• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 8:57:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Degree on Business Cards  (Read 4419 times)
archimedes12

« on: November 28, 2012, 4:48:28 PM »

I was always told, and this was reaffirmed in my last job, that your degree is not listed on your business card unless you have something higher than a master's degree. However, I am now seeing people at my current institution listing "MA" and "MS" on their business cards.  One coworker even listed his bachelor's degree (that's the highest degree he has). Doesn't this seem a little odd?
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So
Distinguished Senior Member

Mind Ninja

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 5:07:17 PM »

I would say it's institution-, or even department-, specific.  At my CC, I think the only people who put degrees on their cards are those with doctorates.  Though a bachelor's seems weird to me.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 5:07:47 PM by galactic_hedgehog » Logged

flyingbison

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 5:12:02 PM »

I was always told, and this was reaffirmed in my last job, that your degree is not listed on your business card unless you have something higher than a master's degree. However, I am now seeing people at my current institution listing "MA" and "MS" on their business cards.  One coworker even listed his bachelor's degree (that's the highest degree he has). Doesn't this seem a little odd?

Yes, it's odd (and silly) ... with a few exceptions for fields with a terminal master's degree.

Resist much, obey little.
eefd2991

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 5:26:27 PM »

I ran an A/B test and the physicians I work with take me more seriously when I put my MBA on my email signature.
kron3007

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 5:41:07 PM »

I think this would depend on the setting.  Within academia I could understand this being the case.  However, in the "real" world, even a BSc is a relevant qualification and I could see it being listed; why wouldn't it be?

flyingbison

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 5:49:44 PM »

I think this would depend on the setting.  Within academia I could understand this being the case.  However, in the "real" world, even a BSc is a relevant qualification and I could see it being listed; why wouldn't it be?

People don't usually list qualifications on a business card - they list titles, professional license/certifications, and sometimes degrees that indicate one's professional "status."  BA/BS, MA/MS don't indicate anything about one's profession.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 5:51:06 PM by flyingbison » Logged

cgfunmathguy
Beer-brewing

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 6:41:24 PM »

I think this would depend on the setting.  Within academia I could understand this being the case.  However, in the "real" world, even a BSc is a relevant qualification and I could see it being listed; why wouldn't it be?

People don't usually list qualifications on a business card - they list titles, professional license/certifications, and sometimes degrees that indicate one's professional "status."  BA/BS, MA/MS don't indicate anything about one's profession.
To be honest, neither does PhD, EdD, or DBA.

Alas, greatness and meaning are rarely coterminous with popular familiarity.
flyingbison

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 10:02:49 PM »

I agree.  I think those who list a doctoral degree on a business card are mostly doing so to indicate to others how they want to be addressed (Dr So-and-so)

aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 10:11:52 PM »

I agree.  I think those who list a doctoral degree on a business card are mostly doing so to indicate to others how they want to be addressed (Dr So-and-so)

Mine says AandSDean, Ph.D., NOT because I want to be addressed as "Dr." (which I don't), but because it's my school's house style, and because I mostly use my cards while traveling to countries where having a Ph.D. actually matters to my ability to get things done (such as meetings with bigwigs).

I HATE being called "Dr."

Que scay-je?
cgfunmathguy
Beer-brewing

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 10:45:20 PM »

Mine says AandSDean, Ph.D., NOT because I want to be addressed as "Dr." (which I don't), but because it's my school's house style, and because I mostly use my cards while traveling to countries where having a Ph.D. actually matters to my ability to get things done (such as meetings with bigwigs).

A fair point. I'm grumpy because I'm still grading. Thus, I'm not really thinking beyond step one tonight. My apologies for that.

Alas, greatness and meaning are rarely coterminous with popular familiarity.
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So

Mind Ninja

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 11:51:47 PM »

Can we call you Shirley?

aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 11:04:06 AM »

Can we call you Shirley?

As I once said to my students, "You can call me anything you want as long as it's not 'Sh*thead," to which one replied, "What about a**hole?"

I loved that kid.

Que scay-je?
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 1:04:51 PM »

Same here.  The US side of my card is of the form USUKprof, DSc.  But I would have fought the style of Dr. USUKprof.  On the other hand, the UK side is of the form Professor USUKprof, also in the local style, but lecturers are pretended with Dr.

My graduate students call my by my first name.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 2:38:28 PM »

I think this would depend on the setting.  Within academia I could understand this being the case.  However, in the "real" world, even a BSc is a relevant qualification and I could see it being listed; why wouldn't it be?

Because it's corny. That's why.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
michigander

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 10:28:39 PM »

I go with field specific.  My significant other's cards read: Name, R.N., M.S.N. (as do all of his colleagues' cards).  In my former fields of student affairs and academic advising, I've never used any letters after my name.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: