• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 12:44:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is long-listing done by HR or the search committee?  (Read 1128 times)
monita

« on: November 29, 2012, 11:56:34 AM »

I've just applied for a VERY exciting position at a university here in the UK.  I received an e-mail from HR that says "your application has now been forwarded to the selection committee for short-listing".  After a little happy dance, I realized that this might have just been a fancy way of saying "yeah, we got your stuff", rather than a notice that I made it through a first cut.  What do you guys think?  I've applied to a lot of jobs, and usually only get an automated note of receipt, so can I take this as good (early, but still good) news? 
scotia
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 1:37:45 PM »

I have never known HR do anything other than forward all complete applications to the people who do the short-listing (three universities). Even the applications that plainly do not match the job specification come to us. Sorry! Or maybe you have hit the jackpot with a sane and reasonable HR department (frankly I would not trust our HR people anywhere near a long- or short-list).
dem_sultan

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 1:46:34 PM »

I think the university is not making a long list at all.  This happens.  The notice from HR is oddly phrased, but it's just an acknowledgment that your application is complete, so they are passing it on.
flyingbison

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 1:53:02 PM »

Sounds like they received your application.  Maybe they also checked off a list of minimum qualifications.  I wouldn't interpret their message as anything beyond that.

Resist much, obey little.
monita

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 2:57:01 PM »

Thanks, gang.  That's what the reasonable part of my brain thought, but one does get excited.  I'll have to hold my horses a bit longer.
monita

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »

Update:  It was just weirdo HR wording.  I did not get an interview.  I suck. 
scampster
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 10:07:18 AM »

Update:  It was just weirdo HR wording.  I did not get an interview.  I suck. 

Aw, the penultimate sentence does not imply the last!

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: