• February 11, 2016
February 11, 2016, 1:12:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Advantages of or alternatives to Windows 8  (Read 2900 times)
annmarie
Finally a
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: December 04, 2012, 1:00:53 pm »

I would like to buy a new computer as the one I  have is getting old. 

When I look at the HP and Dell sites, I see that their computers are shipping with Windows 8.  Well, I wonder how well Windows 8 has been tested, and don't think I need the features that Windows 8 is known for.

I care little about touch screen technology or direct sharing of files between devices.  I can use other feartures including google docs or dropbox if I want them.

Does anybody know what other advantages of Windows 8 are, or what the alternatives are?

I use my computer for programming, running statistical software,  writing papers & downloading articles from the univ's library site.  To a lesser extent, I use the computer for entertainment (downloading from a digital camera, email, etc)
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 2:15:38 pm »

Windows 8 is the ocean and you are a fish. Choice is an illusion.

Maybe you could buy a copy of Windows 7 somewhere. Also, I believe you can tweak 8 to look and feel like 7--Google knows how. Or you can get all uber geek and install a Linux OS. I use Ubuntu opn a couple of old machines, it is easy to install and quite slick.

This rant was brought to you by the society for accepting the things that you cannot change.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 3:32:37 pm »

I'm still running Windows XP, having been burned during the Vista roll-out.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
francie_
The Really Cheerful

The Voice of Reason

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 6:46:21 pm »

Avoided the Vista disaster and still running XP on my old desktop, but I do like Windows 7.  Why did MS go and mess with it?  Why?  Why, why, why, why?

Francie, who prefers not to reach out and touch every gosh-darned computer screen.  Germs, ick.

I like your devious nature, Francie.
larryc
Troll Proof

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 8:06:58 pm »

Yeah, I think that Windows 7 is a thing of beauty. The change to 8 seems to be all about Microsoft trying to leverage its share of the one market it still dominates to get a foothold in the tablet and phone market at this late date.

This rant was brought to you by the society for accepting the things that you cannot change.
tee_bee
I've really made it in academe, now that I am a

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 8:45:39 pm »

There's one feature of Win8 that makes me want to upgrade: it has a proper built in back up system that works very similarly to Apple's brilliant Time Machine. At least, that's what the tech press is saying.

Also, I think you can set some sort of default to make Win8 always come up looking like the Win7 desktop.

That said, I am in no particular hurry to upgrade. None of my machines are touch enabled.
francie_
The Really Cheerful

The Voice of Reason

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 10:51:30 pm »

Also, I think you can set some sort of default to make Win8 always come up looking like the Win7 desktop.

I am guessing it might, like in XP where you can switch to "Classic View".  I wish I could do the same for MS's redesigned website, to which I am not an infrequent visitor in search of XP support.  It seems as minimalist on information as its minimalist design.

I like your devious nature, Francie.
ellaminnowphd
Curiously Strong

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 11:24:01 pm »

I hate Windows 8 with the fiery heat of a thousand suns. 

If you are buying a new computer, be sure to ask the seller to downgrade 8 to 7. 

BTDT

yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 6:40:38 pm »

If you are buying a new computer, be sure to ask the seller to downgrade 8 to 7. 

BTDT

That's what I did, from Vista to XP, when I bought my last.

If I keep downgrading, my next machine will come with an OS consisting of a peanut and a rock.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
ellaminnowphd
Curiously Strong

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 6:49:06 pm »

Ha!

That'd be better'n Windows 8.  Give me an OS with a marshmallow, even. 

annmarie
Finally a

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 2:39:06 pm »

Maybe you could buy a copy of Windows 7 somewhere. Also, I believe you can tweak 8 to look and feel like 7--Google knows how. Or you can get all uber geek and install a Linux OS. I use Ubuntu opn a couple of old machines, it is easy to install and quite slick.

The Linux idea was tempting.  I use the Microsoft Visual Studio though.  Maybe I could go dual-boot. 
tee_bee
I've really made it in academe, now that I am a

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 11:01:05 pm »

The Linux idea was tempting.  I use the Microsoft Visual Studio though.  Maybe I could go dual-boot. 

I tried switching to Linux. A bit too much of a PITA for me. Back in my younger days, when I liked to tinker, it would have been fun. Now, I need to Get Things Done. So I got a Mac.
larryc
Troll Proof

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 11:21:38 pm »

I tried switching to Linux. A bit too much of a PITA for me.

When did you last try Linux? I was Linux-curious for years, but it wasn't until Ubuntu came out that I took the plunge. It was really easy, easier than a Windows install actually. And it is dead easy to use as well.

cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 1:47:08 am »

BTDT

That's what I did, from Vista to XP, when I bought my last.

If I keep downgrading, my next machine will come with an OS consisting of a peanut and a rock.

Sounds like the "computers" we have in our lab... minus the rock.

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
bibliothecula
Academic ronin

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 4:39:31 pm »

Even-number Windows are always bad....2, ME, Vista....

I say chuck it all and go with Linux. The learning curve is very gentle.

I came. I saw. I cited.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: