• October 30, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:59:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inter-Library Relationships  (Read 6825 times)
jschmidt611

« on: December 17, 2012, 1:05:57 PM »

Does anyone work in a school with multiple campuses? How do you handle promoting new services/new materials/the library in general?

I work in a small nursing college with 5 campuses. There are only physical libraries at 2 campuses but everyone has access to an online database of e-books and articles.  So as the head librarian at the main campus, I'm trying to incorporate the "non-library" campuses as much as possible and looking to see how anyone else does it.

Thanks!
docmama

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 5:59:26 PM »

I work at a school with multiple campuses spread across the world. Although the library on main campus is great, those faculty who work at satellite campuses have struggled to get access to anything non-electronic in nature (including through some sort of interlibrary loan).  Our current system includes negotiated access for students through local university libraries, but we would love to be able to request actual physical books from the main campus of our college. Would it be possible to dedicate a certain amount of the book budget to buying resources that could be housed on site at the branch campuses? Barring that, could you designate someone at the other campuses who could receive interlibrary loan mail so that the physical resources could be shared? These are a couple of the options we would appreciate.
vkw10

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:39:36 PM »

My university is technically a single campus, but while most of our buildings are on 12-block tract (central campus), we also have several buildings scattered around city (extended campus). For example, our health professions programs occupy two classroom buildings about five miles apart, with both in close proximity to hospitals. Our library is on central campus, but each of the extended campus buildings has a commons with a couple of administrative assistants, copier, fax, a few computers, etc. The commons also has a library drop/pickup area. Requests are placed through ILL, transferred via a contracted courier service that runs Monday through Saturday, and organized for students by the admin assistants. This service is about two years old and extremely popular with students who don't have to trek to library, with administrators who love the usage statistics, and with faculty who want us to extend it to their buildings on central campus.
jschmidt611

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »

Thanks to both of you for your input!

Since we don't have librarians at the branch campuses yet, I don't think they want to put too much money into new resources.  There is an admin at each campus in charge of about 100 books for students but we haven't gotten more complicated than that.  The ILL process of shipping books has been discussed but I'm concerned about the shipping costs and if they're prohibitive.

I have been thinking about ways to partner/incorporate the local area libraries (and eventually other schools) so I think my first step will be just making sure all students know about the resources we have AND the resources their local libraries have which they may not know about.
vkw10

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 1:19:40 AM »

If you need to talk with libraries that have co-op arrangements, try Mississippi State University. I recently talked with a friend who works at MSU-Meridian about their library services. MSU-Meridian has a cooperative agreement with Meridian Community College, just across the street. The co-op agreement provides MSU-Meridian students with full access to MCC's library; my friend thinks that MSU-Meridian provides some funding for materials.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: