to chirp on the wiki and in my inbox. My heart does a little leap each time the gmail tab shows a new mail and sinks ever so slightly when I see that it is yet another notice about parking.

We must work at the same school... I've never had so many emails about parking in my life.

In my field in MLA that I am following out of curiosity, there are 60 job postings and only *2* of those have updates about interviews scheduled.  My recollection is that in previous years there were definitely many more by this time in the semester.

However. . . this is the first year that MLA is in Jan. (two weeks later than normal), and SCs may be postponing the task of finalizing the interview list until after the end-of-the-semester craziness?  Hard to know.  I think people are adjusting to the new timing.  It's also possible that everyone on that board has suddenly become super cautious about posting their updates, but I kinda doubt it.  There is something satisfying about being able to post that you have an interview.

But once those updates start rolling in, there is a kind of "popcorn" week, if you know what I mean.  It may be this week -- good luck, everyone!  Hang in there -- the waiting is very taxing.

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #211 on: December 09, 2011, 2:53:05 PM »

I haven't heard anything formal. Though, I'm quite sure where I stand, thanks to having colleagues applying to the same position.

Two definite rejections--one from wiki and one because I know the successful candidate. They notified him almost immediately after the phone interview.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
lasquires
Hopelessly Abject

Awaiting the zombie apocalypse.

« Reply #212 on: December 09, 2011, 5:06:25 PM »

I am really surprised there hasn't been more activity this week. Several interviews were scheduled, but it still amounts to less than a quarter of the openings in my field. I wonder how many SC's are going to schedule during the week leading up to MLA (yikes). I've already bought my ticket and reserved a hotel room for three nights, and I'm just planning to think of the conference as a networking/vacation opportunity if I don't have any interviews.

Live every week like it's Shark Week--30 Rock
litdawg
Ambidextrous Humanities Player

God & the CHE fora help those who help themselves.

« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2011, 7:32:38 PM »

I am really surprised there hasn't been more activity this week. Several interviews were scheduled, but it still amounts to less than a quarter of the openings in my field. I wonder how many SC's are going to schedule during the week leading up to MLA (yikes). I've already bought my ticket and reserved a hotel room for three nights, and I'm just planning to think of the conference as a networking/vacation opportunity if I don't have any interviews.

Even though I'm on one of the lagging committees that is still waiting on HR to approve our search pool so we can invite people for MLA interviews, I too am surprised at how few MLA interviews were reported on my wiki. Other MLA fields seemed pretty active though.

The heart of the wise man is tranquil.  Chuang Tzu
corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2011, 11:46:02 PM »

Even though I'm on one of the lagging committees that is still waiting on HR to approve our search pool so we can invite people for MLA interviews, I too am surprised at how few MLA interviews were reported on my wiki. Other MLA fields seemed pretty active though.

Litdawg, I assume that means that y'all are planning to call me for an interview just as soon as that HR approval comes through. :-)

It may just be bourbon in the garden today, and making the best of things.
litdawg

« Reply #215 on: December 11, 2011, 10:59:42 AM »

Litdawg, I assume that means that y'all are planning to call me for an interview just as soon as that HR approval comes through. :-)
But of course, Corny. You'll know it's me because I'll talk about your a-maize-ing qualifications ;)

Seriously folks--the hoops that have to be jumped through at some schools! Dean's approval for the search pool, then HR's approval. Then we can meet for the interview list. Then approvals from Dean and HR again. THEN we get to schedule with the candidates. Maybe we need to add a few categories on the wiki: Interview list at HR for approval, etc.

anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #216 on: December 14, 2011, 1:04:15 PM »

Other than the vandalism, my field's wiki has been relatively mum, or at least in the searches I'm following most avidly.  Most searches have concluded phone/Skype interviews unless they had really late closing dates, and we've already had the post-conference flurry of updates.  I'm guessing we'll get a basket of campus invitation updates for the next week, and then not much more news until late January.

Litdawg, thanks for the SC-side info on timing!

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #217 on: December 14, 2011, 3:11:54 PM »

But of course, Corny. You'll know it's me because I'll talk about your a-maize-ing qualifications ;)

Somewhat belated rimshot for this. :-)

Anisogamy, that's interesting. On my wiki, on the other hand, someone has very conscientiously gone through and, for every job where interviews have been scheduled, added MLA INTERVIEW SCHEDULED (yes, in all caps) after that school's name in the table of contents at the top of the page as well. I'm not sure that I need to have that SHOUTED at me, but it's possible that I'm getting a little twitchy. `Tis the season.

tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing

« Reply #218 on: December 14, 2011, 3:43:27 PM »

On my wiki, on the other hand, someone has very conscientiously gone through and, for every job where interviews have been scheduled, added MLA INTERVIEW SCHEDULED (yes, in all caps) after that school's name in the table of contents at the top of the page as well. I'm not sure that I need to have that SHOUTED at me, but it's possible that I'm getting a little twitchy. `Tis the season.

Actually, the person who's doing those updates is probably one of the paid moderators.  I would recommend that you check simply by looking at the history tab, but . . . several times I've done that lately, it has completely frozen my entire system (not just my browser).  If you can access that info, it will probably show the same poster making those additions (on the page I'm looking at, it's a very nice mod named "Una").  I actually assumed the moderator was trying to find a way of making those updates very easy to spot as you scroll down the list of jobs.  On the page I'm following, I think another 6 depts. have scheduled interviews but wow, it's late -- especially for getting to Seattle!

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #219 on: December 14, 2011, 4:37:05 PM »

On my wiki, on the other hand, someone has very conscientiously gone through and, for every job where interviews have been scheduled, added MLA INTERVIEW SCHEDULED (yes, in all caps) after that school's name in the table of contents at the top of the page as well. I'm not sure that I need to have that SHOUTED at me, but it's possible that I'm getting a little twitchy. `Tis the season.

Actually, the person who's doing those updates is probably one of the paid moderators.  I would recommend that you check simply by looking at the history tab, but . . . several times I've done that lately, it has completely frozen my entire system (not just my browser).  If you can access that info, it will probably show the same poster making those additions (on the page I'm looking at, it's a very nice mod named "Una").  I actually assumed the moderator was trying to find a way of making those updates very easy to spot as you scroll down the list of jobs.  On the page I'm following, I think another 6 depts. have scheduled interviews but wow, it's late -- especially for getting to Seattle!

Yeah, I know - and it *is* helpful. Just a little, you know, forceful too.

Re: timing, I have to suspect that some departments are like, "gosh, now that the MLA isn't until January, we probably don't even need to start reading applications until after we get our final grades turned in!" Well, that's probably not true. But there is more leeway than there used to be.

fraggles

« Reply #220 on: December 14, 2011, 8:42:35 PM »

I don't know Una, but I heart her. The all caps MLA interview updates have greatly reduced my time on the wiki, making me a far more productive grader. Although i just saw that interviews were scheduled for one of my favorite positions, and it did raise my blood pressure a bit.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #221 on: December 21, 2011, 3:54:55 PM »

The two wiki pages I check update like crazy at the phone call stage but everyone suddenly becomes mum when it's time for the campus visits. I know they are ongoing.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #222 on: December 27, 2011, 7:23:38 PM »

I don't know why I checked the wiki when I was already feeling dismal about my prospects.  The wiki brings nothing but bad news.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
leobloom
Where Planted

What kind of man reads CHE Fora?

« Reply #223 on: January 20, 2012, 6:11:36 PM »

I don't know why I checked the wiki when I was already feeling dismal about my prospects.  The wiki brings nothing but bad news.
That's actually accurate. I'm now instituting a censorship on snail-mail and wiki effective immediately, since these can only bring bad news. E-mail is ambivalent, so it has to be checked, but not too frequently. The only source of just good news can be the phone (direct call for invitation or an "ambush" interview) or from advisors/references telling they've been contacted wrt some jobs.
(I am in a field without wiki, but an interdisciplinary subfield has one, and this is where a good chunk of my applications went.)
litdawg

« Reply #224 on: January 21, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »

The wiki had a function when things were in an earlier stage. Now that I'm at the post-convention interview/campus visit stage, there's not much to be gained from the wiki. I think it's less common for people to post information about campus invitations, much less offers, unless this is done by a proxy "I heard that. . . " I certainly don't feel the need to post my campus interview, nor would I post news about an offer until after I accepted it. If everyone feels as I do about this stage of things, then I see a definite endpoint to the wiki's value. Truly, once a person is in the smaller pool of candidates, the wiki does nothing to enhance the experience of the process. However, I will post "offer accepted" if I'm in that camp, and I'll be grateful to any other candidates who do the same as I'd like to see a definitive conclusion to searches I'm in.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17
  Print  

Jump to: