Best Student Sentences: Spring 2013 Edition

<< < (93/122) > >>

citrine:
"This article is credible because the Oxford University Press is an established organization and search engine."

Take that, Edward Mellen Press! [interthreaduality]

mystictechgal:
Quote from: citrine on April 18, 2013,  3:36:18 PM

"This article is credible because the Oxford University Press is an established organization and search engine."

Yahoo's an "established organization and search engine", too (as, in that sense, is EMP), but that doesn't make all of their articles credible. The student does understand this, right?

citrine:
Quote from: mystictechgal on April 18, 2013,  4:13:14 PM

Yahoo's an "established organization and search engine", too (as, in that sense, is EMP), but that doesn't make all of their articles credible. The student does understand this, right?

I wish I could say yes, but despite instruction on my part and the librarian's part, that concept does not seem to have sunk in. I have explained it to her again.

prytania3:
"It's still unclear what caused the blast, which was so intense its ground motion registered as an earthquake, or whether it was the result of criminal activity."

Oh wait. That wasn't from a student. That was from a CNN article.

mountainguy:
Quote from: citrine on April 18, 2013,  6:50:02 PM

Quote from: mystictechgal on April 18, 2013,  4:13:14 PM

I wish I could say yes, but despite instruction on my part and the librarian's part, that concept does not seem to have sunk in. I have explained it to her again.

I see we teach the same students.

By this point in the semester, probably 65-70% of my students are using the right kinds of sources (books, academic articles). But they're doing it because "Professor Mountainguy is crazy, dude, and you gotta follow his directions if you want to get a good grade." They don't understand the concept of source credibility, even though we've been over it in class, they've been quizzed on it, and they've had a class period of instruction from the reference librarian.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page