Favorite student sentences, Fall 2012 edition

<< < (2/118) > >>

dr_alcott:
Quote from: mountainguy on September 04, 2012, 10:51:43 AM

"I want to be a a kindergarten teacher because it will give me very flexible hours and lots of time after school to spend with my own children"

Ooooh, that's rich. My kids' kindergarten teacher was in her classroom for at least nine hours a day, and often ten.

proftowanda:
My kid started her career today as a kindergarten teacher (combined with first and second graders, too).

The darlings didn't come to school until 8:25.  However, all teachers are to be there at 7:30 for an all-staff meeting -- every day.  And they are required to stay until 4:30 -- yes, at least nine hours a day.  So much for "flexible hours."

There is no prep time during school hours anymore.  That's why they have to come early and stay afterward.

They do get a 10-minute break for lunch.  Yippee.

By the way, she and her co-teachers met yesterday, on the "holiday," too.  They decided to do so for more prep time together, not having been able to plan all that they wanted to plan for the last three weeks, before the semester started, when they also were required to be at school every day.  Only the last of those three weeks was paid.  One reason that they could not complete their planning is that they could not start it three weeks ago, when one of the teachers had yet to be hired.  Another reason was the class size still had not been determined as of Friday, with late enrollments in the school district by lackadaisical parents.  (As of this morning, they have 57 students, with more expected tomorrow, the next day, and the next day. . . .)

Please smack that student with a cluebat, barcrossliar.

fosca:
I don't know if this is a native speaker of English (the name is inconclusive) but particularly if it is, this is really kind of sad:

I have alway study for test in section or chapter for instinct if there were 3 chapters to study for on a test, I would study one chapter at a time for a couple of days then move to next chapter after that I would go over all the chapters on a daily basic til the day of the test. I have to review my notes just before the test to keep the material fresh in my head.

Sometimes this method work for me and sometimes it don't. It depend on how the test is set up, if mutiplication this method is good but if test is essay style I would need to try a different way of studying. I think the visual methods could work for me better because I am a more visual and hand on person to get the feeling and knology of what I am doing. I am the student that hate to read the hole text, I like to scam and skip over some of the material but I know thats not a good thing because I might be missing out the most important part. I will try to change my way of studying to be successful in my classes.

geoteo:
When translated into standard English, this is actually well thought out, and describes a study method that our native speakers would do well to emulate.  It sounds as if the student is using phonetic spellings for words he/she doesn't know how to spell.  "For instinct" is obviously intended to be "for instance," "basic" is "basis," and "multiplication" is "multiple choice."  I don't know how to help students like this, but I can see (hear?) what they're doing.

dr_alcott:
Quote from: fosca on September 04, 2012,  2:05:51 PM

I don't know if this is a native speaker of English (the name is inconclusive) but particularly if it is, this is really kind of sad:

I have alway study for test in section or chapter for instinct if there were 3 chapters to study for on a test, I would study one chapter at a time for a couple of days then move to next chapter after that I would go over all the chapters on a daily basic til the day of the test. I have to review my notes just before the test to keep the material fresh in my head.

Sometimes this method work for me and sometimes it don't. It depend on how the test is set up, if mutiplication this method is good but if test is essay style I would need to try a different way of studying. I think the visual methods could work for me better because I am a more visual and hand on person to get the feeling and knology of what I am doing. I am the student that hate to read the hole text, I like to scam and skip over some of the material but I know thats not a good thing because I might be missing out the most important part. I will try to change my way of studying to be successful in my classes.

I agree with Geoteo about this student's thoughtfulness.

This sounds like a typical developmental writing student to me. I've had a number of native English speakers who write exactly like this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page