• October 31, 2014

Chronicle Forums

October 31, 2014, 5:38:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Poll
Question: What is your opinion of pluots?
Mmmm...tasty! - 21 (25.9%)
They're OK, but I prefer their antecedents (apricots/plums). - 12 (14.8%)
They're nasty. - 2 (2.5%)
Is this poll really about the job search? - 6 (7.4%)
You frighten me. - 7 (8.6%)
What's a pluot? - 33 (40.7%)
Total Voters: 81

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Pluots  (Read 86403 times)
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: August 30, 2011, 11:16:47 PM »

OK, so as we approach midnight, at the start of another school year:  pluots.  What's the real deal?  I mean, I know what they are, but should I care?  How does the fact of pluots affect me, my life, my dreams?  Are they symbols, harbingers of a world to come?  Should we be frightened of them?

Do we, as a professoriat, have an opinion on pluots?  Post your thoughts on pluots here.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:18:16 PM »

Pluots are one of my mother's topics of conversation. Please do not be like my mother any more.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
helpful

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:19:48 PM »

Is a pluot a hybrid of plum and apricot? (That is what I am assuming). If they are not, what are they? Please explain.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 11:20:31 PM »

I prefer apriums.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 11:21:30 PM »

Is a pluot a hybrid of plum and apricot? (That is what I am assuming). If they are not, what are they? Please explain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluot

Ms. P., I hate to point this out, but your signature line quotes John Dewey:  that "fruitful object of knowledge."  Is this not a pluot?

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 11:21:45 PM »

I have not tried them, mostly because I disapprove of their pronunciation.

Plum plus apricot should not be pronounced "ploo - ott."   Where does the "ploo" come from?  Nowhere respectable, I assure you.

chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 11:25:38 PM »

I prefer apriums.

I was kidding when I wrote this, but I just discovered that apriums do actually exist.. Who knew?

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
yellowtractor

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 11:26:37 PM »

There is, apparently, a pluot variety named the "Flavor Penguin" (see Wikipedia article).

They were weird and new in supermarkets around here just 3-4 years ago, and now there are whole bins of them.  Just like tilapia a decade or so ago.  The genetic engineering aspect weirds me out, although I suppose it's no stranger than other fruits of hybridization we consume every day....

I prefer apriums.

I was kidding when I wrote this, but I just discovered that apriums do actually exist.. Who knew?

And plumcots and nectaplums.  ...I'm not sure I'm buying any of this, though.  I mean, it's Wikipedia, after all.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:27:26 PM by yellowtractor » Logged

mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 11:32:35 PM »

I like pluots and many of the other hybrids, but my market doesn't carry any of them. *pout*

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
helpful

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 11:45:10 PM »

First time I have heard of such fruit. Never seen them in these parts. Are they a fruit only available in California or the West?
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 11:46:35 PM »

I like pluots and many of the other hybrids, but my market doesn't carry any of them. *plout*

I fixed that for you.

voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 11:46:48 PM »

If a pouting pluot ploughman planted pluots in a plot, and the plot were ploughed on Pluto, would his pluot ploy play out?

I don't know whether conditions on Pluto are suitable for the growing of pluots. I suspect not.

VP

yellowtractor

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 11:51:52 PM »

First time I have heard of such fruit. Never seen them in these parts. Are they a fruit only available in California or the West?

No, I'm in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic/post-Irene metroglopolis.  Check your market, Helpful.  As I said, they were quite unusual here only a few seasons ago, and now we're awash in them.  Like Tribbles.

Vox, Pluto isn't a planet anymore, so I don't care.  Your Pluto/pluot ploy implodes.

helpful

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 11:52:35 PM »

Nope, they don't exist here. What do they taste like?
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 11:58:21 PM »

Vox, Pluto isn't a planet anymore, so I don't care.  Your Pluto/pluot ploy implodes.

Dude. Just because it isn't a "planet" anymore doesn't mean it ceased to exist. You could still plant pluots there.

Your planetary parochialism is perplexing.

VPl

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: