• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:30:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Drugs for acute depression  (Read 20034 times)
frogfactory
Totally Metal
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: April 18, 2012, 11:04:03 AM »

Antidepressants and I have a mixed history.  In the past I've used citalopram, sertraline and mirtazipine for ongoing depression.  It's hard to tell how well they worked, and I haven't taken any for quite a few years now.  I'm currently experiencing quite a severe acute depression for situational reasons, and I'm planning to try and drag myself to the doctor tomorrow to see if I can get a short term prescription of something just to help me pull myself out of this hole.  However, I haven't really thought about antidepressants in years, and I know they're really quite a rapidly evolving group of drugs.

Does anyone have any advice or experience?  I know everyone's brain and everyone's depression are different, and that there's no one-size-fits all solution, but anything at all would be a starting point.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:16:47 AM »

I am on Pristiq - and I like it. However, it can take a few weeks to amp up, depending on your chemistry.

It is new(ish) and can be expensive. It is supposed to be less miserable to stop ( as opposed to say, Effexor) when you want to wean off.

Is this a regular doctor, as in someone who knows your history?

I didn't get the fast relief  from Pristiq that I got from Prozac (when I first started on it). I metabolised Prozac like a champ. I felt great within Days. The Pristiq took more time, but I have been happy with it once it got up to full speed.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:24:34 AM »

Thanks for the information.  I'd forgotten all about the ramping up aspect.  That's not really what I need.  I'm more looking for one big shot of happy juice to kick my arse out of bed so I can start the business of looking after myself and coping.  I'm not even thinking about taking anything continuously for maintenance yet, although that might not be such a bad idea.  I've already hit my health payment ceiling for my insurance with the car accident, so I guess it wouldn't cost anything at least for the rest of the year if I make sure I get something that's covered.

macaroon

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:30:21 AM »

Are you taking fish oil? 

Right.  I'm on every thread about the fish oil.  I couldn't get JACK from my doctor when I was going through a rough patch.  I started taking fish oil and I improved drastically in a couple of weeks. 

It's cheap.  It's good for you.  It just might work. 
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:36:51 AM »

So, that was interesting.  Called to make an appointment with student health, and somehow appear to have got roped into a series of psych appointments.  Not for a couple of weeks, though.  I hope they can give me something to tide me over until then.

macaroon

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »

So, that was interesting.  Called to make an appointment with student health, and somehow appear to have got roped into a series of psych appointments.  Not for a couple of weeks, though.  I hope they can give me something to tide me over until then.

In grad school, I had the best psych support ever.  Med students and grad students tend to jump in front of trains a lot, causing bad press for the school. 
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 12:45:04 PM »

Maybe you don't need antidepressants. Maybe benzos would work better for a rough patch, but then I think benzos are a panacea. I take Wellbutrin, which is okay. It's different than the SSRIs. Also, I take a cocktail on  account of being bipolar, so I'm never completely sure what each drug is doing.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 1:03:33 PM »

I'd go for ECT if I was told it'd help in my case.  I guess I'll see what they say tomorrow. 

theatremom

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 2:00:11 PM »

I've tried pretty much everything over the years, too. About a year ago, my doc prescribed Abilify as an add-on to my cocktail, and I've been very impressed with it. The ramp up was pretty quick -- I started feeling better in about a week -- and I haven't ever tried anything that clears the fog of depression as well. YMMV, of course.

britmom
I'm a grant getting

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 6:54:31 AM »

I can't think of much that would work immediately. (Although, citalopram and sertraline started working within a few days for me, but then again, that is apparently a sign of bipolar. The two subsequently sent me hypomanic so it's hard to know what to make of that. I'm currently considering starting an tricyclic antidepressant, which works in a different way to SSRI's.)

I think what might work depends on what your symptoms are: insomnia? anxiety? dead-weight depression? If you're not sleeping well, getting something to help in that respect might give you a quick boost.

I know that this may sound like a ridiculously lightweight suggestion, but have you tried Bach rescue remedy? I tried it recently (both the rescue remedy itself and the individual flower essences.) The rescue remedy did nothing, but I found that Larch gave me a little boost for an hour or so. The extract of White Chesnut seriously relaxed me, to the point that I wanted to fall asleep. Valerian tea helps my anxiety. (Just be careful with what you take - herbal remedies can cause their own problems.)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 6:55:00 AM by britmom » Logged

Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy - Girl Interrupted
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 9:18:20 AM »

Isn't Rescue Remedy the stuff that's essentially a bunch of flowers in an 80% ethanol solution in a dropper bottle?  I think it's reasonably obvious what the active ingredient is in that stuff...

britmom
I'm a grant getting

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 10:15:15 AM »

Isn't Rescue Remedy the stuff that's essentially a bunch of flowers in an 80% ethanol solution in a dropper bottle?  I think it's reasonably obvious what the active ingredient is in that stuff...

There's a range - some of it is in grape alcohol (27% on my bottle), but other formulations don't contain alcohol. As I said, I found the original Rescue Remedy (both the alcohol and the non-alcohol version) to be useless, but the White Chesnut stuff really did help relax me. I've been using the sleep aid (no alcohol) and it definitely helps me relax and drop off to sleep. (But I'm a lightweight when it comes to sleep med's.) I don't think this is purely related to the alcohol in it. (Two drops in a glass of water...)

It was just a thought; I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone.

I tried this stuff out of sheer desparation, and didn't think it would make a bit of difference. It's helped, although I think it's better for relaxing/calming anxiety.

Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy - Girl Interrupted
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 10:20:25 AM »

Sorry, I was being snippy.  I have a tendency to be snippy when I'm anxious.  I have read your post and written down your suggestions.

anorak

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »

For situational anxiety, I've used Bach's Rescue Remedy pastilles and clonazepam (a benzo) -- not both at once, of course.  I started with the pastilles and later saw my doctor about the benzos.  I did feel a relaxing effect from the pastilles, perhaps something similar to what half a glass of wine would do for me.  I'm not sure how either the pastilles or the clonazepam would work for depression since I needed help with panic and racing thoughts, not to give me a boost.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 11:11:16 AM »

Benzos are a panacea for whatever ails your mind.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: