Anon

(1/1)

Trust of professors:
I am curious about the level of trust the average citizen places those in professorial positions, and if that level of trust is greater or lesser than it was in previous decades. Here are a few reasons I may be pessimistic regarding the outcome of any such study:

1) With the advent of 24-hour cable news, many more "experts" who are, incidentally, affiliated with an educational institution are given an opportunity to publicly make a fool out of themselves by participating in rediculous shouting matches.

2) The number of adjuncts, teaching assistants, teaching fellows, and instructors is growing by the day. Many of these individuals are disinfranchised in the system due to the lack of available jobs and poor working conditions that approximate slave labor. Their justified dissapointment and lack of enthusiasm, coupled with the moderate enthusiasm demonstrated by tenured and tenure-track professors, can't help but carry over to the student body, and society as a whole.

3) Very rarely are the positive achievements of faculty made known to the general public. Sami Al-Ariand, on the other hand, has been in the news for over a year ... .

All of the above and other reasons lead me to believe that the public's trust in professor's is very low, but I'd be happy to be proven otherwise? Any data on this subject? (To clarify, I'm not interested in how much we are "liked," but "trusted.")

Navigation

[0] Message Index