"favorite" student e-mails

<< < (4503/5685) > >>

burnie:
All of my graduate teaching assistants put their cell numbers on the syllabus (I don't ask them to, that's just how they roll), and they have my cell number for class emergencies.  So if a student has a wacky question at odd hours the GTAs will text or email it to me knowing I'll reply when I get it (a few times they got questions when they ran into students at a bar...while I was at the bar up the road.  Good times).  I enjoy the filter, and the TAs don't seem to mind.  I keep telling them they don't have to provide their phone numbers, but they like it.

remylebeau:
I'm a lucky adjunct in that I share an office, and have an office phone, but I teach at night and am never in the office during the day. I've given my cell phone out to students the past few years and never received a phone call or text. Obviously, I don't teach as many students, or have advising, so YMMV, but I've found that students prefer to use e-mail to communicate.

pathogen:
Email exchange, yesterday.

Student:
Dr. Pathogen,
My name is Stu Dent, and I would like to attend your class this semester. I need to register for late registration, which is tomorrow morning at 8 am. Can you do an override? Thanks.

Me:
I teach three classes. Which one do you want to get into?

Student:
So sorry for not being more clear! I want your Basketweaving class at 2pm.

.....I teach two different basketweaving classes at 2 pm on different days of the week. Sigh.                                                                                 

dr_evil:
I thought it was bad enough when I had the student that would frequently email late in the evening (after 9pm) and then complain when I didn't answer before the morning.  No way in hell would I have given this person a phone number.  For the students who think it's an emergency, I have this T-shirt.

marigolds:
Quote from: dr_evil on January 10, 2013,  2:35:04 PM

I thought it was bad enough when I had the student that would frequently email late in the evening (after 9pm) and then complain when I didn't answer before the morning.  No way in hell would I have given this person a phone number.  For the students who think it's an emergency, I have this T-shirt.

I put this into my syllabus quiz. 

1. What should you do if I haven't answered your email after 30 minutes? Correct answer: WAIT.

2. What should you do if I haven't answered your email after 48 hours? Correct answer: resend with a polite inquiry, because it may be caught in a spam filter.

It warmed my little grinchy heart that so many of them got #1 right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page