• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:21:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Salary expectations  (Read 3219 times)
britprof

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 1:40:58 PM »

There are some very interesting thoughts here about the significance of career point and the 12 month position. I suppose that I would consider myself as an advanced assistant professor as I would meet the tenure requirements of most R1s and SLACs right now.  I obtained my PhD in 2006 from a UK Russell Group university (equivalent to a highly ranked R1 in the US, top 75 world rankings). I have seven published articles and chapters, including top journals in my field (international and imperial history), my first book will be published in December, which is already lined up for extensive reviews. I have 16 years’ teaching experience in UK independent schools (9-12), and colleges and universities in the UK and the US (five years in the US as a VAP at four institutions in the Midwest, 2003-08).  I am currently a non-stipendiary research fellow at a Midwest state flagship and a UK Russell Group university. My last position in the UK was permanent as a head of department in a CC (no tenure in the UK) but I gave it up so that I could move my family back to the Midwest and pursue the goal of a TT appointment in my primary field.  I have applied for 50 positions this year, but only four of those are in my primary field. I feel that I would have to take this job if offered, even though it is not the type of institution I would like to work at, it would not allow me to teach in my primary field, and it would kill my research.  My last salary in the US as a VAP (2008) was $41.5k and in the UK I earned $50k. I have to say that I would be immensely surprised if the college offered a starting salary in the region of $80k.  If it did, perhaps I could feel more comfortable with the demands of the position. Anyway, let’s see if an offer is forthcoming …
hegemony
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 2:32:07 PM »

To my mind, if you don't have a high salary offer from these folks, a course reduction is called for.  Of course they may well not see it that way.  I think what I would do in your shoes would be to arrange to meet with people who are in similar positions across the university, ostensibly to get a feel for the duties, structure of the place, etc.  But while you're talking, you can ferret out whether they were given extra salary and/or course reduction.  (My place would offer both, though still less than they should.)  For instance, if you were head of X, you might get $10,000 per year extra and one course off for the duration.  (And the duration might be permanent.)  If they don't offer something like this, they'll be strapped for money and employees both.  That's the kind of arrangement I'd expect, judging from what you've said so far.

Tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight.
drsmarty

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 3:36:33 PM »

I'd like to pose a slightly different kind of question on salary. If the University's website is very transparent, showing grade levels and corresponding salary ranges, is it appropriate to ask about the grade of the position if it is not mentioned in the offer? I am speaking of an administrative position.
lulasmom51

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 1:45:50 PM »

Ha!  I teach a 5/6, coordinate faculty as the Faculty Coordinator, set the schedule, advise students, serve on far too many committees, including the QEP committee for the upcoming SACS review.  And I have managed to attend one seminar, co-direct an NEH grant, publish one article and give three presentations - all in the three years since defending my dissertation and getting this job.  I get paid $40,000.  Period.  So I teach adjunct in a city an hour away and tutor on the weekends.  My mentor just told me that, after three years, potential employers are going to assume I did not pass my initial tenure review, even though my school does not have a real tenure process, merely an extended contract, which requires a massive portfolio process and neither guarantees employment nor offers any chance of a raise. 
britprof

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 5:27:31 PM »

Ha!  I teach a 5/6, coordinate faculty as the Faculty Coordinator, set the schedule, advise students, serve on far too many committees, including the QEP committee for the upcoming SACS review.  And I have managed to attend one seminar, co-direct an NEH grant, publish one article and give three presentations - all in the three years since defending my dissertation and getting this job.  I get paid $40,000. 
I can only hope that the position I have interviewed for does not fall in the same category of exploitation, but I would not rule it out! The dean chairing the search contacted me today to let me know that I am still in the running and they are considering bringing candidates back to campus again. I don't know whether they would bring back one preferred candidate for each of the three positions (History/Social Studies; English/Humanities; and Maths/Science) or more than one candidate in each area.  It seems like a major administrative hassle because the initial interview was conducted by a panel of 7 (6 deans and directors, and 1 faculty member) from several different campuses.  The level of institutional complexity is mind boggling!
niceday

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 9:44:42 AM »

Oh, my. 40K for 5/6 plus heavy admin load plus faculty coordinator? That would be a deal breaker for me by a mile, even if that meant I had to leave academia. Is that an oversupplied humanities field? It's kind of hard to believe such jobs exist for people advanced degrees. Hope it gets better.
vuvu_zela

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 12:19:30 PM »

My last position in the UK was permanent as a head of department in a CC (no tenure in the UK)

What's a CC in the UK?? We don't have them...
britprof

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 12:54:38 PM »

My last position in the UK was permanent as a head of department in a CC (no tenure in the UK)

What's a CC in the UK?? We don't have them...
Institutional equivalent: a general FE college offering qualifications up to HND. However, to avoid confusion among the majority of (US) forumites I think it makes sense to use terms that are more widely understood.
britprof

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 1:13:55 PM »

Well forumites, I had the second interview this week and this morning I received an offer from the dean. The salary is $60k with course reduction and ancillary benefits (health, dental, vision, pension, conference support, and a financial contribution to moving my academic materials over from the UK).  Although I have some reservations about the job I do recognize that (a) to get a full-time faculty position after being on the market for 6 years is totally against the odds; (b) to get the job in my wife’s home state is even more fortunate; and (c) since the college is within 70 miles of my wife’s family it is a quite extraordinary stroke of luck.  With my book also being published this week there must be an unusual stellar alignment!
seniorscholar

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 3:11:37 PM »

Ahhhh -- so pleased you have something that works at least for now (and I trust the next time will be much better). Very best wishes.
historienne

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 3:48:28 PM »

Congrats!  That sounds like a good outcome, all things considered - and the salary is not half bad for the region. 
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: