• May 1, 2016
May 01, 2016, 11:44:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 1300 1301 [1302] 1303 1304 ... 1959
  Print  
Author Topic: "favorite" student e-mails  (Read 4684851 times)
cms99

« Reply #19515 on: August 01, 2012, 4:47:20 pm »

Hey, not a problem!  I've just been tearing my hair out with this class this summer, and this just pushed my buttons beyond belief.  One more day!!!!!

Quote from: tenured_feminist

May all of your domestic animals poop in your shoes.
fishprof
It's not stupid; It's advanced.
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #19516 on: August 01, 2012, 5:14:27 pm »

I'm with cj405 - criticism retracted.

As a future CYA, posting the prompt online save the hassle of there ever being a question of the student having access...

I know I "can't care more than they do", but my presence here alone renders that impossible.
cms99

« Reply #19517 on: August 01, 2012, 5:27:58 pm »

I'm mad at myself because I had forgotten to get the prompt posted for this class.  Normally it is online, but I didn't realize that until today actually.  Live and learn.

Quote from: tenured_feminist

May all of your domestic animals poop in your shoes.
kaysixteen

« Reply #19518 on: August 01, 2012, 6:10:27 pm »

Being well read is not the same as knowing how to prepare to get a job.  Really, it isn't, and it certainly will not make up for a lack of social contacts and networking or for the lack of money needed to take advantage of some of these opportunities, nor will it assist a young person in fighting the expectations of the community in which he was raised, and transcending it significantly.
reener06
Just another

« Reply #19519 on: August 01, 2012, 10:09:52 pm »

Full disclosure: I avoid this thread in the summer because I  like to keep my blood pressure under control. Today I got this (3 months after the semester ended):

Dr. Reener

I was in your 101 class last spring semester in the night class. I hope your summer has been going well so far. I know this seems out of the blue but I just received a call saying that I didn't make grades to keep my officer position in my organization. However I was only .02 points off from making the gpa requirement. Last semester was a really tough semester for me but my officer position means a lot to me and it's something I really want to keep. I did the extra credit paper for your class and I was wondering if there was any way you would take it in consideration to give me the full extra credit points. This will then give me an 88 in your class. I'll also be willing to do something extra to give me the couple of points to receive an A in your class. I'm so sorry to be asking this of you but I'm trying to do everything possible to keep my position. I willing to do anything to make up any points and receive an A in the class. Once again, I'm really sorry but I hope you would take this is in consideration, please let me know.

Best,
Stu Dent

I'm fairly certain it's a sorority she is concerned about. She wants a full 7 points added to her final grade for the extra credit (she earned 3 points) and then wants to do additional work now for me to grade to bring her grade up to an A so she can be an officer in an organization.

I kept it short and sweet--said no, not fair to the other students, and btw, am no longer employed by the university, so this email will soon no longer work. Spouse suggested I tell her to ask the organization if they can overlook .02 percent and make her an officer. She's asking me to overlook a much larger percentage (I think in the end she had an 81).
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #19520 on: August 02, 2012, 11:09:30 am »

I kept it short and sweet--said no, not fair to the other students, and btw, am no longer employed by the university, so this email will soon no longer work. Spouse suggested I tell her to ask the organization if they can overlook .02 percent and make her an officer. She's asking me to overlook a much larger percentage (I think in the end she had an 81).

She's obviously more scared of that organization than she is of you.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
reener06
Just another

« Reply #19521 on: August 02, 2012, 11:43:50 am »

Well, she emailed me back that she accepted my decision, although it pained her greatly.
kaysixteen

« Reply #19522 on: August 02, 2012, 2:03:59 pm »

No pain no gain.
desmata
California isn't just a dream any more.

« Reply #19523 on: August 05, 2012, 3:36:02 pm »

This is the latest email from a student who is "trying to coordinate my work and school schedule" for fall.

Hello Dr. Desmata,

On the syllabus it stated that the lab Manuel can be downloaded but doesn't give a site. Please forward me that information. Thank you again.

Student with a unique name that includes an ending apostrophe

She has been polite throughout but has already asked for: the syllabus, the reading, as well as the topic, exam, and lab schedules. Also she informed me that she will miss a scheduled exam and sent specific times she could make it up. This began 10 days ago and class doesn't start for three more weeks.

I have sent her everything I have ready but my last two responses have been: we can discuss this the first week of class. The lab manual isn't even completed yet (but I kept that info to myself). Please let me have the next 2.5 weeks of prep!

If scientists invented the legal system, eye witness testimony would be inadmissible evidence. --Neil deGrasse Tyson
mixedmetaphor

« Reply #19524 on: August 05, 2012, 6:59:42 pm »

... the lab Manuel...

I love that you've decided to name your lab Manuel!  Such a personal touch!

--MixedMetaphor, who now has to decide whether to name her course pack Vivian or Rupert
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #19525 on: August 05, 2012, 7:02:44 pm »

... the lab Manuel...

--MixedMetaphor, who now has to decide whether to name her course pack Vivian or Rupert

Maybe Rupert could be the syllabus?

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
geonerd
Limerick cretin, Editor in Chief, Journal of Non-Rhyming Things Unlearned and a

Do not take the bait.

« Reply #19526 on: August 05, 2012, 7:30:58 pm »

... the lab Manuel...

This reminded me of a great Dilbert cartoon.

You see in the forums a reflection of what you offer by way of the attitude you display through your posts.
funkypeanut
Keepin' and droppin' and tweakin'

« Reply #19527 on: August 06, 2012, 1:25:58 am »

... the lab Manuel...

And if you have three exams, you could name them Huey, Dewey and Louie.

forest_and_the_trees: "And I keep reading funkypeanut as funkypeasant.  There are so few of those."

Quote from: ptarmigan
"Fump up the bunnies, fump up the bunnies, fump up the bunnies, mix, mix!"
desmata
California isn't just a dream any more.

« Reply #19528 on: August 06, 2012, 1:40:36 pm »

... the lab Manuel...

And if you have three exams, you could name them Huey, Dewey and Louie.

Oh so tempting. I truly enjoy naming and/or renaming mundanely labeled items.  *scurries off to rename every last assessment for fall instead of finishing this workshop presentation (which I hereby christen Camille)*

If scientists invented the legal system, eye witness testimony would be inadmissible evidence. --Neil deGrasse Tyson
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #19529 on: August 06, 2012, 2:25:42 pm »

There's a potential good song lyric here.  "...and they called the test Mariah."

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
Pages: 1 ... 1300 1301 [1302] 1303 1304 ... 1959
  Print  

Jump to: