• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:07:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 107
  Print  
Author Topic: shoe options for female faculty in the humanities  (Read 336792 times)
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am
Distinguished Senior Member

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #1050 on: December 20, 2012, 4:33:49 PM »

I wish I lived near a Fluevog store. I would love to try them on. I'm not just not going to buy any shoes online that I cannot easily return. When I'm spending money like that, I am very picky about all aspects of a shoe and won't keep it unless it's perfect.

I see that they have some independent stores listed that carry their shoes--one is 3.5 hours from me, but who knows what kind of selection they have.

In other news, Santa is bringing me these: http://www.zappos.com/miz-mooz-bloom-red?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_brand_page

There is an incredibly awesome shoe shop about three blocks from my campus.  I invite you all to come visit and go shoe shopping, as I don't get into that shop nearly as often as I'd like to.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
zuzu_
Frakking

« Reply #1051 on: December 20, 2012, 7:27:15 PM »

Santa has fun taste in boots!

<whispering> I think I may be the only academic who doesn't particularly care for Fluevogs...Somehow they just don't do it for me.

Some of the Fluevogs look a bit Dr. Suess-ish to me, but others I like. I'd like to try them on.

Miz Mooz is a brand I only recently noticed; they do remind a little of Fluevog. Some of the styles in both brands have a bit of Steampunk look, which I like if it's just a hint. But I don't want to look like I'm in costume.

Santa shipped my boots early, so I've already tried them on. They are comfy and fab. The toe box has a unique shape which you can't see too well in the photos, but I like it.
tanit

« Reply #1052 on: December 23, 2012, 10:56:05 PM »

Santa has fun taste in boots!

<whispering> I think I may be the only academic who doesn't particularly care for Fluevogs...Somehow they just don't do it for me.

<whispering> You are not alone.
zuzu_
Frakking

« Reply #1053 on: December 30, 2012, 2:11:43 PM »

In need of some advice.

Looking to replace my plain black Dansko professionals with something similarly black and cloggish, but slightly more feminine, hip, and dressy. But I still want to be able to comfortably walk 3 miles or so.

Anyone have any experience with Ariat or Born clogs of similar styles? Or any other suggestions of what I should check out?
dr_prephd

« Reply #1054 on: December 30, 2012, 5:51:32 PM »

Zuzu, I know you said you wanted to *replace* your Danskos, but have you thought about these?

http://www.footwearetc.com/Womens/Clogs/_/Dansko-Professional-Clog-Blue-Marbled-Patent-Leather-Womens/?gdftrk=gdfV269_a_7c99_a_7c6744_a_7c25_d_373&gclid=CMfr0YmOw7QCFUOK4AodzgwAYA

They are different enough from the regular black Danskos that they've got a bit of a feminine edge. I've had my eye on them for a while, but haven't yet been able to justify their purchase. Almost splurged over the weekend, in fact.

zuzu_
Frakking

« Reply #1055 on: December 30, 2012, 6:04:14 PM »

Zuzu, I know you said you wanted to *replace* your Danskos, but have you thought about these?

http://www.footwearetc.com/Womens/Clogs/_/Dansko-Professional-Clog-Blue-Marbled-Patent-Leather-Womens/?gdftrk=gdfV269_a_7c99_a_7c6744_a_7c25_d_373&gclid=CMfr0YmOw7QCFUOK4AodzgwAYA

They are different enough from the regular black Danskos that they've got a bit of a feminine edge. I've had my eye on them for a while, but haven't yet been able to justify their purchase. Almost splurged over the weekend, in fact.

I agree those are sweet. However I'm feeling the need for something with a slightly sleeker, more feminine shape. I wear a size 40, so the professionals can really feel like clodhoppers.  I do own some black patent Mary Jane-style Dansko professionals, which I am keeping around.
dr_prephd

« Reply #1056 on: December 31, 2012, 10:36:35 AM »

I agree those are sweet. However I'm feeling the need for something with a slightly sleeker, more feminine shape. I wear a size 40, so the professionals can really feel like clodhoppers.  I do own some black patent Mary Jane-style Dansko professionals, which I am keeping around.

Ah, gotcha.  

Are you looking for clogs in particular?

I can't speak to Ariat or Born clogs, but I really like my Sanita clogs. (Although they're so much like Danskos, that you might be looking for something totally different.) These are looking especially funky & cute (OMG! Interchangeable Straps!): http://www.amazon.com/Sanita-Womens-Demi-Jane-7-5-8/dp/B007PQSUHM/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1356963930&sr=1-1&keywords=sanita+mary+jane+red

Though they are not clogg-y at all, I have been recently loving Camper: http://www.camper.com/en/eshop/productos.xhtml?type=W
They have a funky European look to them and are super, super comfortable. I have a pair of heels, a pair of boots, and just splurged on a pair of wedges for a Christmas gift to myself (they haven't arrived yet), but I can't wait 'til they do!

I'm struggling with a pair of red Fluevog heels that I love, but can't figure out how to wear regularly. I think it's the Dr. Suess-ish element that keeps me from rocking them all the time. I always get tons of compliments on them, but sometimes I don't want people noticing my shoes everywhere I go.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:39:07 AM by dr_prephd » Logged

scampster

« Reply #1057 on: December 31, 2012, 10:41:05 AM »

I'm struggling with a pair of red Fluevog heels that I love, but can't figure out how to wear regularly. I think it's the Dr. Suess-ish element that keeps me from rocking them all the time. I always get tons of compliments on them, but sometimes I don't want people noticing my shoes everywhere I go.

Well, you don't buy red Fluevogs with the intent of them not being noticed, do you?!

Are you wearing them with pants?

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
dr_prephd

« Reply #1058 on: December 31, 2012, 10:44:39 AM »

Well, you don't buy red Fluevogs with the intent of them not being noticed, do you?!

Ahahah, no I guess not. Touche.

So far, I've really only worn them with skirts / dresses if I go out on the weekends. I'm looking to wear them to work more frequently, so I guess wearing them with long trousers would be a good way to get more use out of them without being quite so flashy.

scampster

« Reply #1059 on: December 31, 2012, 10:47:53 AM »

So far, I've really only worn them with skirts / dresses if I go out on the weekends. I'm looking to wear them to work more frequently, so I guess wearing them with long trousers would be a good way to get more use out of them without being quite so flashy.

Yeah, I find wearing long trousers minimizes the attention. But my bright blue ones still attract the eye (I'm actually pretty positive that you posted a link to those bright blue ones a couple years back on this very thread, and I went out and bought them.)

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
dr_prephd

« Reply #1060 on: December 31, 2012, 10:56:09 AM »

Yeah, I find wearing long trousers minimizes the attention. But my bright blue ones still attract the eye (I'm actually pretty positive that you posted a link to those bright blue ones a couple years back on this very thread, and I went out and bought them.)

Oh, I think I remember the ones your'e talking about. I wanted them so badly, but they were out of my size. Sigh. First World Problems.

janewales

« Reply #1061 on: January 02, 2013, 9:31:14 PM »

Just got these for the new year:

http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w%5B0%5D=search%3Aprepare&p=7&pp=1&view=detail&colourID=3302

I do love Fluevogs, though I can see why not everyone would. Some are more flamboyant than others, and I tend to avoid the wildest of them myself, though I often admire them on other people.
dr_prephd

« Reply #1062 on: January 02, 2013, 9:39:03 PM »

http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w%5B0%5D=search%3Aprepare&p=7&pp=1&view=detail&colourID=3302

I do love Fluevogs, though I can see why not everyone would. Some are more flamboyant than others, and I tend to avoid the wildest of them myself, though I often admire them on other people.

Those are super cute. I was actually eyeing them, but do not currently have any funds in my shoe budget.

baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #1063 on: January 02, 2013, 10:11:17 PM »

Those are super cute. I was actually eyeing them, but do not currently have any funds in my shoe budget.

Those red ones are such a soft red, almost an orange. I don't have enough orange shoes.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
prof_smartypants
Treasure-pilferin' and grog-swillin'

You're getting hosed by small minds with no game.

« Reply #1064 on: January 02, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »

On a different note, I couldn't afford fluevogs this year, but I needed a casual sneaker that could get me to and from work, and be good for office hour days. I got some fly pumas:

http://www.amazon.com/PUMA-Womens-Supersuede-Fashion-Sneaker/dp/B0059BJH3G/ref=sr_1_6?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1357179499&sr=1-6&keywords=puma

I am the hippest.

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 107
  Print  

Jump to: