• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:26:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 147
  Print  
Author Topic: Oxford Round Table  (Read 507818 times)
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a
Distinguished Senior Member

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #2055 on: October 30, 2011, 6:12:55 PM »

I've given up hope of ever being invited.  Sigh.

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #2056 on: October 30, 2011, 6:59:03 PM »

Two spaces in OFP's last post.  Do I win a prize?

p-r-e-s-i-d-e-n-t.  DvF got it, along with other guesses.

Does that mean I've won a prize of being president or does the prize go to DvF for counting underscores?

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #2057 on: October 30, 2011, 7:27:24 PM »

I was pulling for the plumber. - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #2058 on: October 30, 2011, 7:34:35 PM »

Two spaces in OFP's last post.  Do I win a prize?
p-r-e-s-i-d-e-n-t.  DvF got it, along with other guesses.
Does that mean I've won a prize of being president or does the prize go to DvF for counting underscores?

Your prize is:  An invitation to the ORT special symposium for professors of engineering, physics, and chemistry who teach far too many students with no start-up funds, and who are interested in complex, stretchable hydrocarbons.

Taste o' the Sixties
leobloom
Where Planted

What kind of man reads CHE Fora?

« Reply #2059 on: April 07, 2012, 10:24:31 PM »

So then I begin to wonder why it had to be me the one to pull the shortest straw and be bragged in the face by the Dean about hu's recent ORT talk during my recent campus visit.

Why, oh, why?
qrypt
Qryptacular & not really a Member-Moderator

I just LOVE that VOICE. It's so NICE

« Reply #2060 on: April 08, 2012, 7:58:51 AM »

So then I begin to wonder why it had to be me the one to pull the shortest straw and be bragged in the face by the Dean about hu's recent ORT talk during my recent campus visit.

Why, oh, why?

If you tell us your Dean's name, we'll have an easier time answering your question. 

"Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!"
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

« Reply #2061 on: April 08, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »

W-o-r-m-e-r

Taste o' the Sixties
senay
Wholesome

« Reply #2062 on: October 12, 2012, 11:13:40 AM »

I receive this "invitation" in my inbox this morning.  It looks like another ORT -- note the fee of 645 pounds to attend.  The name also echoes the Literary London conference that is sponsored by the U of London, which also published a peer reviewed journal.  Anyone know anything about this conference or get an invitation?  (Note that my literary field is not British or Victorian, so there is no reason to invite me.)

Literary London Symposium
The Oxford and Cambridge Club in London
December 15 - December 17, 2012

We would like to invite you to attend the Literary London Symposium to be held at The Oxford and Cambridge Club in London during the dates of December 15 – December 17, 2012.

The symposium will entertain papers written on subjects of literature, culture, arts, religion, capitalism and public education of the Dickensian Era through the Victorian Age. The Age of Dickens and the Age of Victoria were, combined, possibly the most dynamic century ever to exist in the English speaking world.   It was in 1837 that Victoria assumed the crown and in that same year Dickens’ published the final installment of the serial publication of The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.

If you are interested in presenting a paper related to the Victorian Age or Charles Dickens, the abstracts are due by November 15, 2012.  You are invited to make a presentation and to provide a paper to our advisory council for possible inclusion in a special Literary London volume.

The meeting will begin on Saturday afternoon at 1:30 pm at The Oxford and Cambridge Club and end on Monday at 5:30 pm that evening.  Lunch will be provided on Sunday and Monday along with tea/coffee breaks. The conference will host a special ‘Dickens and Victorian Age’ tour of London on Sunday afternoon after lunch.  The conference fee is 645 British Pounds.

Participants in the meeting will have access to an array of academic, cultural and social resources including the Charles Dickens Museum and Westminster Abbey, where Charles Dickens is buried. It is also well worth exploring the streets, courts and alleys on either side of Fleet Street. Dickens' publishers' offices were in the area and he used it in many of his novels including Barnaby Rudge, David Copperfield, Great Expectations, Martin Chuzzlewit, Pickwick Papers, The Tale of Two Cities and Our Mutual Friend. Fleet Street is one of London's ancient roads, linking the merchants of the City of London with King's palace at Westminster, and the area has many interesting “Dickensian” buildings, some dating back to the 12th century.

Registration will close on November 15, 2012.  You can register on our web site at www.literarylondonsymposium.com  If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know via email at administrator@literarylondonsymposium.com 

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.
fraa_jad

« Reply #2063 on: October 12, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »

I receive this "invitation" in my inbox this morning.  It looks like another ORT -- note the fee of 645 pounds to attend.  The name also echoes the Literary London conference that is sponsored by the U of London, which also published a peer reviewed journal.  Anyone know anything about this conference or get an invitation?  (Note that my literary field is not British or Victorian, so there is no reason to invite me.)

I did! It was just as nonsensical an invitation for me! I wish these people would leave me alone.

I didn't notice this until your post, but I think this is the most depressing part:

Dickens' publishers' offices were in the area and he used it in many of his novels including Barnaby Rudge, David Copperfield, Great Expectations, Martin Chuzzlewit, Pickwick Papers, The Tale of Two Cities and Our Mutual Friend.

Again, I am no Dickens scholar, but isn't it A Tale of Two Cities?

“y’know, a man with access to nuclear weapons really should never get a bit fighty.”
voracious_vivacious

« Reply #2064 on: October 12, 2012, 1:22:54 PM »

"The Age of Dickens and the Age of Victoria were, combined, possibly the most dynamic century ever to exist in the English speaking world."

Is this a paper from one of my students?
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #2065 on: October 12, 2012, 1:39:18 PM »

"The Age of Dickens and the Age of Victoria were, combined, possibly the most dynamic century ever to exist in the English speaking world."

Is this a paper from one of my students?

How could they be combined?  They are in part the same thing.  And even together they do not constitute a century.

Again, I am no Dickens scholar, but isn't it A Tale of Two Cities?

Yup.  Epic fail, given the ostensible subject of the conference.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

« Reply #2066 on: October 12, 2012, 5:22:52 PM »

Nano-Criminology in Antartica

Dear Professor,

The human community in Antartica is a small one.  Still, the chance for rigorous study of human criminal tendencies on the nano level offers some unique opportunities to study the influence of molecular genetics on deviant and antisocial behavior in a "controlled" setting.

As a professor of __________, we feel that you will be a useful and unique addition to our delegation, which will be going to Antartica during the week of ________ to _______.  If you are interested in this one of a kind opportunity, and for a chance to achieve a high quality publication in our proceedings for an extra fee of $500 US, please send $10,000 US to Name on Request Conferences, Box 1150, Mail Boxes Etc., Miami FL 51550 by cashier's check.  You will notified when and where to meet your surface transportation.

The Program Committee
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 5:24:20 PM by oldfullprof » Logged

Taste o' the Sixties
dismalist
Hardly a

Often wrong, never in doubt.

« Reply #2067 on: October 12, 2012, 7:05:14 PM »

"The symposium will entertain papers written on subjects of literature, culture, arts, religion, capitalism and public education of the Dickensian Era through the Victorian Age."

Haven't been invited by these clowns in a long time. I suppose I could write about capitalism of the Dickensian Era, perhaps even through the Victorian Age, or anything else, for that matter.

This is a pure "reduce your taxable income while taking a vacation with us" gig. Am considering whistle-blowing to the IRS. Actually, better not, for -- treated equally -- many conference series would have to go down the tubes. :-(

--Dismalist, Utilitarian, but only in principle.

We have met the enemy, and they is us.      
                                            --Pogo
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #2068 on: October 12, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »

I've given up hope of ever being invited.  Sigh.

A year later, still no invitation.  A ton of spamfrences and spam journals, relating to biological sciences and engineering, but ORT continues to ignore me.

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #2069 on: October 12, 2012, 11:09:54 PM »

I've given up hope of ever being invited.  Sigh.

A year later, still no invitation.  A ton of spamfrences and spam journals, relating to biological sciences and engineering, but ORT continues to ignore me.

ORT doesn't love me, either. However, I am overloaded with spam journals that give "one week review turnaround and only a publication fee of $250."

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:10:14 PM by octoprof » Logged

Love your neighbor.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 147
  Print  

Jump to: