• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 10:29:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mention relationship to TT faculty member in non-academic job app  (Read 8979 times)
academik

« on: April 07, 2012, 4:36:08 AM »

I am currently applying for entry-level administrative positions in higher ed institutions. There is currently an opening at the institution where my partner is currently a TT fac mem that I am especially ecstatic about. Should I mention my partner at all in the cover letter or might it detract from my serious commitment? If so, does anyone have any advice on  a discreet or professional way to mention this in the CL?
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>
Distinguished Senior Member

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 5:24:50 AM »

Hell no.

If your partner is sufficiently well-connected for this to have a positive impact, the people who count will already know about you and your relationship.

By the way, your second sentence is ambiguous.  Are you particularly ecstatic about the opening, the institution, or your partner?  (I don't really care myself, but I wanted to draw your attention to the need for care in writing your CL.) - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
idspike

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 1:19:28 PM »

Check the application form.  The forms at my U have a question specifically about this.  My understanding is that it only becomes an issue if an applicant would be in a direct supervisory relationship with a family member.

Otherwise, what DvF said. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: