• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 10:28:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 157
  Print  
Author Topic: dissertators and thesis writers support thread  (Read 749451 times)
barnaclegoose
Freshly Minted

« Reply #2085 on: November 26, 2012, 1:08:57 AM »

To defend on time, I need to have a review copy to my committee by 2/7/13.

You can do it!
barnaclegoose
Freshly Minted

« Reply #2086 on: November 27, 2012, 11:25:19 AM »

I defend at the end of the week and am kind of freaking out. Not really freaking out, but I'm having a lot of OMG moments and dreading reading the last batch of comments that arrived over the weekend. I'm excited at the thought of being done, but worry that I'm just not the scholar I should be at this point. This isn't a post looking for advice--I just needed to say this to someone other than my (very supportive) partner, who's heard it all once to often.
kangaroo
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2087 on: November 27, 2012, 11:37:32 AM »

I submitted dissertation corrections to my committee, and they want more corrections. I feel like they are just picking on me at this point. Ugh.

Hugs and good wishes to everyone who needs them! There are a lot of us here!
westcoastgirl

« Reply #2088 on: November 27, 2012, 1:06:09 PM »

Good luck to all of you, whether the finish line is this week or a few months down the road. You can do it!

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
barnaclegoose
Freshly Minted

« Reply #2089 on: November 30, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »

Because I have to tell someone:I passed my defense!
lohai0

« Reply #2090 on: November 30, 2012, 10:14:30 PM »

Congrats!! That is much better than my news. (Done with data analysis)

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
dr_prephd

« Reply #2091 on: December 04, 2012, 9:40:38 PM »

Congrats! Feels good, eh?

westcoastgirl

« Reply #2092 on: December 04, 2012, 11:27:58 PM »

Awesome! Congrats, Dr.

ellaminnowphd
Curiously Strong

« Reply #2093 on: December 05, 2012, 7:26:40 AM »

Yay, Dr. Barnaclegoose! Feels good, huh?  How did it go overall?

I just submitted the diss. to ProQuest.  I'm sure there is still a typo or two but at this point, I DON'T CARE!  I'm done!

At my mom's request, I am doing the graduation ceremony.  My stepdad passed away two weeks ago and he was a major influence on my scholarship.  Mom will be there and stepdad will be there in spirit. 

barnaclegoose
Freshly Minted

« Reply #2094 on: December 05, 2012, 3:11:13 PM »

Thanks, all!

It feels good, I must say. Just a few tidying-up items to do before handing it in to the DGS. Today, I'm off to get my celebratory tattoo.

The defense went well, from my perspective, though I learned afterward that my committee thought they were terribly hard on me--harder than most defenses at my school go, apparently. Glad I didn't know that at the time. To me, they asked reasonable questions and challenged me to, well, defend my work. I took copious notes for what to do to turn the project into a book.

Though this week will be a bit of a rush to grade and get the changes and formatting in order (nevermind having to go out of town for three days), I still feel far more relaxed than I did a week ago.

To everyone who's still chugging along: you can do it! And it feels awesome when you're done.
dr_prephd

« Reply #2095 on: December 05, 2012, 5:39:42 PM »

I just submitted the diss. to ProQuest.  I'm sure there is still a typo or two but at this point, I DON'T CARE!  I'm done!

Awesome. And probably. But you're right... who cares? I found a typo or two in mine after publication, but in a document that long, without a professional copy editor, there were bound to be a few. (This despite the fact that I was a copy editor in my previous life. But sometimes you really just don't care anymore.)

ellaminnowphd
Curiously Strong

« Reply #2096 on: December 05, 2012, 6:53:23 PM »

Thanks, all!

It feels good, I must say. Just a few tidying-up items to do before handing it in to the DGS. Today, I'm off to get my celebratory tattoo.

The defense went well, from my perspective, though I learned afterward that my committee thought they were terribly hard on me--harder than most defenses at my school go, apparently. Glad I didn't know that at the time. To me, they asked reasonable questions and challenged me to, well, defend my work. I took copious notes for what to do to turn the project into a book.

Though this week will be a bit of a rush to grade and get the changes and formatting in order (nevermind having to go out of town for three days), I still feel far more relaxed than I did a week ago.

To everyone who's still chugging along: you can do it! And it feels awesome when you're done.

Pictures - or it didn't happen!

Seriously though, if you're up for sharing I'd love to know what you're getting!  I'm thinking about getting another one in honor of this milestone. 

barnaclegoose
Freshly Minted

« Reply #2097 on: December 05, 2012, 7:27:33 PM »

Thanks, all!

Pictures - or it didn't happen!

Seriously though, if you're up for sharing I'd love to know what you're getting!  I'm thinking about getting another one in honor of this milestone. 

It's a fleur-de-lys with a cherry blossom branch in the background. It's a mix of my two higher ed schools and research interests.

And believe me, it happened. I'm still feeling the needle tingle an hour later.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #2098 on: December 05, 2012, 10:04:05 PM »

Awesome. And probably. But you're right... who cares? I found a typo or two in mine after publication, but in a document that long, without a professional copy editor, there were bound to be a few. (This despite the fact that I was a copy editor in my previous life. But sometimes you really just don't care anymore.)

I've seen the errors in mine as well. I have to clean this up.

jamst179

« Reply #2099 on: January 10, 2013, 2:12:43 PM »

Anyone defending soon? My defense date is scheduled for 2/6 at 10am. I am so nervous.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 157
  Print  

Jump to: