• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 6:50:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A veteran on the market  (Read 30880 times)
Anonymous
« on: March 20, 2002, 7:54:06 AM »

I love my job. I've been a community-college instructor for three years (and department head for one year), but my husband is interviewing elsewhere for work in his field. No, I don't believe in splitting up a marriage for the sake of academia, so that option is out.

I'm beginning the job search with a mixture of trepidation and excitement. We hear so much from job hunters who are new to the market, but what is the experience like for us "veterans" who are leaving the ol' "hobbit hole" of comfort and familiarity?

Old memories of the fear, short-term bitterness (had to give that up to maintain sanity), and headaches tied up with the job-search process still linger. Everyone tells me that it's easier when you have experience, but my cynical side has many questions. Any thoughts?
r. m. m.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2002, 5:38:02 PM »

If your husband is offered a job, he should inform his prospective employer that you must be offered a job also, or else your husband cannot accept the new position.

The same is true if you are the first to find a new job; you can insist that your husband also be hired.

In recent years, many husbands and wives have been able to be employed at the same college or university when one of the spouses makes it known that the other spouse also must be hired.
Ribald
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2002, 6:15:13 AM »

Don't give up your career for your husband. Bad things will happen down the road.
Anon
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2002, 8:46:17 AM »

I ran around the country behind my husband, who was chasing his career, back in the 'olden' days when wives were not considered. Thus, I had to uproot myself and my children, apply for jobs, resettle into a new community, and take whatever job I could find. This happened at least a dozen times.

The good things that came out of that experience were meeting new people, having new experiences, learning about new communities, and watching the kids grow. The bad things were uprooting the kids, leaving friends and communities behind, and changing  jobs. Particularly horrible was that I had to start all over again at the entry level wherever I went. My salary suffered. If I had not followed my now ex-husband, I would probably still be at one of my first university positions and I would possibly be a vice president by now with a sensible salary.

So, there are good and bad things, but you'll never know until it happens. Best wishes to you, whatever you do.
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2002, 7:27:55 PM »

It's me again! Well, it's the last day of April and guess what? Of the six full-time jobs I applied for (at both community colleges and universities), one has been filled (I didn't receive any written notice, of course, until I e-mailed them), another has been cancelled due to budget cuts (better to have it cancelled at this stage than after you're employed, I guess). With regard to the others,  who knows?!

I did land one on-campus interview and, as far as I know, the search committee is still deciding. The bottom line, however, is that even with solid experience, you can't count on job hunting being simple or fast. Being a veteran on the market does not give you much of a leg up over when you were a newcomer. I had a sinking feeling that this would occur when we first decided to move. Of course, there are plenty of adjunct positions, but I will do that only as a last resort. I can make more money selling things on eBay!

One bright spot is that my husband is in a non-academic field that pays very well. I don't know how folks who depend on every dime do this. I'll be back later -- hopefully with some good news for a change!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: