• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 7:49:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 872 873 [874] 875 876 ... 1011
  Print  
Author Topic: Job market check-in thread  (Read 2176822 times)
histchick

« Reply #13095 on: December 20, 2012, 6:59:43 PM »

Hooray for Brixton!!
brixton
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #13096 on: December 20, 2012, 7:00:49 PM »

Thanks westcoastgirl, histchick and scampster -- and everyone else, hang  in there!  Anything is possible!
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #13097 on: December 20, 2012, 7:29:00 PM »

Still crickets here. If I don't hear anything today or tomorrow, it will be nothing until *maybe* the first week of January. The worst part is that my dissertation is actually humming along well right now and is almost at a tipping point for finishing....but with no job prospects lined up I need to stop working on it, work much slower, or work on something else.

I would suggest that you keep working on this particular chapter at your current rate, so you can get it to where TTO will sign off on that part. If you end up spending another year there, it could be focused on getting some articles from it out, and maybe doing a bit of revising in light of reviewer comments on article submissions.

Probably a good call. Other Grad Student got a conference interview. So it's looking more and more like a 5th year. Don't I want to hoard dissertation publications for the TT though? I have maybe 10 articles backlogged from non-dissertation data. Shouldn't I be trying to get those out first?

Diss done first, then hit the articles hard.

Not so much in our field. One wants to get the diss "done" in the sense that it's been informally signed off on by the chair, but one really does need to have at least one article from it out, and ideally already published, before going on the market.

And Lohai0, it may or may not do you any good to hoard data. For one thing, some journals insist that for empirical studies, the institutional listing for you must reflect the place where the data was collected. However, the rule at many institutions is that you only get tenure credit for articles that list the new institution. In addition, it is quite likely that the value of your work on the market is going to be judged by whether you've managed to publish it, so you risk not being taken as seriously at some of the higher-powered places if you're not already publishing.

Given your area, too, the best thing you can do for yourself is to get something funded for next year--perhaps a follow-up for some specific aspect of your diss that could be considered pilot data?

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
data5112

« Reply #13098 on: December 20, 2012, 8:07:53 PM »

Thanks westcoastgirl, histchick and scampster -- and everyone else, hang  in there!  Anything is possible!

Yes, major congrats, brixton! Way to show us how to AFTDJ!

I'm writing a teaching statement right now for my last long-listed position of the fall. If I can finish it tonight, the rest of my break will be spent writing a grant proposal and preparing for my upcoming new courses.

That's all I got.

Mr. Potato modeled eight thousand tacky blindfolds on Etsy.
treeoflife

« Reply #13099 on: December 20, 2012, 10:05:28 PM »

I can't believe it, not even one interview the entire semester. The major conference in my field is now over and nothing. I never had such a dry period.
I was sure that with a book contract and nine articles I would have had options.
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #13100 on: December 20, 2012, 10:09:29 PM »

I can't believe it, not even one interview the entire semester. The major conference in my field is now over and nothing. I never had such a dry period.
I was sure that with a book contract and nine articles I would have had options.

With a book contract and nine articles, you've got a heck of a lot more going on than me.  All I've got is my charming personality, and a sans serif font.

Bravo to you for your hard work.

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #13101 on: December 20, 2012, 10:29:37 PM »

Ugh. I'm so sorry. The whole process is inscrutable. There aren't any rules. There's no rhyme or reason. Hang in here :(

My husband's uni just sent out the shortlist for their (history) search. All three of the applicants are quite accomplished. They all have positions, multiple fellowships, at least one books and multiple articles. It seems to make sense.

Meanwhile, in my field, people (my friends) who are ABD, with C.V.s completely void of a "pub" headline, no current positions, have multiple campus interviews. I am truly happy for them (and I'll admit, maybe the part of the reason that I don't feel any bitterness is because I can't apply to more than one or two places a year). Yes, I'm happy for them, but it does make me think, "WTheck is going on here?"
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:30:41 PM by westcoastgirl » Logged

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
treeoflife

« Reply #13102 on: December 20, 2012, 10:34:37 PM »

Could it be that the problem is who you know? My letters are not coming from the top people in the field but I thought that after two post docs and my own publications that will speak for itself.

lookingforanswers

« Reply #13103 on: December 20, 2012, 11:27:43 PM »

Could it be that the problem is who you know? My letters are not coming from the top people in the field but I thought that after two post docs and my own publications that will speak for itself.

I think the whole process is just so random. If a PhD in hand, letters from top people in their fields and publications were the main criteria, then I should have had more that 2 interviews. But it's all been wikijections. And to respond to another post, I also know ABDs who all have 5+ interviews at the MLA in Boston.
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #13104 on: December 21, 2012, 1:14:11 AM »

Is it location? I applied broadly, and I do mean broadly. I landed in the midwest (coming from Montreal), and am really quite happy.

Do I miss Montreal? Oh heck yeah. However, I really like being employed and earning money to feed/clothe/house myself and family.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
marianne_renoir

« Reply #13105 on: December 21, 2012, 4:53:21 AM »

Congrats brixton! (A little late to the party.)

Today was a busy day! I got two MLA interview invites, and one of those was from a place I had listed as "wiki-rejected," so I have learned an important lesson in not giving up. Now I'm up to 3 MLA interviews and one post-MLA Skype interview. Woo!
corny
maizetastic, grained-up

« Reply #13106 on: December 21, 2012, 10:59:55 AM »

Today was a busy day! I got two MLA interview invites, and one of those was from a place I had listed as "wiki-rejected," so I have learned an important lesson in not giving up. Now I'm up to 3 MLA interviews and one post-MLA Skype interview. Woo!

Congratulations! That's awesome! And a good reminder to all of us about the reliability of the wiki.

And congrats to Brixton too, whom I fear I may have skipped over...

It may just be bourbon in the garden today, and making the best of things.
anorak

« Reply #13107 on: December 21, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »

Congratulations! That's awesome! And a good reminder to all of us about the reliability of the wiki.

And congrats to Brixton too, whom I fear I may have skipped over...

Congrats to everyone who's been hearing some good news lately!

For those of you who are abstaining from checking the wiki, or at least limiting the number of times you're checking it, how's that going?
erzuliefreda

« Reply #13108 on: December 21, 2012, 11:15:54 AM »

As one of the OGs of this thread five long years ago, I wanted to stop in and send my best wishes to everyone on the market this year.

I recall well how stressful this time of the season is for AHA/MLA fields, and know that nothing I say can really be comforting. But I will urge everyone to remember that you are more than your career. Don't let academic hierarchy and competition alter your fundamental view of yourself. You have accomplished a great deal already if you have made it this far in the game, and whatever happens next, you deserve to take pride in that.

Best of luck to all.

yemaya
Clown-hating

« Reply #13109 on: December 21, 2012, 3:11:33 PM »

I'm now up to 1 AHA interview and a Skype interview, of the 50+ positions I applied for.  1 new official reject today...or at least I think it was, since it was not addressed to me, but still indicated that interview invites had gone out.  Since I did not receive an invitation, I'm doing the math...

Historians are gossips who tease the dead.  ~Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 872 873 [874] 875 876 ... 1011
  Print  

Jump to: