• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 6:51:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 3315 3316 [3317] 3318 3319 ... 3615
  Print  
Author Topic: Lonely Hearts Club  (Read 5560227 times)
merce
strange attractor
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #49740 on: December 19, 2012, 11:49:44 PM »

Polyartist invited me to his house for dinner.
I declined.
His text response a few hours ago was:
Fvck's sake!

And now he's texting to say he's so sad I'm not going. He hopes it isn't because it would be too weird for me.

oy ve.

How did I get caught in this web? I liked him but am not at all interested in playing third wheel or menage a trois. I just want to cuddle up with a man of my own.

Or would a dog suffice? My brother said he wanted to get me a puppy for Christmas. He claims my landlady can't complain if I have a pet that was given as a gift.

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
canyonwren3

« Reply #49741 on: December 20, 2012, 12:31:04 AM »

A dog is a permanent commitment, so if you think you want a dog and your landlord gives you permission, and you plan on taking care of the dog until death do you part, then you should probably pick out your own dog.  And, a puppy is a huge amount of work.  There are hordes of 2nd hand dogs at shelters and in foster care who are trained and need a home.

A man is a better idea.  As you can return them.  Dogs, no.  It isn't right.

Cwren (who rather abruptly became single "parent" to 2 large dogs and then got a tt job in a big city - trust me, it has been complicated)
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49742 on: December 20, 2012, 12:34:06 AM »

A dog is a permanent commitment, so if you think you want a dog and your landlord gives you permission, and you plan on taking care of the dog until death do you part, then you should probably pick out your own dog.  And, a puppy is a huge amount of work.  There are hordes of 2nd hand dogs at shelters and in foster care who are trained and need a home.

A man is a better idea.  As you can return them.  Dogs, no.  It isn't right.

Cwren (who rather abruptly became single "parent" to 2 large dogs and then got a tt job in a big city - trust me, it has been complicated)

I'm with Wren.

I'm not sure you should pass up a free vacay, though.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #49743 on: December 20, 2012, 1:29:12 AM »

Tell PA that yes, it would be too weird.  Straight up.

And tell your brother you'd prefer a goldfish.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #49744 on: December 20, 2012, 1:53:16 AM »

Merce, your landlady can absolutely say no to a puppy.

Epi, what a fabulous trip! I'm excited for you to have a fabulous time.

My bullpen has another member. I thought he was hitting on my friend at first, but I was so wrong. It's especially cool because I was rocking holey jeans, bright colored sneakers, and messy hair.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 1:54:50 AM by tinyzombie » Logged

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
canyonwren3

« Reply #49745 on: December 20, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »

TZ you are indeed a machine.

You've also inspired me to work on IRL meetings.  How much worse can it be than cyberspace?
Cwren
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #49746 on: December 20, 2012, 3:11:06 PM »

I am in the process of missing a date.  I did email him ahead of time, and it was just a PITA to get to.

I was keen to meet 98. I don't especially give a crap about these guys.  Is it me, or them?

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #49747 on: December 20, 2012, 5:34:18 PM »

What study? I wonder.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #49748 on: December 20, 2012, 6:36:58 PM »

[. . . ]

My brother said he wanted to get me a puppy for Christmas. He claims my landlady can't complain if I have a pet that was given as a gift.

Why would you allow your brother to interfere in your life in a way that will create a long term financial commitment for you and possibly get you evicted? Do you think it's going to change his treatment of you?

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #49749 on: December 21, 2012, 1:41:30 AM »

sorry kids.
I guess it wasn't clear that I am not at all allowed to have pets in my apt. I cannot have pets. I cannot have a dog. I can "want" a dog all the live long day I cannot get one.

That was the point.

My brother is so oblivious to the lives of others that he figures he can just sling a puppy at someone. No consciousness of whether it's a good idea for me or not. No interest in remembering that I live in a no-pets place. He knows I spend a couple of months of the year traveling and so can't have a dog. He knows I like to go out of town for weekends n such and so can't own a pet. He knows I can't manage my money well enough to make it past the 15th of the month with money in the bank. He is just on another planet.

I don't speak to my brother so I wouldn't "allow" him to get me a dog. I mean, Spork, seriously, how could he even manage to find a way to get a dog to where I am? We live 5,000 miles from each other on 2 separate continents.
He doesn't even know where I live people! What's he gonna do, click on a puppy in amazon.com and have it shipped to me? Is there some online puppy mill I don't know about?
He is all fantasy.

Anyway at the grocery today I saw oodles of fetching young men. This town is hopping with potential love interests. If only I could get myself out of the house. Hell, if only I could get myself out of my bed!
Tomorrow I will get up and get out! I will go to a cafe with a book. Do I have to shower? It's so cold. I hate showering. It involves moving. Maybe I'll stay in bed after all.

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
literarylioness13

« Reply #49750 on: December 21, 2012, 6:25:41 AM »

Alright, I got another guy who is professing great attraction for me. We haven't met yet. He's leaving for London tomorrow until January 3, so we can't meet until after the new year. I don't get the guy's who get right into you right away. It seems they come on strong then fade. I explained why I was so cautious.

I do like this guy. He's an economics phd who can discuss ANYTHING. He's also an amateur poet. He's British and Indian. The clincher is he shares a birthday with my ex! I found that too funny.

I'm excited about him, but I've been disappointed in the past. I like to keep my feet on the ground until that face to face meeting.
grasshopper

Grade Despot

« Reply #49751 on: December 21, 2012, 8:41:54 AM »

He is all fantasy.
It's so much easier to dream up ways of being present to other people, than of actually doing it.

epistephiliac
Could serve monkey ass and empty clam shells and still win

The day needs my saving expertise

« Reply #49752 on: December 22, 2012, 5:23:46 PM »

I got a message from a guy on OKC this morning. He seems somewhat interesting, but there are two things that are really putting me off:
1) In the "What are you looking for?" section, he says he's only looking for friends. Everywhere else, he is a little heavier on the sexxxy-talk than I'm keen on. My overall impression is that he's just looking to find someone to "hang out with" for a while, and I am so not into that.
2) As his "most private think I'm willing to admit" he writes: "I like smart women who aren't rabid feminists." The fact that I was immediately pissed off upon reading that probably means I'd qualify as the latter, huh?

Anyway, I've got a bunch of stupid health issues and am overloaded with work, so not really in any position to be dating. Still, it would be nice to have some realistic prospects, or at least someone to daydream about over the holidays.

When asked about my research interests, I quote Kelly Kapoor: "Basically, everything that is awesome."
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #49753 on: December 22, 2012, 5:29:48 PM »

I bet you $100 he usually says "feminazi." Blergh.

I think the cute guy from the party might be a no go - i suggested drinks, but he didn't seem to take the bait. Whatever happens in my love life, I can't be the driver right now. It's my turn to be pursued.

CWren, I am much more comfortable with real life encounters than OKC ones. I would love to delete my profile entirely, but I'm superstitious.

Actor Guy (the one I met while wearing the holey jeans) wants to get together. I don't know when I'll be in town for it, but it's nice that he's in the driver's seat. There's another dude I don't want to date who wants to get together. And after my panic attack ruining my party evening last night, I am going to rally for tonight. I may go on the town with my gay best friend. We are both looking.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
canyonwren3

« Reply #49754 on: December 23, 2012, 1:17:41 PM »

I have been advised several times now by guys on Match that "never married" is huge red flag for someone my age (on top of the career & education factor), and since I was shacked up with someone for so long I should check off "divorced".  Old profile mentioned that I'd been in a very long ltr, but still had "never married" checked off. 

I hate profiles that say "56" and then somewhere in the profile admits that they are >60 but young at heart.  I know Pry would disagree with me on the exact age factor, but I wonder what LHC veterans think about the never married/divorced thing? 

Wren
Pages: 1 ... 3315 3316 [3317] 3318 3319 ... 3615
  Print  

Jump to: