• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:03:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Advantages of or alternatives to Windows 8  (Read 2841 times)
annmarie
Finally a
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: December 04, 2012, 1:00:53 PM »

I would like to buy a new computer as the one I  have is getting old. 

When I look at the HP and Dell sites, I see that their computers are shipping with Windows 8.  Well, I wonder how well Windows 8 has been tested, and don't think I need the features that Windows 8 is known for.

I care little about touch screen technology or direct sharing of files between devices.  I can use other feartures including google docs or dropbox if I want them.

Does anybody know what other advantages of Windows 8 are, or what the alternatives are?

I use my computer for programming, running statistical software,  writing papers & downloading articles from the univ's library site.  To a lesser extent, I use the computer for entertainment (downloading from a digital camera, email, etc)
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 2:15:38 PM »

Windows 8 is the ocean and you are a fish. Choice is an illusion.

Maybe you could buy a copy of Windows 7 somewhere. Also, I believe you can tweak 8 to look and feel like 7--Google knows how. Or you can get all uber geek and install a Linux OS. I use Ubuntu opn a couple of old machines, it is easy to install and quite slick.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 3:32:37 PM »

I'm still running Windows XP, having been burned during the Vista roll-out.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
francie_
The Really Cheerful

The Voice of Reason

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 6:46:21 PM »

Avoided the Vista disaster and still running XP on my old desktop, but I do like Windows 7.  Why did MS go and mess with it?  Why?  Why, why, why, why?

Francie, who prefers not to reach out and touch every gosh-darned computer screen.  Germs, ick.

I like your devious nature, Francie.
larryc
Troll Proof

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 8:06:58 PM »

Yeah, I think that Windows 7 is a thing of beauty. The change to 8 seems to be all about Microsoft trying to leverage its share of the one market it still dominates to get a foothold in the tablet and phone market at this late date.

tee_bee
I've really made it in academe, now that I am a

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 8:45:39 PM »

There's one feature of Win8 that makes me want to upgrade: it has a proper built in back up system that works very similarly to Apple's brilliant Time Machine. At least, that's what the tech press is saying.

Also, I think you can set some sort of default to make Win8 always come up looking like the Win7 desktop.

That said, I am in no particular hurry to upgrade. None of my machines are touch enabled.
francie_
The Really Cheerful

The Voice of Reason

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 10:51:30 PM »

Also, I think you can set some sort of default to make Win8 always come up looking like the Win7 desktop.

I am guessing it might, like in XP where you can switch to "Classic View".  I wish I could do the same for MS's redesigned website, to which I am not an infrequent visitor in search of XP support.  It seems as minimalist on information as its minimalist design.

I like your devious nature, Francie.
ellaminnowphd
Curiously Strong

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 11:24:01 PM »

I hate Windows 8 with the fiery heat of a thousand suns. 

If you are buying a new computer, be sure to ask the seller to downgrade 8 to 7. 

BTDT

yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 6:40:38 PM »

If you are buying a new computer, be sure to ask the seller to downgrade 8 to 7. 

BTDT

That's what I did, from Vista to XP, when I bought my last.

If I keep downgrading, my next machine will come with an OS consisting of a peanut and a rock.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
ellaminnowphd
Curiously Strong

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 6:49:06 PM »

Ha!

That'd be better'n Windows 8.  Give me an OS with a marshmallow, even. 

annmarie
Finally a

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 2:39:06 PM »

Maybe you could buy a copy of Windows 7 somewhere. Also, I believe you can tweak 8 to look and feel like 7--Google knows how. Or you can get all uber geek and install a Linux OS. I use Ubuntu opn a couple of old machines, it is easy to install and quite slick.

The Linux idea was tempting.  I use the Microsoft Visual Studio though.  Maybe I could go dual-boot. 
tee_bee
I've really made it in academe, now that I am a

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 11:01:05 PM »

The Linux idea was tempting.  I use the Microsoft Visual Studio though.  Maybe I could go dual-boot. 

I tried switching to Linux. A bit too much of a PITA for me. Back in my younger days, when I liked to tinker, it would have been fun. Now, I need to Get Things Done. So I got a Mac.
larryc
Troll Proof

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 11:21:38 PM »

I tried switching to Linux. A bit too much of a PITA for me.

When did you last try Linux? I was Linux-curious for years, but it wasn't until Ubuntu came out that I took the plunge. It was really easy, easier than a Windows install actually. And it is dead easy to use as well.

cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 1:47:08 AM »

BTDT

That's what I did, from Vista to XP, when I bought my last.

If I keep downgrading, my next machine will come with an OS consisting of a peanut and a rock.

Sounds like the "computers" we have in our lab... minus the rock.

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
bibliothecula
Academic ronin

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 4:39:31 PM »

Even-number Windows are always bad....2, ME, Vista....

I say chuck it all and go with Linux. The learning curve is very gentle.

I came. I saw. I cited.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: