• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:34:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I got the contract  (Read 1820 times)
treeoflife

« on: December 13, 2012, 8:23:10 PM »

After two years of revision and editing, They said the contract is in the mail. I am down to writing the summary and going over the footnotes one last time. Surprisingly, very little energy.
santommaso

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 8:57:34 PM »

Congratulations! Go out to celebrate and buy dinner for those who helped you along the way!
astoryteller

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 9:02:34 PM »

Congratulations! This is a time to enjoy your success.
treeoflife

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 9:07:37 PM »

It's strange but I can't. After all this time and energy and resources I didn't get even one interview this semester.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:03:16 PM »

But don't worry about that now, and don't pore over footnotes tonight.  Tonight you celebrate.

Really.

You must try.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
watermarkup

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »

Congratulations!

You must celebrate now, because you will very likely need to check the footnotes two more times (copy-editing and page proofs, and maybe once more for indexing as well) before the book is published. You will discover errors you had previously overlooked when you do. You will come to loathe your own book before you're done. Seriously, celebrate now, while you still can.
treeoflife

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 10:49:30 AM »

I wonder if they will take it to copy editing, I am publishing with a big British press. The culture is very different from the American University press
hiddendragon

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 10:13:07 PM »

Congrats!  I got mine a few weeks ago, too, and should work on sending it back.  Let's celebrate together!  Wooohoooo!
lightningstrike

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 10:15:49 PM »

Congratulations!

You must celebrate now, because you will very likely need to check the footnotes two more times (copy-editing and page proofs, and maybe once more for indexing as well) before the book is published. You will discover errors you had previously overlooked when you do. You will come to loathe your own book before you're done. Seriously, celebrate now, while you still can.

Ugh!!
mmajomo

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 6:46:25 PM »

The job market is soul-crushing, I know, but did you even have a chance to gloat about your contract when you sent the applications out? If you didn't have the contract then, be sure to feature it in any applications you send in the upcoming months. But try not to let the lack of interviews ruin your fun. I had 12 interviews one year, followed by 6 flybacks, and I still didn't get a job. Just be glad you're not an idiot like me :) The book WILL make a difference.
seniorscholar

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 8:19:38 PM »

The book WILL make a difference.

Definitely (depending on your field) it IS the difference. The final revisions and the production steps will take most of the year, but at least you have a range of "is under contract with . .  ." "will be published by . . ." and "is in production at . . ." and "will be published in [month]" to write increasingly impressive letters over the next year.
treeoflife

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 1:46:56 PM »

I mentioned in my letters since October that it will be published, Since I got the reader's remarks that were positive.

12 interviews in one year? did you win the noble prize??
seniorscholar

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 3:05:51 PM »

I mentioned in my letters since October that it will be published, Since I got the reader's remarks that were positive.

That was fairly risky, as a matter of fact. There's more than a technical difficulty between "positive reader's remarks" and "contract" -- which, you said 8 days ago, was "in the mail." For most universities, there's a difference between "has had favorable reviews from xxx university press" and "is under contract by xxxx university press" and "is in production" (which means they have the final manuscript and have sent it for copy editing), and thus clearly means "will be published."

Note: As a SC chair, I once saw a letter of application which said "my book on so-and-so will be published by xxxxx press" when, in fact, I'd had two weeks earlier a phone call from xxxxx press, for which I have read manuscripts, asking me if I thought there would be interest in an edited collection of essays on so-and-so. I replied, "well it would be worth looking at once the essays are in."  Since that experience, I have been very very suspicious of any application saying "will be published" unless it includes not only a press but also a tentative publication date, which is generally supplied with the rest of the production schedule when the final manuscript has been sent for copy editing. On the other hand, I wouldn't put a "has received favorable readers' reports from xxxxx press" into the immediate "no" pile as I did the letter that told a clear untruth.
tortugaphd

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 4:58:49 PM »

Congratulations!
treeoflife

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 2:21:13 PM »

You were all right.
I started doing the footnotes and transliteration and it is so boring. It is taking forever.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: