Plagiarism Chronicles

<< < (402/537) > >>

llanfair:
Quote from: mountainguy on February 28, 2013,  6:39:43 PM

This is reason #137,000 why I love being unionized.

Any unreasonable "let's meet to talk about it" request from an administrator here could be met with faculty bringing along a caustic, sharp-witted union representative as a witness to said meeting. Administrators know this, and consequently are very deferential to faculty.

Ditto here.  And thank Horus for that.

quasicat:
Quote from: llanfair on February 28, 2013,  7:36:41 PM

Quote from: mountainguy on February 28, 2013,  6:39:43 PM

This is reason #137,000 why I love being unionized.

Any unreasonable "let's meet to talk about it" request from an administrator here could be met with faculty bringing along a caustic, sharp-witted union representative as a witness to said meeting. Administrators know this, and consequently are very deferential to faculty.

Ditto here.  And thank Horus for that.

Alas, i have no union nor do I make a living wage.  I count my graduate degree in the art of basket weaving as one of my foremost poor life choices. That is why, with any luck, I will off to greener pastures in the private sector by May. 

zombie_librarian:
Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick.

I have a grade appeal pending from a student in an intro comp class. Student turned in a plagiarized paper, and I gave him the opportunity to rewrite it. I emailed him in week 6 about this, then emailed him again on the last day of class (the course was only eight weeks long).

He emailed me three days after the end of class to ask if he could still rewrite, but I declined as I had already submitted grades.

My dean backed me up at the time, but a different office handles the appeal (student affairs? something like that).

I do not need this right now, especially not from a cut-and-paste plagiarist. His appeal rests on the idea that he "made some mistakes with citations."

litdawg:
Just popping in to say that I've had more plagiarism this quarter than in a long time. I gave my usually scary speeches about plagiarism, but to no avail. I think I will do something new next quarter. Fortunately, the only class with essays next quarter is a graduate seminar.

infopri:
Quote from: litdawg on March 21, 2013,  4:21:23 PM

Just popping in to say that I've had more plagiarism this quarter than in a long time. I gave my usually scary speeches about plagiarism, but to no avail. I think I will do something new next quarter. Fortunately, the only class with essays next quarter is a graduate seminar.

It's too early in the semester for my grad students to commit plagiarism, but I did have a gang in one of my undergrad classes all hand in an identical file, each with his or her own name on it.  (That is, one person did the work, then made copies for all her friends.)  Thing is, we're using a system designed, among other things, to detect this very kind of cheating.

They are so busted.

I even know which student did the work, and which students handed in copies of her work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page