• October 31, 2014
November 01, 2014, 12:01:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Last day of class  (Read 2979 times)
skeptical

« on: April 28, 2012, 1:21:54 AM »

I should be elated. Today was the final day of the semester and my exam is ready for next week. What spoiled it was a couple of students who dropped by this afternoon. The first was a student who just picked up the five papers that he had turned in this semester--he wanted me to regrade all of them for him because the grades were "unacceptable" (his word). I refused. Then, another student came to complain that he just realized he was failing the class because of he had failed to complete all of the required work. He hadn't had time to do the work because he had to work two jobs BECAUSE HE WAS WHITE and had to work two jobs to pay his tuition and couldn't get any scholarships.
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY
Distinguished Senior Member

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 3:35:13 AM »

Sympathies, skeptical.  I'm in a similar boat, with a student (probably two, actually) similar to the first one you describe.

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
zuzu_
Frakking

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 8:34:02 AM »

I should be elated. Today was the final day of the semester and my exam is ready for next week. What spoiled it was a couple of students who dropped by this afternoon. The first was a student who just picked up the five papers that he had turned in this semester--he wanted me to regrade all of them for him because the grades were "unacceptable" (his word). I refused. Then, another student came to complain that he just realized he was failing the class because of he had failed to complete all of the required work. He hadn't had time to do the work because he had to work two jobs BECAUSE HE WAS WHITE and had to work two jobs to pay his tuition and couldn't get any scholarships.

Awesome. He'll go far with this attitude.
aside

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 8:46:30 AM »

Then, another student came to complain that he just realized he was failing the class because of he had failed to complete all of the required work. He hadn't had time to do the work because he had to work two jobs BECAUSE HE WAS WHITE and had to work two jobs to pay his tuition and couldn't get any scholarships.

I'm sorry you had to hear this.  Lack of mental action no doubt affected this student's scholarship oppportunities far more than did affirmative action.  But don't let this spoil that last-day feeling!
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 9:07:18 AM »

Good lord. Take yourself out for a cookie and a fancy coffee. These two idiots are out of your hair! It's almost summer!!!

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 9:58:48 AM »

Good lord. Take yourself out for a cookie and a fancy coffee. These two idiots are out of your hair! It's almost summer!!!

This.  Celebrate the end of your dealings with them!

The last day of the one course I'm teaching is Monday.  I'm looking forward to it and think that we'll have a good wrap-up discussion, but I am concerned about not having yet received term papers from two students.  I may need some venting on this thread myself if they don't show up to class with their (considerably tardy) papers in hand.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
hiddendragon

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 10:35:26 AM »

Only two papers not in?  You should celebrate.  In my class of 26, I have five papers not in yet.  I have a three days late policy, so tomorrow is the last day they can turn it in.  If it's not uploaded by tomorrow, it's over for them.  I expect a lot of BSing from them next week, during the last day of class.

My question to skeptical is, did you do your evals yet?  I hope you already did them since you're being quite frank with flakey.  If you did, then tell the flakey who wants you to regrade the assignments exactly what's on your mind.  If not, ask flakey to come in next week and you'll tell him/her then--after the evals.  DO NOT argue with flakey right before the evals.  Good luck.

[quote author=anisogamy link=topic=88863.msg2137910#msg2137910 The last day of the one course I'm teaching is Monday.  I'm looking forward to it and think that we'll have a good wrap-up discussion, but I am concerned about not having yet received term papers from two students.  I may need some venting on this thread myself if they don't show up to class with their (considerably tardy) papers in hand.
[/quote]
skeptical

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »

Hiddendragon, thanks for your concern. Yes, my evaluations are in; I'm always pretty frank with my students and it hasn't seemed to hurt with my scores. I've found that being frank (and speaking calmly) tends to diffuse situations with outraged students.
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 5:07:53 PM »

<looks at calender>

<counts 4 weeks>

<pouts with jealousy>

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
prof_smartypants
Treasure-pilferin' and grog-swillin'

You're getting hosed by small minds with no game.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 5:09:58 PM »

<looks at calender>

<counts 4 weeks>

<pouts with jealousy>

<GASP> I have three days left.

<hands melba a margarita>

systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 5:10:50 PM »

<looks at calender>

<counts 4 weeks>

<pouts with jealousy>

Same here, Melba.  We'll make it through.

melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 5:12:04 PM »

SD, thank you for the commiseration. Yes, we can make it!

PS, thanks for the drink <gulp, gulp>.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 5:13:48 PM »

Today is it!  Last day!  One more class!  Free!  Free!  I can see the light of freedom shining!

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 7:29:49 PM »

Today is it!  Last day!  One more class!  Free!  Free!  I can see the light of freedom shining!

<turns off the light>

We're trying to save on energy costs.

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: