• October 31, 2014
November 01, 2014, 12:13:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Change in Higher Education  (Read 86686 times)
peircearrow

« on: March 03, 2012, 11:55:56 AM »

I have a colleague who formed an organization that works with individual students and the results are outstanding - increases attainment while lowering costs and debt. However, he has written multiple grants proposals for funding so the model can be expanded across the U.S. The results -- constant "form" rejection emails. I have read the proposal - it is beyond comprehension how this concept is being ignored.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a funding source that is genuinely interested in a concept that significantly improves the delivery of higher education?
foresight

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 2:25:48 PM »

There are too many with financial interests to maintain the status quo for any significant change to ever come about internally. Most of the foundations that are focused on reform in education are staffed by former educators that cannot see the forest for the trees. And anyone that has ever worked on an university campus knows that change is so slow it is virtually stagnant.
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 11:25:19 PM »

Going from a tiny program working with individual students to a huge program across the US is too extreme a "jump."  Get funding for a pilot study at one or two universities, then -- and only then -- consider a wider roll out.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:17:11 AM »

Going from a tiny program working with individual students to a huge program across the US is too extreme a "jump."  Get funding for a pilot study at one or two universities, then -- and only then -- consider a wider roll out.

Perfect example of what encompasses higher education in this country - the mindset of academia over production.
zharkov

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 12:22:15 PM »

Perfect example of what encompasses higher education in this country - the mindset of academia over production.

How about the mindset of science over wishful thinking?

The thing is, you don't have the evidence that this new approach works with anything more than a few individual students.  You don't get a grant based on wishful thinking.  You don't get a grant based on assertions. But you can get a grant for a pilot for one or two schools, and if that pilot is successful, then you can expand.  I bet the money is there, but they won't give substantial funds to someone with little  or no data, or someone who is so naive as to not  think this through. 

Given a choice between funding a "good idea" and a "good idea backed by evidence," the one with evidence gets the funding.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:23:14 PM by zharkov » Logged

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 7:13:04 PM »

The program does have a 4 year history of success and he has compiled the results. This was not intended to initiate a debate - just to ask this question - what foundations or other funding sources have a true interest in significant change in higher ed?
oldadjunct

LIFO. Enough said.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 7:26:28 PM »

The program does have a 4 year history of success and he has compiled the results. This was not intended to initiate a debate - just to ask this question - what foundations or other funding sources have a true interest in significant change in higher ed?

First, you have yet to name it, let alone substantiate its success.  Second, very many when they are presented with promising evidence.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

OMG!  My partner gave me hu!  What do I do to get rid of hu?
foresight

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 8:43:52 PM »

First, you have yet to name it, let alone substantiate its success.  Second, very many when they are presented with promising evidence.

This is HILARIOUS - a question is asked, and NO ONE answers the question - just a bunch of academics more concerned about their opinions of the PROCESS instead of production. I'll give the guy and answer - The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the Ford Foundation. Both list education as a priority.
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 9:49:10 PM »

This is HILARIOUS - a question is asked, and NO ONE answers the question - just a bunch of academics more concerned about their opinions of the PROCESS instead of production. I'll give the guy and answer - The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the Ford Foundation. Both list education as a priority.

Lilly, Reagle, etc., etc., none of which will cough up big (or even medium-sized) bucks without substantial evidence of a program's success.

Perhaps we're interested in process because we actually know how this stuff works? Hmm.

Que scay-je?
foresight

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »

This may be of assistance:

http://www.edfunders.org/about/members.asp
zharkov

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 7:14:48 AM »

Perhaps we're interested in process because we actually know how this stuff works? Hmm.

Exactly. And keep in mind that getting a grant is more competitive than ever.  So a funding agency does not fund a "good idea," but the best among the applicants (that is, the competitors).   Credibility is extremely important.  At the risk of stating the obvious, unless this org is a 501c3 non-profit, it won't get funding.  Other factors to increase cred include track record of performing well on past grants, successful partnering, credentials of the leaders and board, and having external evaluators of past work.  I would expect that "the competitors" have this sort of credibility, and thus they have a much better likelihood of getting funding. 

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 2:01:51 AM »

OP, I have worked as a referee for federal grants for higher education reform and you are getting excellent advice here. It does your friend no good to get a list of funding sources if s/he doesn't understand the grant-making process. It is a waste of time to apply in those circumstances. The fact that prior proposals have been turned down is not evidence that the foundations aren't serious, but that the proposal needs to be improved, probably in a variety of ways, including better targeting of programs, realizable goals and, as mentioned here several times, data that show the program will work with lots of students, with different demographics, in a variety of institutional settings.

With federal funding for higher education innovations going away for a significant number of programs through the zeroing out of FIPSE, there will be even more competition for the private foundation grants.
brixton

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 2:45:22 PM »

OP:  Your query is unclear -- Is this a program that has been started at a college or a university?  Is your friend working as a pre-college consultant with his or her own group of students?  Does it have any independent funding/backing or endowment?  Is it directed to FTIC, Liberal Arts students,  4-year University students students,  CC students, pre-professional, ?  Contrary to what Foresight suggeests,foundations that list "education" as their focus actually have extrensive criteria beyond that initial mission statement.  Having some sense of the vision/goals of your friend's project, it's audience, and yes it's evidence of success is crucial.

(PS  Don't even think about going to Gates unless you're asking for over a million and working with a large university or universities already.  Their smallest grant is in the millions, and they don't hand these out like candy.  I do think the wisdom you're getting here is good, unless your friend has already followed it and are looking for subsequent steps.)
peircearrow

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 5:44:01 PM »

OP:  Your query is unclear -- Is this a program that has been started at a college or a university?  Is your friend working as a pre-college consultant with his or her own group of students?  Does it have any independent funding/backing or endowment?  Is it directed to FTIC, Liberal Arts students,  4-year University students students,  CC students, pre-professional, ?  Contrary to what Foresight suggeests,foundations that list "education" as their focus actually have extrensive criteria beyond that initial mission statement.  Having some sense of the vision/goals of your friend's project, it's audience, and yes it's evidence of success is crucial.

(PS  Don't even think about going to Gates unless you're asking for over a million and working with a large university or universities already.  Their smallest grant is in the millions, and they don't hand these out like candy.  I do think the wisdom you're getting here is good, unless your friend has already followed it and are looking for subsequent steps.)

He is on faculty at a major state university. For lack of a better phrase, he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. His approach changes delivery and significantly improves attainment while reducing tuition costs, and debt. The other side of this is that significantly impacts the university's funding model - one that primary focus is enrollment growth and the associated tuition $. This makes him an unpopular entity on a college campus, both with faculty and administration. The project is now stagnant without funding - the dilemma being increasing the production in his organization may be professional suicide if he is not successful in obtaining significant funding. Already those that are aware of the model are working to discredit the results - that nasty side of higher ed we all sometimes would like to ignore.
ptarmigan
grad student & chief dork dumpling

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 7:58:58 PM »

Why doesn't your friend know how to get his own grants, without sending you here to ask us? Or else why isn't he here asking us himself?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 7:59:26 PM by ptarmigan » Logged

He's on my roster, but if I've taught him anything, it isn't math.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: