• October 30, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:54:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 213
  Print  
Author Topic: Things you wish you could say to your Facebook friends  (Read 311118 times)
macaroon
Distinguished Senior Member

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #630 on: May 04, 2012, 1:42:20 PM »

Kind of disappointed that so many of you are posting about the death of Beastie Boys member MCA, but only one of you acknowledged the passing of Levon Helm.

Oh well.

Why is this disappointing?

wanna_writemore

« Reply #631 on: May 04, 2012, 2:26:03 PM »

Happy anniversary, stanwyck!
theritas

« Reply #632 on: May 04, 2012, 2:44:57 PM »

Kind of disappointed that so many of you are posting about the death of Beastie Boys member MCA, but only one of you acknowledged the passing of Levon Helm. - Oh well.

I had a friend complain about something similar (two musicians died within days and I guess her friends commented more about the popular one than the one she preferred.)  I don't get that wrapped up in celebrity deaths, but also wouldn't likely post about losing a friend or family member (or not so directly.)  Other people do... whatevs. But I am left thinking it's odd that she wanted more attention to the highbrow artist.  After all, it's the taste of her friends that is clogging her feed.
macaroon

__/\__\0/__ Look out! Sharks!

« Reply #633 on: May 04, 2012, 3:07:12 PM »

Kind of disappointed that so many of you are posting about the death of Beastie Boys member MCA, but only one of you acknowledged the passing of Levon Helm. - Oh well.

I had a friend complain about something similar (two musicians died within days and I guess her friends commented more about the popular one than the one she preferred.)  I don't get that wrapped up in celebrity deaths, but also wouldn't likely post about losing a friend or family member (or not so directly.)  Other people do... whatevs. But I am left thinking it's odd that she wanted more attention to the highbrow artist.  After all, it's the taste of her friends that is clogging her feed.

Yeah, but Levon Helm wasn't high brow.  He was a pop musician.  As was Adam Yauch.  Yauch was much younger than Helm, but I'd say it's a draw between them in terms of influence.
prof_smartypants
Treasure-pilferin' and grog-swillin'

You're getting hosed by small minds with no game.

« Reply #634 on: May 04, 2012, 3:31:45 PM »

Yeah, but Levon Helm wasn't high brow.  He was a pop musician.  As was Adam Yauch.  Yauch was much younger than Helm, but I'd say it's a draw between them in terms of influence.

Not in my opinion. But yes, the fact that none of my friends even noticed Helm died was the surprising bit, not that so many of them care about Yauch. I've never understood the appeal of the Beasties, although obviously they have been very influential, and anyone dying that young is always sad.

anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #635 on: May 04, 2012, 3:58:20 PM »

I mentioned that to anispouse, who is admittedly a bit of a music snob (with somewhat of professional reasons to be so).  He didn't really get it either, feeling like Helm & Yauch were about equivalent in terms of popularity (& in RIP posts by people on both of our facebook feeds).  I said it reminded me of something he'd say, only about someone more obscure and highly influential.  I finally came up with Bob Moog as an example, and how he was irked several years back when fewer people remarked at Moog's death (in quarters other than FB), but many more remarked about the deaths of more popular celebrities.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
infogoon

Phlogiston Researcher.

« Reply #636 on: May 04, 2012, 4:15:43 PM »

You want a disparity, look at the wailing and gnashing of teeth when Steve Jobs died and the silence for Dennis Ritchie.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #637 on: May 04, 2012, 5:27:28 PM »

You want a disparity, look at the wailing and gnashing of teeth when Steve Jobs died and the silence for Dennis Ritchie.

That's not very nice of you.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #638 on: May 05, 2012, 6:13:39 AM »

I got about half and half Levon Helm and MCA posts, but Levon was a couple of weeks ago, and also older.

Stanwyck, happy belated anniversary, and your sister (or whoever) SUCKS.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
bevo98
Old but

Dr. Pepper

« Reply #639 on: May 05, 2012, 1:53:43 PM »

Maybe some of your facebook friends believe it when you say you are making "breakfast breads" for a trip, but those of us who know you, have to wonder if you will even have time to stop by the store to buy them.

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?  Omar Little
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #640 on: May 05, 2012, 6:21:55 PM »

I had a friend complain about something similar (two musicians died within days and I guess her friends commented more about the popular one than the one she preferred.)  I don't get that wrapped up in celebrity deaths, but also wouldn't likely post about losing a friend or family member (or not so directly.)  Other people do... whatevs. But I am left thinking it's odd that she wanted more attention to the highbrow artist.  After all, it's the taste of her friends that is clogging her feed.

Yeah, but Levon Helm wasn't high brow.  He was a pop musician.  As was Adam Yauch.  Yauch was much younger than Helm, but I'd say it's a draw between them in terms of influence.

Not in my opinion. But yes, the fact that none of my friends even noticed Helm died was the surprising bit, not that so many of them care about Yauch. I've never understood the appeal of the Beasties, although obviously they have been very influential, and anyone dying that young is always sad.

I haven't followed MCA's career as closely as Helm's. I would daresay that Helm's strongest influence was as a drummer. Nobody in rock kept time the way he did before him; probably the closest would have been Benny Benjamin of countless Motown singles. Jazz drumming legend Buddy Rich once called Helm his favorite rock drummer (noteworthy because Rich didn't have too many kind words for fellow musicians), and my leaden ears can hear Helm in everybody from Glen Kotche (Wilco) to ?uestlove.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 6:24:06 PM by southerntransplant » Logged

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
lohai0

« Reply #641 on: May 05, 2012, 9:35:12 PM »

Good job! I think you will finish before I do. Good thing, since you started like 5 years before me.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
palla

« Reply #642 on: May 05, 2012, 9:37:21 PM »

Just because a post says "Copy and paste as your status" doesn't mean you have to!  Really.  I promise it will be OK if you don't copy every single post that has that line in it.
egilson

« Reply #643 on: May 06, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »

When I accepted to your friend request, I didn't realize that most of what you posted are solicitations to donate to your church. I think you're going in the "people I've friended but stick on the 'never check their status' view."
quotiazelda
AFL-CIA

« Reply #644 on: May 07, 2012, 4:59:07 PM »

Whoa, nice statusjacking there, guys.

"Dream on, Jump Street."
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 213
  Print  

Jump to: