• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 10:29:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: where to post question/comment re:training undergrads for PhD  (Read 2961 times)
ucprof

« on: September 25, 2009, 4:10:12 AM »

I'd like to start a discussion on the transition from undergrad to PhD (specifically in the sciences), aimed at faculty training students.  This is in part motivated by a frustration at the lack of highly trained US undergrads applying to R1 PhD programs (from all over, but my particular peeve is the lack of training from SLACs - where they just do not seem to focus as much on PhD preparation) but also the gap I see in my own R1 public school where we educate the masses at the undergrad level while having this elite PhD program (with a chasm in between - which I also find incredibly frustrating).    Where to post this?  The graduate education is focused on grad students, and the prof series are are focused on career paths and levels rather than training PhD students.  The threads that talk about teaching seem to be aimed mostly at undergrad teaching issues and many of them at the humanities.

Regarding the SLACs - there are times I want to reach through the PhD application and shake the advisor of the student - given the list of courses taken and seeming disregard for necessary background for a PhD program.  Many excellent students that are not admitted to our program because they need to go back to school for another year because someone told them it was just fine to take Basketweaving III and Ecliptic Dance IV instead of Advanced Organic Chemistry or Statistical Mechanics.  That and the courses at both types of schools that should, but do not really, train the students for the level of material in the PhD program.
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 4:17:23 PM »

The "In the Classroom" or "School & College" forum is probably your best bet.

Best wishes,

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: