• February 8, 2016
February 08, 2016, 7:20:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1024
  Print  
Author Topic: Job market check-in thread  (Read 2261370 times)
msparticularity
Distinguished Senior Member

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #13080 on: December 20, 2012, 1:24:10 pm »

Still crickets here. If I don't hear anything today or tomorrow, it will be nothing until *maybe* the first week of January. The worst part is that my dissertation is actually humming along well right now and is almost at a tipping point for finishing....but with no job prospects lined up I need to stop working on it, work much slower, or work on something else.

I would suggest that you keep working on this particular chapter at your current rate, so you can get it to where TTO will sign off on that part. If you end up spending another year there, it could be focused on getting some articles from it out, and maybe doing a bit of revising in light of reviewer comments on article submissions.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
mc_elegans
String bean-like

« Reply #13081 on: December 20, 2012, 1:50:20 pm »

Whine away; that's what this thread is all about! Don't get in touch with the SC, though; as you've probably noticed if you've been lurking here for long, anything they tell you about the timeline is likely to be misleading and to just make you crazier when--as always happens--things don't run along accordingly.

Great advice, as always msparticularity. I'm glad your'e here. Perhaps you can give me some perspective. I had 6 phone/skype interviews over the last 2 months. At least 4 went very well. One phone interview was the end of November, and they informed me by email that they would be in touch in the New Year if I am selected for an on campus interview. Lo and behold, they called me last Monday to invite me for an interview in January (hooray!). The other places gave me a vague timeline that they would be in touch "before the holidays". I have heard nothing. Should I figure I was not selected for an on-campus at these places, or do you think decisions are stretching into the New Year? I need to think positively!

Science doesn't give a s*** what you believe.
lohai0

« Reply #13082 on: December 20, 2012, 2:40:42 pm »

Still crickets here. If I don't hear anything today or tomorrow, it will be nothing until *maybe* the first week of January. The worst part is that my dissertation is actually humming along well right now and is almost at a tipping point for finishing....but with no job prospects lined up I need to stop working on it, work much slower, or work on something else.

I would suggest that you keep working on this particular chapter at your current rate, so you can get it to where TTO will sign off on that part. If you end up spending another year there, it could be focused on getting some articles from it out, and maybe doing a bit of revising in light of reviewer comments on article submissions.

Probably a good call. Other Grad Student got a conference interview. So it's looking more and more like a 5th year. Don't I want to hoard dissertation publications for the TT though? I have maybe 10 articles backlogged from non-dissertation data. Shouldn't I be trying to get those out first?

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #13083 on: December 20, 2012, 2:46:47 pm »

Probably a good call. Other Grad Student got a conference interview. So it's looking more and more like a 5th year. Don't I want to hoard dissertation publications for the TT though? I have maybe 10 articles backlogged from non-dissertation data. Shouldn't I be trying to get those out first?

Diss done first, then hit the articles hard.

Love your neighbor.

Your new cephaloverlord.
ALL HAIL TO THE OCTO!!!

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
lohai0

« Reply #13084 on: December 20, 2012, 2:49:01 pm »

But if the dissertation is done, don't I graduate to unemployment?

baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #13085 on: December 20, 2012, 4:13:54 pm »

Keep humming along. I am so grateful that my writing flowed during last winter. I am astounded at how much I wrote before I hit a dry patch.

Humming along = reserves for a dry time.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
seniorscholar

« Reply #13086 on: December 20, 2012, 4:17:45 pm »

But if the dissertation is done, don't I graduate to unemployment?

Check the regulations! (At my uni, "done" only means you've stopped writing "defended and submitted to the graduate office" -- which takes time -- is when you (i.e., your fellowship) stop paying tuition for "dissertation in progress" and stop being paid for teaching or acting as RA or whatever you are currently doing.

We have certainly had overseas students who, with the collusion of their supervisor and the DGS, managed to exist in that state (on the student visa) for 2 or 3 years until they accepted a job that provided their employment visa. And for one of them, the book version of the dissertation appeared by the end of the first year on the TT, which means it must have gone to the publsher as soon as the ink on the job contract was dry.
sockitymcsockum

« Reply #13087 on: December 20, 2012, 4:44:21 pm »

articles articles articles! And take a break in January to apply for all those late-deadline postdocs, too. Sounds like you're almost at the sweet spot where you've still got a buffer between you and the harsher realities of the job market, but your work is advanced enough to produce some real quality publications. Kudos!

seniorscholar is right, 'finished' can mean many things. Have a serious talk with your adviser: if they're at all tuned in to the realities of the job market, they'll realize they're not doing anybody any favors by shoving you out the door into the cold, cruel world of adjuncting.
lohai0

« Reply #13088 on: December 20, 2012, 4:56:12 pm »

articles articles articles! And take a break in January to apply for all those late-deadline postdocs, too. Sounds like you're almost at the sweet spot where you've still got a buffer between you and the harsher realities of the job market, but your work is advanced enough to produce some real quality publications. Kudos!

seniorscholar is right, 'finished' can mean many things. Have a serious talk with your adviser: if they're at all tuned in to the realities of the job market, they'll realize they're not doing anybody any favors by shoving you out the door into the cold, cruel world of adjuncting.

If my advisor wore green sweater vests...ever...I'd suspect PhD Comics of following me around.

corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #13089 on: December 20, 2012, 5:26:19 pm »

Lohai0, I did something like what the others here are suggesting - I defended in November (to be able to truthfully say, at MLA interviews, that I had successfully defended), but enrolled for dissertator credits in the spring semester anyway. That gave me a semester to make the edits suggested by my committee before filing in May, but more important, it meant I was still eligible to be a TA and have my loans deferred and everything else. Although some of these rules (about finishing vs. filing, e.g.) are set at the graduate school or university level, you do need to have your advisor on the same page for such a plan to work, since s/he is presumably the one who schedules your defense and signs off on your continued enrollment. So, once again...I'm sorry you have such a weird advisor.

I would like to report that I had my first-ever Skype interview earlier this week, and it actually went very well! Some of the problems that bug me most about phone interviews (no visual cues) were solved, and on the whole it was one of those interviews that just feels like a great conversation, rather than 20 minutes of torture. Plus, something one of the committee members said in response to one of my questions is going to be useful for my teaching next semester here at VAP U. So I count the interview a success, even if I never hear from them again. This is particularly surprising since I really didn't think I was a great fit for the job going in, and was sort of surprised to get the interview request. Oh job market, you fickle mistress.

Now I am going to try to stop thinking about jobs for a little while (except for that application I need to get out this weekend) and enjoy the holidays before ramping back up for the MLA.

It may just be bourbon in the garden today, and making the best of things.
elemental_labrat

« Reply #13090 on: December 20, 2012, 5:28:28 pm »

Last year a good friend got a call between Christmas and New Year's inviting them for an interview.  You never know what may happen.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #13091 on: December 20, 2012, 5:56:50 pm »

An hour ago I just got an offer at a great R1 school in a great urban center in the south west as an upper level admin/faculty.  I'm completely in shock.  All through the process, I felt it was the longest of a long shot.  I've only worked at small, poor liberal arts colleges in the miswest, so it felt like a real stretch.  The whole time they were making the offer, I kept on wanting to say, but I don't know most of the things you want.  I feel like a complete fraud!  But I think I have to say yes.

So yes, AFTDJ does hold true!

Congrats!

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
histchick

« Reply #13092 on: December 20, 2012, 6:59:43 pm »

Hooray for Brixton!!
brixton

« Reply #13093 on: December 20, 2012, 7:00:49 pm »

Thanks westcoastgirl, histchick and scampster -- and everyone else, hang  in there!  Anything is possible!
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #13094 on: December 20, 2012, 7:29:00 pm »

Not so much in our field. One wants to get the diss "done" in the sense that it's been informally signed off on by the chair, but one really does need to have at least one article from it out, and ideally already published, before going on the market.

And Lohai0, it may or may not do you any good to hoard data. For one thing, some journals insist that for empirical studies, the institutional listing for you must reflect the place where the data was collected. However, the rule at many institutions is that you only get tenure credit for articles that list the new institution. In addition, it is quite likely that the value of your work on the market is going to be judged by whether you've managed to publish it, so you risk not being taken as seriously at some of the higher-powered places if you're not already publishing.

Given your area, too, the best thing you can do for yourself is to get something funded for next year--perhaps a follow-up for some specific aspect of your diss that could be considered pilot data?

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1024
  Print  

Jump to: