• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 6:58:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for a change  (Read 4602 times)
q8prof

« on: August 13, 2011, 3:24:26 AM »

I've been (for the most part) happily employed as an assistant professor in a humanities discipline at a private university in Kuwait for the last six years.  I have taken on some interesting challenges which have helped to build my CV in some important ways.  I've also grown as a teacher and administrator.  I've spent most of my free time working so haven't had a chance to get down about Kuwait.  I feel like I've now maxed out the possibilities at my current university and am ready to try something new.  My current contract ends at the end of this coming school year.

While I feel Kuwait has become very small, I have to say I really enjoy the experience of teaching at an American-style university here in the Gulf.  I agree with all the things that others have said and I see the down side of things but for the most part I've been able to bracket it out and focus on the good.  I've had some amazing students and colleagues and have been able to do some interesting research that I wouldn't have been able to do had I stayed in the US.

I would like to work in the Gulf for a bit longer to continue to save the large sums of money I've been able to save for the last six years. I have an idea of some of the best universities in the region but I'd welcome insights from others as well.  I'm thinking NYUAD, AUS, Zayed... Any others?  What about NYIT? 
gcaye

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 3:54:46 PM »

There is also American University of Dubai.  There are a lot of new universities in Qatar as well.
eddean

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 5:23:26 PM »

Avoid HCT
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: