When students want to co-teach class

(1/2) > >>

teutonictitan:
Hello.

I work at a SLACish college in Europe that is attached to a major research university.

I teach a first-year survey course in the humanities. I have 3 final semester students in my class who are trying to co-teach my course. They say things like: "as an advanced historian and near professor such as myself, I would like to talk about my subjective opinions on topic X."

So far I have restrained myself, but they are doing it more often now. Clearly I need to assert control. How can I signal to them, subtly but surely, that they should STFU?

mclower:
That snowflake needs a wake-up call! She is nowhere near being a professor. Ask her how her tenure portfolio is looking and which college hired her.

prof_twocents:
Insist that if students want to ask a question or make a statement, they must first raise their hand and get permission from you. Then mostly ignore the 3 would be co-teachers when they raise their hands. After a while, they'll get the message.

prytania3:
There aren't too many things posted on this thread that I haven't gone through at some point in my career--but this has never happened to me.

It's a curiousity, indeed.

field_mouse:
What exactly are you restraining yourself from doing?  Laughing?

I had a class with FOUR of these, but it was all seniors and grad students, and a pretty small class.  I don't know how this would work for you -- but I gave them a project on a class topic and told them they were going to teach the class one meeting.  They learned that this was far, far more difficult than it looked, and after that they were content to be students rather than professors.  (Of course, each also learned his or her topic in more depth than than they would have otherwise.  And the whole class showed up and was polite when it was a matter of supporting a peer.)

I will say that one of the seniors did an excellent job lecturing, as well as I could have done myself.  That person is now a professor in my field at another school, and a valued colleague.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page