• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:18:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does a junior assistant prof address SC suspicions?  (Read 1343 times)
klfish315

« on: December 20, 2012, 4:19:33 PM »

Dear forum members,

Academe is my second career. I have been teaching for 1.5 years at a public university in a rural, conservative area on a TT appointment. I am not enjoying the lifestyle options (beer & beach culture) available in the area, nor the limited enthusiasm for research, so I am actively iso another TT posting. If I'm already employed on a tenure track, is that seen as a positive or viewed with deep suspicion? Would I be (much) better off to wait for my three year review, then start sending off applications? I am rationalizing my quest as a genuine desire to find a campus I can call 'home' for the next 15 or 20 years, then retire in the area. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

"greedy girl"!
lyndonparker
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 4:25:06 PM »

If the school to which you apply is more highly ranked than the school at which you are currently employed, no one will question why you are applying. Similarly, if you include a sentence in your cover letter explaining your desire to return to a certain region in which you have ties, people will get the idea.

Lyndon always has such a nice succinct way of putting things.
powderfinger

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 5:47:54 PM »

I think you are worrying too much.  Looking to move while on TT is common and you are not far enough along that people will suspect you of just looking for a raise or cover in case your tenure case progresses badly.  In all likelihood, most SC members (a group whose own preferences and predilections run toward the liberal and urban in aggregate) will read your file and think, "Hmmn, this person probably wants to get the hell out of the rural, conservative area in which she works." 
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 6:39:52 PM »

If you don't like where you are now, then apply elsewhere.  Just do so selectively, with an eye to location.  In the meantime, publish like crazy.  That's a necessary part of moving up.

larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 7:21:05 PM »

Yeah, just go for it. Start applying now--your PhD is not getting any fresher.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 7:31:43 PM »

There can be some lingering suspicion on the part of SC members that an applicant who already has a TT job is just looking for an offer to help negotiate a raise at the current place. You can address this by explaining clearly why you want the job, and asking one of your referees to explain that you really are interested in leaving if the right position comes along.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
sagit
And... we're off!

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 8:12:33 PM »

That seems like the perfect time to me.  If I got your application I would assume that you are trying to move up in the world and that your first job was just that - your first job.  People do move around in TT jobs.  But you should make an effort to show how you are a good fit to the job or department in your applications.  I was just on a search committee and we did not interview people who did not do a convincing job of showing how they fit what we were looking for in the job ad.  But I don't think we really questioned whether people were really interested in moving unless they were in their tenure year (but fortunately those people's references explained their strong interest to us).

I like to think of the student as a mischievous badger.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 8:20:54 PM »

Also--the very best way of alleviating suspicion when you look for a new job is to have one of your LORs come from a current colleague. The collegue can talk to your teaching and collegiality as well as reasons a person might want to be somewhere else.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 8:54:43 PM »

Wait-- you have a beach?  I hate you!!

Taste o' the Sixties
litdawg
Ambidextrous Humanities Player

God & the CHE fora help those who help themselves.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 12:04:47 PM »

I noticed that too. Nothing says retirement community to me like beer and beach.

The heart of the wise man is tranquil.  Chuang Tzu
secundem_artem
Stone cold humanist and finally a

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 12:32:51 PM »

I noticed that too. Nothing says retirement community to me like beer and beach and Metamucil.

Fixed that for you.

In my opinion, Secundem_artem is precisely correct. 

I think secundem_artem, rather, has hit the nail on the head.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »

I noticed that too. Nothing says retirement community to me like beer and beach, and Metamucil, and Fleets and Tylenol.
Fixed that for you.

Moi aussi.

Taste o' the Sixties
klfish315

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 1:31:59 PM »

THANKS SO MUCH for the reassurance and advice...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: