• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:00:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 335
  Print  
Author Topic: Girly skincare/makeup  (Read 484779 times)
spectacle
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2715 on: April 01, 2012, 3:09:40 PM »

I finally got a primer (I've been wanting to try all-over face primer for ages, since I am loving how awesome lip primer is).  I got MAC's Prep and Prime the other day and so far, so awesome. 

<snip>

my dermatologist wanted me to switch from an SPF 15 to an SPF 30 for daily moisturizer and I was very worried about finding one that absorbs well and doesn't feel like vaseline.  Cetaphil has a SPF 30 that I've been using for about a month and I am ecstatic with it.  It's smooth, it absorbs well, and it stays put under my makeup. 

Not to take anything away from your Cetaphil, but if you like MAC Prep + Prime then you may be interested to know that there exists a MAC Prep + Prime SPF 50. I don't know how it compares to the original, but it might be worth looking into as an alternate option.

VP

I just saw that! I think I'm going to go through the Prep + Prime pretty quickly and then I'm going to try the SPF next.  I also use the e.l.f. SPF 45 face powder that a Certain Genius recommended to me. 

No sun shall touch this skin this summer.

I think this thread is going well. Don't you think this thread is going well?
mathspice
On the elitist poop-head scale from 1-5, we give this

« Reply #2716 on: April 01, 2012, 3:53:29 PM »

Sorry if I missed this and would love it if someone could direct me to where this may have already been discussed... I am having major "T" dryness! It started by my nose, then moved up to between my eyebrows and now it's on the middle of my chin. Quite embarrassing... thoughts?

I'm teaching about honey, vinegar, and professionalism by example and it seems to work better for me than an exposition.
bacardiandlime
Ninja

That makes me more gangster than you

« Reply #2717 on: April 04, 2012, 8:14:59 AM »

Sorry if I missed this and would love it if someone could direct me to where this may have already been discussed... I am having major "T" dryness! It started by my nose, then moved up to between my eyebrows and now it's on the middle of my chin. Quite embarrassing... thoughts?

I don't know, beyond suggesting you see a dermatologist. I get odd dry patches and don't really have a cure beyond slathering on extra moisturiser. Do you use night cream?

I dropped in here to ask my own question, re. primer. I have used and loved various silicon primers, but I have just started using a L'Oreal cream (mousse?) foundation that is silicon-y itself. Would it be too much to wear both? I notice that if I over-apply the foundation on its own it kind of slides off.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 8:16:43 AM by bacardiandlime » Logged

voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #2718 on: April 04, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »

I dropped in here to ask my own question, re. primer. I have used and loved various silicon primers, but I have just started using a L'Oreal cream (mousse?) foundation that is silicon-y itself. Would it be too much to wear both? I notice that if I over-apply the foundation on its own it kind of slides off.

I know the foundation you mean, I think. Give it a try and see what happens. I use a silicone primer and a foundation with silicone, but I cannot also use a serum with silicone -- it pills up and sloughs off. And sometimes this happens more, and sometimes less. It depends so much on day-to-day changes in your skin as well as how much you apply, whether you let it dry before going to the next step, how much friction you use to rub it into your skin (well, on top of your skin, anyway), the weather (esp. heat/humidity), etc.

Are your hormones changing for any reason that you know of? If that doesn't work, see a derm as bacardiandlime suggested.

If not, up your exfoliation and the emollience of your moisturizers.

VP
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:27:39 PM by voxprincipalis » Logged

systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #2719 on: April 04, 2012, 4:44:53 PM »

Update:

Bare Escentuals Purifying Facial Cleanser - Works very well. Doesn't smell particularly good.  I'm going to stick wit the Shiseido for now.

Bobbi Brown Hydrating Face Cream - It's fine, but I can't use it without getting "It's My Prerogative" stuck in my head.  So, no.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 4:45:59 PM by systeme_d_ » Logged

figureeight

« Reply #2720 on: April 04, 2012, 5:48:39 PM »

Does anyone know a company that make pencil metallic eyeliners? Preferably in gold or bronze. I found one at Sephora I was excited to try, but the end result was more of a mute khaki than a metal.

I've been hunting for something I can use for a while. I love the way this looks with darker eyeshadow shades, but my technique with liquid eyeliners leaves a lot to be desired.
bacardiandlime
Ninja

That makes me more gangster than you

« Reply #2721 on: April 04, 2012, 5:51:51 PM »

Does anyone know a company that make pencil metallic eyeliners? Preferably in gold or bronze. I found one at Sephora I was excited to try, but the end result was more of a mute khaki than a metal.

I've been hunting for something I can use for a while. I love the way this looks with darker eyeshadow shades, but my technique with liquid eyeliners leaves a lot to be desired.

I have some Revlon cream eyeshadow in metallic shades, and I have used them as eyeliner with a thin brush. I'm also not very good with liquid eyeliners, but because the eyeshadow in this case is quite creamy and thick, it's more manageable.

systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #2722 on: April 04, 2012, 5:58:49 PM »

I swear by Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner pencils, and I know that some of them are metallic/shimmery. 

Didn't someone on this thread (CBD?) purchase the Naked set from Urban Decay?  I think those are metallic/shimmery, aren't they?

academic_cog

« Reply #2723 on: April 04, 2012, 6:03:46 PM »

I swear by Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner pencils, and I know that some of them are metallic/shimmery. 

Didn't someone on this thread (CBD?) purchase the Naked set from Urban Decay?  I think those are metallic/shimmery, aren't they?

I love both the eyeliners and eyeshadows from Urban Decay --- they are really heavily pigmented so you get a nice "pop" effect. I think I remember, from my last tester experience, that the brown UD eyeliners, even though shimmery in the pencil, were pretty soft and subtle on me. I think the blue and purple had glittery chunks in it. It was *electric,* crazy intense color, though.

I have "Baked" eyeshadow and it goes on very goldy and shimmery --- you could try layering it on with an eyeliner brush.

Duct tape is so often the solution. I'm Team Academic_Cog.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #2724 on: April 04, 2012, 6:19:58 PM »

Make Up For Ever also has some metallic liner pencils.

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
voxprincipalis
Member-Moderator

« Reply #2725 on: April 04, 2012, 6:54:31 PM »

Since there are so many pencil eyeliners on the market that I'd call "metallic," I wonder if you mean something else by that term than what I think you mean, since you say you've been hunting for awhile, or if your expectations don't match what pencils are capable of doing. Are you looking to duplicate the kind of finish of a metallic liquid liner? That will be difficult; the formulations are so different that you won't get quite as much metal out of a pencil liner just sort of by default.

VP

archaeo42
overly caffeinated

functioning at some level of sleep deprivation

« Reply #2726 on: April 04, 2012, 9:28:45 PM »

I have a basic argan oil question. I've recently started using it on my hair and the instructions on the bottle say to apply when hair is wet. My hair definitely seems less fried after blow drying but I'm wondering if it's better to apply after I've dried my hair. As it is, my hair definitely feels almost "sticky" (it's not as easy to run my fingers through it) than before I started using the oil. I work in 4 drops worth of the stuff so I don't think I'm over-applying. 

Huh! I put mine on my hair when it's dry or nearly-dry.  I find that it absorbs better on dry hair for me.

I'm just checking back in.  It was definitely the applying when wet and blowdrying causing the stickiness.  I use 2 to 3 drops depending on how dried out my hair seems.

I feel like I just got off a very weird, dirty bus and now I am on the wrong planet.
"Time is an illusion.  Lunch time doubly so."
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."
macaroon

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #2727 on: April 04, 2012, 9:35:20 PM »

Just went to the Macy's one day sale and picked up my Clinique gift bag and a couple of tubes of lipstick.  My mom did it every time the gift bag was available - I've done it a couple of times.
figureeight

« Reply #2728 on: April 05, 2012, 2:56:55 AM »

Since there are so many pencil eyeliners on the market that I'd call "metallic," I wonder if you mean something else by that term than what I think you mean, since you say you've been hunting for awhile, or if your expectations don't match what pencils are capable of doing. Are you looking to duplicate the kind of finish of a metallic liquid liner? That will be difficult; the formulations are so different that you won't get quite as much metal out of a pencil liner just sort of by default.

VP

I am looking for something that will match the liquid effect as closely as possible. I haven't tried barcardiandlime's suggestion of trying to achieve the same effect with a cream shadow as a liquid liner, however, and may give that a go. I haven't tried the Urban Decay pencils, but the pencil brands I've tried haven't had much of a shimmer once they're in place.
voxprincipalis
Member-Moderator

« Reply #2729 on: April 05, 2012, 6:09:53 AM »

VP

I am looking for something that will match the liquid effect as closely as possible. I haven't tried barcardiandlime's suggestion of trying to achieve the same effect with a cream shadow as a liquid liner, however, and may give that a go. I haven't tried the Urban Decay pencils, but the pencil brands I've tried haven't had much of a shimmer once they're in place.

The UD ones are probably your best bet, but they are definitely not as metallic as liquids. You might also try the drugstore brand Milani -- they make a line of "Liquid Eye Liquid-Like Metallic Eye Liner Pencils" (!) (link) that generally are well reviewed. There is a gold among the bunch but I'm not sure it will meet your needs.

This is, I suspect, why there are so many glitter eye pencils on the market -- to approximate the sheen and sparkle of metal in a way that pencil eyeliners can deliver (and still be safe for use on the eye).

VP

Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 335
  Print  

Jump to: