Positive ways to say "Don't be THAT student"

(1/8) > >>

polly_mer:
At the end of the semester, I have a lot of energy to review what I want to do differently next time.

Because we are encouraged to be positive at my institution, I'm making a list of things that students can do to become my favorites instead of listing a bunch of Thou Shalt Not.  I plan to hand this list out the first day of class and go over it briefly.

For example,

My favorite students arrive to class a couple minutes early to pick up the handouts, get settled in their seats, copy the upcoming assignments off the board, and be ready for class to start at the top of the hour.My favorite students start the assignment early enough to come to student hours with questions and get them answered before submitting the assignment.  I am particularly fond of students who regularly ask questions before submitting lab reports.My favorite students come for extra help with the math starting from the first week because they know that they can improve.
What other things should I put on that list?

archman:
My favorite students will turn off and *put away* their cell phones and other electronic devices when class begins.

phydeaux:
I like the idea but want to sound a cautionary note about the phrasing. It could set you up for accusations of favoritism, so how about something like " the most successful students..."?

zenprof:
I love this idea!

I might not phrase it "my favorite" and "I am fond of"---I might instead prefer "The most successful students" and "The best students" and "the students who earn the best grades tend to be those who..." and "the students who do X tend to learn the material with the last about of trouble."

Not about liking, or us, right? (though I know I do like some a lot more than others!)

My addition to this excellent list:

Students whose comments in class discussion stay on the main topic and who cite passages from the assigned readings as evidence generally earn higher participation grades; and they also tend to come up with great paper topics.

Students who get the class notes from reliable classmates tend not to fall behind.
(on preview: what phydeaux said)

entropy05:
Small Pesky Point: "favorite" seems a tricky term - at core subjective, and denoting liking something or someone better than another. You likely don't want students thinking about whether "I'm a favorite of Prof Polly-Mer"
( = "does she like me??") or interpreting your list of favorite behaviors as an exercise in fawning.

Could you replace that term with something like "Students who do well in this course"?

Just a thought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page