• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:41:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 210
  Print  
Author Topic: All Things Uterine  (Read 813690 times)
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am
Distinguished Senior Member

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #2445 on: November 23, 2012, 4:06:02 PM »

Socktoday - OOF!  The closest I've had to your experience was in the first week after starting Lupron* injections about 2.5 years ago.  I got horrifically constipated and bloated, and put on about 12 pounds in a week (I did proceed to lose about 8 pounds of that quickly once the constipation ended).

I hope you're back to your normal size and feeling better very soon!

*In case you're not familiar with Lupron, it's an analog to gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) and is used to pretty much do a hard reboot on the reproductive hormones.  When you suddenly shut off the estrogen and progesterone, it affects a lot more than just the reproductive organs.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
titian

« Reply #2446 on: November 26, 2012, 3:22:46 AM »

Hi everyone,

I thought I would update my previous postings about PCOS, since some things have changed--I'd love to hear if anyone has had similar experiences.  I was out of town for a meeting last weekend, and I was incredibly uncomfortable.  My stomach seemed to get bigger every day.  Finally, I noticed that stretch marks had suddenly appeared! I decided to call my MS doctor to report this new symptom, and when I did, she got very concerned and insisted I see a gyn or family doc right away, even though I have an appointment with a gyn in two weeks.  So yesterday, I went to a family doc--I couldn't get in with my own family doc (who I don't like and have only seen twice), so got an appointment with someone else in the same practice.  She was *amazing*.  She spent an hour with me--longer than I have spent with a doctor in years.  She was very concerned, because I had gained 32 pounds in 11 days! Can you believe it?  It is all in my belly.  She did urine and blood tests, manual exams, an EKG, and sent me for an ultrasound.  All came back normal.  But she said the ultrasound doesn't do a good job of seeing the uterus or ovaries.  So I have been instructed to weigh myself every day to make sure I don't gain too much more weight, and on Monday she will arrange for a CAT scan.  So that's the update.  I feel pretty awful.  With all of this weight in my belly, my lower back is a wreck.  Thank God I had two pairs of elastic-waist pants in my wardrobe, or I would have nothing at all to wear.  I have long believed that every girl, no matter how thin, should have at least one pair of elastic-waist pants in her closet for emergencies.  Anybody have any thoughts about such rapid weight gain--or perhaps have experienced something like it yourself?  And I can't be pregnant--it would be a miracle along the lines of the Virgin Birth.  Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

OMG, Socktoday. No experience, just hoping that you get this figured out soon! Throw a fit if the CAT scan is not scheduled quickly. You need that information before going to the gyn. I'm glad that the other GP was attentive and responsive. 

My goal for this semester is to move on to being the Crusher of Dreams and Destroyer of Souls.
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #2447 on: November 27, 2012, 9:15:13 AM »

This is as nothing to poor SockToday's problems -- and I hope that the CAT scan yesterday showed what they are and you are being treated right this moment.

But...

I've just looked at the calendar, and this cast doesn't come off until January 3rd. Guess what is scheduled for this Friday and Dec 28th? *Two* lots of dealing with female sanitary products one-handed! What, oh Goddess, did 'i do to annoy you so much?
wegie

« Reply #2448 on: November 27, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »

Sigh. For "Friday" and "December 28th" please substitute "today" and "Christmas Day".

Anybody want to join me in communing with fizzy stuff and painkillers?
theblondeassassin
Rootin' Tootin' Invigilatin'
Member-Moderator

« Reply #2449 on: November 27, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »

Sigh. For "Friday" and "December 28th" please substitute "today" and "Christmas Day".

Fortunately the contraption I mentioned on "Dinner Tonight" can be adapted for many uses (the waldo, not the spiked carving board).

My hovercraft is full of eels, so I don't suppose snails in a fish tank is so very strange.
wegie

« Reply #2450 on: November 27, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »

Fortunately the contraption I mentioned on "Dinner Tonight" can be adapted for many uses (the waldo, not the spiked carving board).

The good news is that courtesy of a couple of broken bones in the other hand over the years, I do at least know how to just about manage one-handed.

But I'm still going to give thanks for the invention of the self-adhesive pad. One of those belts one-handed would have been impossible.
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #2451 on: November 27, 2012, 9:20:53 PM »

The good news is that courtesy of a couple of broken bones in the other hand over the years, I do at least know how to just about manage one-handed.

But I'm still going to give thanks for the invention of the self-adhesive pad. One of those belts one-handed would have been impossible.

Crikey, yes.  Have another drink, Wegie.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
lohai0

« Reply #2452 on: November 27, 2012, 9:22:54 PM »

Well, a slight improvement this month. I'm hungry and a little sad instead of filled with rage. It's too bad what a good job these pills do otherwise.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
lohai0

« Reply #2453 on: November 29, 2012, 6:14:14 PM »

Sitting here waiting for my bedamned annual checkup. In the "gown" for an hour. It will take a heroic effort not to yell when someone deigns to come in.

wegie

« Reply #2454 on: November 29, 2012, 8:07:18 PM »

Sitting here waiting for my bedamned annual checkup. In the "gown" for an hour. It will take a heroic effort not to yell when someone deigns to come in.

Good God! That's disgusting! (and I'm not just talking about having to do it annually when all the stats say 2-3 years work just as well)

Any why the hell d'you need to be in a gown for heaven's sake?
lohai0

« Reply #2455 on: November 29, 2012, 8:11:22 PM »

Good God! That's disgusting! (and I'm not just talking about having to do it annually when all the stats say 2-3 years work just as well)

Pap smear. One small bright spot. I was able to switch off the PMS birth control pills to something a little more reasonable, and the actual doctor agreed to raise my thyroid dosage.

llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #2456 on: November 29, 2012, 8:12:09 PM »

Pap smear. One small bright spot. I was able to switch off the PMS birth control pills to something a little more reasonable, and the actual doctor agreed to raise my thyroid dosage.

That sounds like a net gain overall, Lohai0.  Treat yourself to an adult beverage to celebrate.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
wegie

« Reply #2457 on: November 29, 2012, 8:13:45 PM »

I could tell it was a pap smear. Why the hell were you made to sit around in a gown for an hour? That's stupid and inhuman!
biomancer
trying to be the person my dog thinks I am

CHE Fora Hazmat Team

« Reply #2458 on: November 29, 2012, 8:14:55 PM »

An *hour* wait?!  That's ridiculous.  I'd have gotten dressed and left, and let the front office know that they should have let me know the physician was running that late.  Your time is worth something too, after all.

Clueless people can be dangerous. The acidic environment they can spread often needs to be neutralized, and humor is basic.  - Dellaroux

I have realized that it is best to assume everyone is bonkers until they demonstrate otherwise. - ChaosByDesign
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #2459 on: November 29, 2012, 8:17:23 PM »

Why would they make you change into a gown for a pap smear? That's just one more reason to add to my list of why I don't ever want to get one of those things done.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 210
  Print  

Jump to: