• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 3:39:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: puzzling job offer: double-posted from another part of the forum  (Read 8984 times)
latigo

« on: April 06, 2007, 12:04:43 AM »

I received a job offer via e-mail completely out of the blue from a Middle Eastern university to which I applied long ago.  It's not a well-known university, and frankly I don't know how good its students or faculty are.  The job is not tenure-track, which, in my mind, would be a plus, since I'm not sure I would want to live in the Middle East for a long period of time.  I would love to live in the country in question temporarily, however.

Here's the kicker, though: they never answered my past queries about the job (I gave up and applied for it as best I could, since no one was responding to me), they never interviewed me or even contacted me before this, and I don't even know who these people are, or vice-versa!  Honestly, I don't even know what I would be expected to teach.  They're giving me less than a week (!) to say either yes or no to their offer.  There is to be no negotiation about the salary (which is quite low) or benefits.

Perhaps this is a cultural thing, and my expectations, which have been shaped by the North American hiring system, just don't apply here.  This is not an American-affiliated or -founded university, so it's quite possible that their ways of doing things are very different.  Still, I feel very hesitant to pack up my life and move to the other side of the globe for a job that I know so little about, and that I've been offered under (what I perceive to be) such weird circumstances.  I DO have other job possibilities, and several offers, at U.S. schools.  These jobs not great, and the locales aren't exciting, but they are known quantities.

Anyone have any perspective on this?

infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY
Distinguished Senior Member

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 12:11:03 AM »

How badly do you want to live in this Middle East country?

I dunno.  If it were me, I'd want to know a WHOLE lot more before accepting the offer before packing up and moving halfway around the world.  But then again, I'm not terribly adventurous. 

Since you have other offers here, you have options.  But if you have any interest in the Middle East offer, might it be worth investing a dime (or many) and CALLING this place, and trying to get some info?

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
latigo

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 12:41:07 AM »

It would, I agree.  Part of the tension is that I'm currently at a campus visit for another job, so I'm pretty restricted in what I can do, and.  Another thing is that I have no phone number for this individual, merely an e-mail address for the insitution.
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY
Distinguished Senior Member

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 12:53:13 AM »

Another thing is that I have no phone number for this individual, merely an e-mail address for the insitution.

I'd imagine you can track down the institution's general phone number.  Once you're connected, I'd see if there was some sort of phone-based directory information, or even whether the person who initially answered could connect you directly.  (I assume you've already checked the website for contact info.)

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: