• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 5:51:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Brrrr..... is it winter yet?  (Read 36772 times)
scotia
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 6:14:42 PM »

First drive in snow tonight. I don't think it is due to last, and it didn't start until after it was dark so no chance of nice winter photographs.
drspouse

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, 7:31:12 AM »

Snow on the hills, but the hills are about an hour's drive.
testingthewaters
Who? What?

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 7:50:37 AM »

Freezing rain predicted for rush hour tomorrow morning. Joy.

Time flies like an arrow;
fruit flies like a banana.
science_expat
Science Expat. Just pretending to be a somewhat

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 2:36:34 PM »

Mild but rainy in San Francisco

"Continue to speak truth to power and try to provoke evidence-based debate and decision-making. The holders of power will not like it and your career trajectory will not rise as high as you wish, but you will retain your professional integrity and the respect of those people whom you also respect."
expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2012, 11:50:11 AM »

It is NOT supposed to be this cold....

in the HOUSE!

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK

It is what it is.
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2012, 1:22:28 PM »

in the HOUSE!

Hmmm. What are you doing in my house?

<edges closer to radiator>

The 60s weren't just the decade that taste forgot. They were also the decade that insulation failed to visit.
qrypt
Qryptacular & not really a Member-Moderator

I just LOVE that VOICE. It's so NICE

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2012, 2:16:05 PM »

in the HOUSE!

The 60s weren't just the decade that taste forgot. They were also the decade that insulation failed to visit.

In what decade did they forget to install thermostats that work?  We spent most of Saturday with no heat at all, until the landlord's plumber showed up and figured out how to override the defective thermostat. 

Toasty now, though. 

"Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!"
scotia

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 2:26:28 PM »

in the HOUSE!

In what decade did they forget to install thermostats that work?  We spent most of Saturday with no heat at all, until the landlord's plumber showed up and figured out how to override the defective thermostat. 

Toasty now, though. 

I think the decade time frame is too narrow for this problem. More like century......
oddlyodd

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2012, 6:05:22 AM »

Ah, the habitual 2 inches of snow leading to chaos on the trains...
scampster

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2012, 6:12:22 AM »

in the HOUSE!

Toasty now, though. 

I arrived back from the US to my cold apartment. I turned the heaters on. Stupid storage heaters - it wasn't until the middle of the night that they finally deigned to put out some heat. Of course I was sleeping in every layer I had so I woke up covered in sweat.

Almost a year here and I still haven't mastered storage heaters.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
expatinuk
Has spent over 1000 pounds but now holds a Brit passport!

From SC living in UK ...on an adventure in Dubai

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2012, 8:55:12 AM »

Woke up to a dusting of snow here in the Royal County....

Expatinuk seems to be a Soviet Satellite in stationary orbit over the UK

It is what it is.
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2012, 9:02:30 AM »

-8C today; last weekend it got down to -16C.  It wasn't supposed to be this cold yet! - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
scotia

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »

in the HOUSE!

Toasty now, though. 

I arrived back from the US to my cold apartment. I turned the heaters on. Stupid storage heaters - it wasn't until the middle of the night that they finally deigned to put out some heat. Of course I was sleeping in every layer I had so I woke up covered in sweat.

Almost a year here and I still haven't mastered storage heaters.

I lived with storage heaters in a flat in Edinburgh and never did master them. I was just grateful that I was on the top floor and heat rises. When I left I vowed never, eve, to live with storage heaters again. It limits the houses I look at, but a system that means having a toasty house when I leave for the office in the morning and a freezing house when I am at home in the evening just does not make sense to me.

Quite a bit of snow in these parts and more forecast. My fingers are crossed that public transport works tomorrow because I just want my last lecture done.
testingthewaters
Who? What?

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 4:17:51 PM »

10cm of snow forecast for Friday. Testingland is not a country that is known for being well prpared for snow. If this actually happens, life will grind to a halt.

The weather man keeps referring to Friday as an "interesting" day. Clearly, he does not drive to work- I use different terms for this kind of weather.

testingthewaters
Who? What?

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2012, 6:01:52 AM »

And.... It snowed last night, all of 2 cm. Traffic mayhem. Fortunately, I had planned to come to the office late. Now, I'm also leaving at 3:30 in an attempt to get home sometime before midnight.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: