• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 6:14:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 180
  Print  
Author Topic: Fluffy Faculty Forum  (Read 705751 times)
illuminata
Distinguished Senior Member

Sneak, snark, snuk.

« on: August 22, 2007, 1:04:38 PM »

ack! I've been attacked by fat cells, and they refuse to give up the fort!! I managed to gain 15#s while writing my dissertation last spring. It HAS to go. I got the proofs of my mugshots this morning and just about screamed. Action must be taken.

Who has lost/is working to loose weight? How did you do it?

Hints? Tricks? Ideas?

Playing tennis with grenades.
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 1:11:49 PM »

Lose (before Pedant arrives)

I can put you on the Dr. Spork lifestyle regimen (includes sporkcakes) but it involves behavioral modification, and you know how hard that is.

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
concordancia

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 1:16:15 PM »

Am working...

I tried to avoid the South Beach Diet, but living in the area that was hard to do. So I did my research.

You can do the full blown research for yourself. But here is an anecdote: In the book, there are many testimonials. They say things like "if I cheat, I notice that it affects how quickly I lose weight." I, personally, me, noticed that if I cheat I am much more likely to spend the evening engorging every carb in sight. As long as this is only in the evenings and only once a week or less, I feel crappy the next morning, but it doesn't really seem to affect the long term (I weigh myself everyday, but only record it on Monday mornings - since I tend to engage in more physical activity on the weekends, this isn't nearly as depressing as it sounds. And in the past I have found that recording a Friday or Saturday weight gives me "permission" to indulge the rest of the weekend, whereas knowing that it is coming on Monday keeps me on track). Which is rather longer than your long term.

I like money.  I like to buy stuff and experiences with money.  
history_grrrl

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 1:19:41 PM »

I've been trying, but I fell off the wagon while I was on vacation.

I lost about five pounds by doing the following for maybe two months:

Exercise: walk for 45 minutes every morning
Breakfast: cottage cheese with fresh fruit
Lunch: giant salad
Dinner: broiled fish, steamed vegetables, salad, fresh fruit
Snack (if unavoidable): fresh fruit

No bread. No rice. No potatoes.

It'll be even harder when summer ends. Sigh.

wild_rose
Looking back, I laugh at what I feared in the past, and hope for greater courage in the future.

The thrill of modern postism!

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 1:22:02 PM »

I lost 30 lbs in about 3 months, and I've managed to keep it off, although I'm on a plateau and would like to lose 20 more.

I started walking up the hill to work (I could go around so the hill isn't as steep, but chose to go up the steep hill.).

I also took a weight loss aid made by GNC; I looked for it on the website but don't see it, so I'll post it when I get home tonight and see the bottle.

I ate more veggies and cut way back on the pizza (pizza and ice cream are my downfalls). I drink green tea and less soda.

And I got a divorce.

I think that last one helped the most.

"[M]y toast just landed jelly side up so I think that bodes well for averting world-ending disasters.  I have faith in bread although the toasted aspect may mean you're going to have withstand some heat for a brief time and some aloe jelly will come in handy." --Notaprof, the Great Seer
rockprof

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 1:29:58 PM »

I've had pretty good luck with the South Beach diet - it works for me and I've lost a lot of weight with it in the past.   Unfortunately, I totally fell off the wagon this summer, ate like a pig, stopped going to the gym, and had to go buy some new slacks for the fall semester because my old ones are too tight.  I started Phase 1 of the South Beach diet Monday (no carbs).  It doesn't help that our department secretary loves to bring in homemade cakes and such (and she's an excellent cook).

I find it all very difficult because I eat when I'm depressed and I eat when I'm happy and want to celebrate.      Unfortunately, I'm a type II diabetic (runs in my father's side of the family) and have to watch my weight for health reasons.  Sigh.  I hate people who can eat what they want with no apparent repercussions.

The secret of teaching is to appear to have known all your life what you learned this afternoon.
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 1:37:21 PM »

Someone posted a website on another thread--thanks to whoever that was, btw--

sparkpeople.com

I thought it was fabulous.

You type in your current weight. Then your goal and then the date you'd like to have reached that goal.

If it's too optimistic they let you know.

You also add other goals like do more core training, drink more water, etc.

Then they allow you to track your food by carbs, calories, protein etc. They calculate it for you!
If you had a bowl of Special K, they know all the specs on it.  If you baked a potato, if you ate a steak ... it's all in their data.

They suggest exercises and tell you how much calories that burns. 

Of course, with moving and dissertating while moving and squatting and house hunting, I couldn't keep it up.

I'll go back to it once I'm settled and can start a regime up again.

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
tamiam

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 1:39:27 PM »

I went on the "no way am I eating that" diet on my research travel. Between the tropical heat and the gross food, I lost a few pounds and kept up my motivation through the summer. Bought an elliptical trainer which sits right in the middle of our family room, too. At the Vermont house, a simple walk around the block is essentially a 2 mile mountain hike, so plenty of exercise there.

My challenge will be keeping it all up as the s*** hits the fan this semester. I have high hopes. I simply cannot allow myself to need to be hauled up into a boat like a gigantic whale rather than lifting my svelt self gracefully over the side, next time I travel.

Hey look! I have a tag line too!
sheepdog_working

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 1:39:37 PM »

I lost 25 pounds about 5 years ago.  What worked for me was a combination of seeing a nutritionist (and actually listening to what she told me!) and weightlifting.  The more muscle you build, the more efficiently you burn calories--even when you're asleep.  Good luck!
rockprof

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 1:43:16 PM »

I lost 25 pounds about 5 years ago.  What worked for me was a combination of seeing a nutritionist (and actually listening to what she told me!) and weightlifting.  The more muscle you build, the more efficiently you burn calories--even when you're asleep.  Good luck!

I have to say that I found weightlifting very effective for losing weight as well.  Many women are afraid of weightlifting but it's good for them as well (you won't bulk up like a man does unless you're taking certain hormones).

The secret of teaching is to appear to have known all your life what you learned this afternoon.
illuminata

Sneak, snark, snuk.

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 1:47:27 PM »

I can put you on the Dr. Spork lifestyle regimen (includes sporkcakes) but it involves behavioral modification, and you know how hard that is.

ALL diets require that you change your habits, which is why it's sooooooooo hard to stay with it.

South Beachers, what's the deal? Do you count carbs, calories, both?? I need simple directions. The home lipo kit would be ideal, but its not on the market yet.

I'm walking first thing most mornings (unless it's raining) for about 30-40 minutes, and am avoiding fried stuff/dessert/creamy stuff, but no weight has fallen off yet. Obviously, it's time to get more organized in my efforts.

Playing tennis with grenades.
tamiam

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 1:49:47 PM »

I've always enjoyed weightlifting but don't enjoy resistance/muscle building exercises that you can do at home (pushups, etc.) So I've been slacking on that. I'm thinking that maybe heavy-duty yoga can help with the muscle building/toning, but although I always love doing yoga I can't seem to get started on a consistent routine. If I'm going to exercise, I feel compelled to "get the cardio out of the way" and never get around to the weight training at home.

It's so hard to build new habits. I was a religious gym rat before starting grad school and could maintain a body weight far higher than most women would believe, because I had so much muscle. I'm finding the exercising at home thing very challenging, but it's all I can manage because of time and child care constraints.

Sigh. Ah well, I did 45 minutes and 3.7 miles on the ol' elliptical today, so I shouldn't feel like a slacker.

Hey look! I have a tag line too!
onion

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 2:00:19 PM »

I have to follow a very restricted diet for health reasons, and one of the things that I do (and that the Abs Diet from Men's Health magazine recommends) is eat 6 small meals a day.  Three of the small meals would be something like carrots and hummus, almonds, yogurt, etc.  The idea is that you never let your blood sugar crash, your insulin never spikes, and you are always sated and less likely to go ape s*** at the end of the day and eat an entire cake, or something like that.  As for sweets, I've been taught to always eat them after a meal--it cushions the blow, so to speak, to your blood sugar levels.   

My fave no-worries dessert: skim ricotta cheese, sugar free jello chocolate pudding, mixed together with the hand blender.  Sort of like chocolate mousse--or at least as close as I'm going to get.  ;D

Good luck!
rockprof

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 2:08:29 PM »

South Beachers, what's the deal? Do you count carbs, calories, both?? I need simple directions. The home lipo kit would be ideal, but its not on the market yet.

I actually don't strictly follow South Beach.  The big thing is to limit your intake of carbohydrates (especially the refined carbs).  It's mostly common sense.  Avoid fatty meats, eat lots of vegetables, avoid carbs.  I try to have sweet potato instead of white potato, whole grains instead of white breads, wild rice instead of white rice (lower glycemic index carbs are better - http://www.glycemicindex.com/).

kissa_mau
Frequently Napping

Purrrvocative Posing

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 2:15:50 PM »

I have also been attacked by fat cells this year. In the past I have had very good luck with Weight Watchers online. After a few months I even stopped paying attention to the points and lost more weight just because I was naturally eating better. I managed to maintain that without any effort for a few years... until the fat cells mounted their counter attack.

Of course that carrot cake last night counts of a vegetable, right? Vegetables are healthy.

Cat! I'm a kitty cat. And I dance, dance, dance and I dance, dance, dance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 180
  Print  

Jump to: