• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 10:22:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What other work do you do to earn a living?  (Read 10757 times)
adjunctatlas

« on: October 22, 2010, 9:38:10 AM »

I haven't yet had any luck in getting more adjunct work, nor any luck either in finding part-time evening work--I teach every day of the week afternoons.  Maybe I'm not being imaginative enough, so I'd like to hear what others are doing, particularly those in the humanities who don't have high-tech skills.  Thanks!
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 12:56:28 PM »

"Paper or plastic?"

Sorry.  You might try doing some online teaching at Phoenix, Kaplan, or one or two of those mega online operations.  They always have a link on the home page for prospective faculty.

There is test prep work (Princeton and Kaplan), and test grading work for the essay parts of standardized exams.  Measured Progress is one such outfit.

How about being a stringer for a local paper?  (A reporter who gets paid by the story.)

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 2:51:51 PM »

I tutor two private school kids one evening a week for an hour and a half, and do about 2 hours' worth of freelance consulting in my Plan B field a week. This nets me an extra $800-$1000/month. (Many private school parents are willing to pay $75-$100/hour for an excellent tutor with a PhD.)
edumacator
Let our love be a flame, not an ember/Say it's me that you want to dis-

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »

I teach at the K-12 level full-time and will be adjuncting 2 evenings a week this coming spring.  My PhD is in education and I hope to move to the TT.  Most ed schools want TT faculty to have siginificant full-time K-12 experience as well higher education teaching experience so, along with the small research agenda I'm maintaining, I continue to build my CV.
adjunctdoglover

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 5:59:27 PM »

SAT tutoring. I kind of enjoy it and actually find the students more dedicated than those at my day job.
slinger
Quite Un-

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 9:26:27 PM »

I work part-time at a local museum in my field.

We also run an Amazon bookstore from free and used books we collect.

Several threads on the fora could be solved by just Being A Damn Grownup.
That is it, Slinger, you're banned!
creativeintelligence

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 9:32:34 PM »

SAT prep is usually good.  ASVAB tutoring is another good way to make some extra money.  Best advice:  Find a SAT prep program that needs tutors.  I work with one that acts as an agent; putting students and instructors together for a percentage.  It's the best way to make money over the breaks.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 12:34:31 AM »

My wife and I write grants and evaluate history education projects. It was tough to break into but has been a ton of fun and we have met so many interesting people.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
barred_owl
Elegant yet understated

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 2:00:32 AM »

Not in the humanities, but I could definitely benefit from a little extra income.  I don't have time for a second job (plus, I believe my contract would prohibit such a thing), so, for now, I'm ebaying.  The income is sporadic, but helps whenever it does come in.  Just this past week, I turned an original investment of $30 into $150 via ebay--again, not much, but it will certainly buy a lot of groceries!

...I can't help rooting for the underdog underbird.
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 11:28:58 AM »

I do a little consulting on the side. However, this has really dried up over the last year.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
adjunk

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 4:36:14 PM »

I used to sell on eBay.  Started selling my own belongings, of course (what adjunct hasn't been there during the lean times) but then had a nice little side business going buying, refurbishing, and reselling antiques and collectibles.  But that was 10 years ago.  eBay is a different animal these days, and I generally avoid it.
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 11:29:30 AM »

I used to sell on eBay.  Started selling my own belongings, of course (what adjunct hasn't been there during the lean times) but then had a nice little side business going buying, refurbishing, and reselling antiques and collectibles.  But that was 10 years ago.  eBay is a different animal these days, and I generally avoid it.

Oh, I did that, too! I funded the purchase of a new Mac by selling off all my old computers, games, assorted other junk. eBay has become more of a professional sales site now, and the amateurs have been crowded out.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
barred_owl
Elegant yet understated

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 1:04:23 PM »

Oh, I did that, too! I funded the purchase of a new Mac by selling off all my old computers, games, assorted other junk. eBay has become more of a professional sales site now, and the amateurs have been crowded out.

Well, we're not all out, just yet!  I know what you mean, though--ebay's main page looks more like a sales flyer from Target or wherever.  You'd never know that anyone could sell, say, a souvenir plate from Florida or an old Atari game, etc.  But, such people still exist, and people still buy from them!  :)

...I can't help rooting for the underdog underbird.
fizmath

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »

Is there a good alternative to ebay?  I was thinking of selling used books online.
slinger
Quite Un-

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 12:59:42 AM »

Is there a good alternative to ebay?  I was thinking of selling used books online.

Definitely.  We do used books on Amazon.  It's easy, cheap, and we've made a substantial profit. 

Several threads on the fora could be solved by just Being A Damn Grownup.
That is it, Slinger, you're banned!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: