• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:43:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Interview Etiquette  (Read 4408 times)
busys

« on: November 28, 2012, 8:24:59 PM »

Hi-

I am new to the adjunct market and currently work at one community college. I have two interviews in the next week and am unsure how to handle them. College A called first, but, due to timing, is the second interview I will go on. College A is closer to my house and is staffing for a small number of specific classes/times (that work for me and that I want to teach). College B called second, but has the first interview. They are further away from my home and are not identifying the classes or times they are staffing. I'm not opposed to working at both, but am not really sure how to handle this situation as given the choice I would prefer the option to work at College A.

I assume I will hear back from B before I go on the interview for A. Should I bring this up to either? I don't want to assume I will get classes at both or either, but I also don't want to blow the chance at College A by taking a conflicting class at B should I hear back from them first. Also, since I plan to work in this area for the foreseeable future I don't want to burn bridges by going on an interview and then not being able to take a job. (Though I know from how I got my current position that there are a lot of flakes out there). I'm sure there are others out there who have been in a similar position--what do you do?
forego324

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »

The only assumption I have is the assumption that you need some work. Therefore, I would accept whichever place offers you hours. If both do so, you might even be able as an adjunct to find flexibility to sub at the place that does not call first.
spinnaker
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:26:21 PM »

Can you ask College A if it is possible to interview sooner as you think that you and they may be an optimal fit but you also have other irons in the fire? I wouldn't think that would be pushy, just honest.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:27:49 PM by spinnaker » Logged

"I never agree with Spinnaker, but..."
busys

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 12:58:12 AM »

Forego324: that is definitely my first instinct!

And spinnaker - I thought about that and if there was more time I would; College B's is tomorrow (got a 24 hr notice on it) and College A's is early next week (which was the earliest date they offered when giving me the dates). If I do find out, would it be rude to call and give a heads up to College A before accepting any classes from College B? Since they did contact me first and were good enough to give me a bit more notice/information.

I just wasn't sure if there was some sort of adjunct protocol regarding these types of situations, so I thought I'd ask here!

spinnaker

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 9:22:42 AM »

Tell college "B" that you will be able to let them know in a couple of days whether you can accept the offer as you have another interview coming up immediately.

seniorscholar

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 8:49:18 PM »

And by the way, the person in my department who hires adjuncts to teach left-over sections of first year comp has the phone number of the person who does the same at the other ten or twelve colleges and CCs within easy commute distance on speed dial, and they often juggle bodies around up through the first week of classes so they can all have an instructor in the classroom at the days and times needed. In other words, in this situation, it's likely that a school which is able to offer you only part-time work knows you will also be looking for part-time work elsewhere, and may even tell you who else to contact.
spinnaker

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:04:45 PM »

And by the way, the person in my department who hires adjuncts to teach left-over sections of first year comp has the phone number of the person who does the same at the other ten or twelve colleges and CCs within easy commute distance on speed dial, and they often juggle bodies around up through the first week of classes so they can all have an instructor in the classroom at the days and times needed. In other words, in this situation, it's likely that a school which is able to offer you only part-time work knows you will also be looking for part-time work elsewhere, and may even tell you who else to contact.

Just for laughs, when you land this job or these jobs, look at your contract and see if there is an addendum to it that says something like "adjunct positions are intended for persons who have full-time outside employment."

Best wishes to you.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:05:23 PM by spinnaker » Logged

spinnaker

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 1:00:06 AM »

http://www.txattorneys.com/news-20.html
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 1:01:01 AM by spinnaker » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: