• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 11:54:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Legality of posting papers to academia.edu?  (Read 5012 times)
bcohlan1
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: April 13, 2012, 1:32:04 PM »

Do any of you have any notion of the legal liabilities inherent in posting your own published work on academia.edu (not merely linking to the journal or jstor)?

I was under the impression that the journal in question actually owned any articles it had published, and that I (the author) would violate copyright or some such by uploading it. Is this wrong? (This has terrified me as well when sending copies of my articles as writing samples, but this is a somewhat less visible act.)

People keep showing up at my academia.edu page from Google searches that are clearly looking for my articles, and I'm wondering if I'm disappointing some who may not have ready online access through their institutions to these journals.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
bibliothecula
Academic ronin

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 2:01:40 PM »

I post as many of my articles as I can at my academia.edu site. If you have signed the rights away (which I don't recommend, but is sometimes required for publication), the publisher gives permission for posting pre- or post-prints, and I've never had any trouble. I've also posted them without asking for permission, and no one's ever asked me to remove them. And, after all, it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. :) I'd much rather take my chances and have my stuff out there for people to cite than not.

As for writing samples, send whatever represents you best. That is extremely limited distribution, and no one is going to ding you for that.

I came. I saw. I cited.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 2:45:18 PM »

Just do it.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
_jesus_

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:00:59 PM »

Sharing is good for the soul.

You may shoot me with your words,   
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, Iíll rise.
collegekidsmom

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 10:03:04 PM »

You can do anything you want of course, but if you have signed away your copyright to a journal publisher, you should check and see what you are allowed to do. You can check the permissions on the journal website,  but it is much easier to go to Sherpa Romeo (just google it) and check for journal title or publisher. It will tell you what the policies are. Often there is a restriction on the publisher version, but you may be allowed rights to your own final version of the article to post to the web. If you have a digital repository, either subject or institutional, you can deposit the allowable version there first and then you can link to the version out of that.
It's best to check and reserve rights during the initial publication process so you know you will be able to do more with your own work.
The final version that you will lilkely have more rights to post would be called 'author's final post peer reviewed version," "postprint" or "AV" (author version).
Preprints are also often allowed but that may not be the version you want out there on the web. You can put your final author version, if allowed, in more than academia.edu. If you want, you can put if in a bunch of places, increasing visibility. You might post to an institutional repository, subject repository, academia.edu, your website, etc. All that is legal if the the publisher is listed on sherpa as favorable to posting (self archiving).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: