• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 8:24:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: no good deed goes unpunished  (Read 5092 times)
yemaya
Clown-hating
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 12:18:52 PM »

Wait, OP gave his/her students the option of retaking the test if they wished to redeem themselves.  S/he was being totally nice!  Their reaction is completely inappropriate...

I have one, too.  A colleague was up for tenure and I didn't really need more publications because I had just been promoted.  So, I told her that I would put her name on my manuscript, which was in the revise-and-resubmit phase (in an attempt to justify her authorship, I gave her the manuscript to proofread and edit).  The manuscript was accepted with this colleague being the 2nd author.

She sat in my office and told me that she was disappointed in me because I "took" the first authorship and that I had misled her.  Uh, your name wouldn't have been there AT ALL, and I did you a favor, remember??????  Did you really expect to be the first author when all you did was proofread?

I hope that you told her that.  And then hopefully, there have been enough of these sort of tantrums that she will be denied tenure for lack of collegiality. 

Historians are gossips who tease the dead.  ~Voltaire
gbrown

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »

Great thread! I have colleagues who take 2-3 weeks (normally; sometimes more...) to grade an essay and get it back to students. I grade mine within 1 week (sometimes within 1 class period!) and in 11 years of teaching have never (ever) had anyone thank me.

Well, at least the only things they can vent about me on RMP is how harsh I grade or how mean I am...

"Oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will achieve total consciousness. So I got that going for me, which is nice." Caddyshack
kshenko

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 4:52:37 PM »

...A colleague was up for tenure ... she was disappointed in me because I "took" the first authorship and that I had misled her.  Uh, your name wouldn't have been there AT ALL, and I did you a favor, remember??????  Did you really expect to be the first author when all you did was proofread?

I hope that you told her that.  And then hopefully, there have been enough of these sort of tantrums that she will be denied tenure for lack of collegiality. 

I did, but I think she said, "That has nothing to do with this!" or some nonsense.  I don't even know how she could possibly justify her behavior, and it is absolutely fascinating that she is clearly under the impression that she was wronged.

I suppose she is missing a few screws...
yemaya
Clown-hating

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 1:36:07 PM »

...A colleague was up for tenure ... she was disappointed in me because I "took" the first authorship and that I had misled her.  Uh, your name wouldn't have been there AT ALL, and I did you a favor, remember??????  Did you really expect to be the first author when all you did was proofread?

I did, but I think she said, "That has nothing to do with this!" or some nonsense.  I don't even know how she could possibly justify her behavior, and it is absolutely fascinating that she is clearly under the impression that she was wronged.

I suppose she is missing a few screws...

And when she goes and shoots her mouth off about how wronged she is, I can imagine eye rolls at someone who expects full credit for someone else's work. 

Historians are gossips who tease the dead.  ~Voltaire
prof_cj
Still uses actual books for his gradebooks

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 10:36:30 AM »

"Please can I be signed in I really need this course!"

It's the end of the last week, I'm officially about to announce that I'm accepting no new sign-ins and my rosters are full for every section. I have two empty seats, sigh, and sign said student in. Then, b/c I'm officially (in a metaphorical and safety-issue literal sense) out of seats, have to turn away some more students who asked later.

Said pleader dropped after a week.
barcrossliar
I guess anyone can be a

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 9:56:38 PM »

The "please take me from the wait list" students are always the biggest PITAS.  Anyone who desperately needs a class, but can't be bothered to get themselves registered as early as possible is unlikely to be the sort of organized person who gets stuff done on time.  They are also already demonstrating that they think the rules don't apply to them and/or they should get special favors.  None of which bodes well.

I over-enrolled a course for a student once.  Never again.

Every educated person's not a plumb greenhorn.

"where whining mendeth nothing, wherefore whine?"--R.L. Stevenson

+-LR is wise. Listen.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 9:59:05 PM »

The "please take me from the wait list" students are always the biggest PITAS.  Anyone who desperately needs a class, but can't be bothered to get themselves registered as early as possible is unlikely to be the sort of organized person who gets stuff done on time.  They are also already demonstrating that they think the rules don't apply to them and/or they should get special favors.  None of which bodes well.

I over-enrolled a course for a student once.  Never again.

+1...2...3...4...8...22....

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: