"Favorite" conversations with students

<< < (1480/1786) > >>

ms_turtle:
The setting is a histology lab and we're looking at muscle tissue, specifically the muscle-tendon junction. It's a specimen that is easier to examine if it is stained with a trichrome stain because the muscle tissue proteins will be red and the extracellular protein will be blue. Students were having a tough time with the specimen because the junction is gradual rather than abrupt.

Student: "but the book makes it look so easy to find..."

Me: "... they've looked at 10000 specimens to find 'perfect'... you're going to see a lot of red and blue overlapping as you get close to the junction... think of it as politically conflicted."

The student I was helping didn't get it, but the one across the table started laughing.

bioteacher:
Love it, Ms. T. And how dare you provide your students with less-than-perfect specimens to work with? It's supposed to match the image in the book!

mountainguy:
Stu Dent: I couldn't do <assignment>. There were too many people in the library.

Me: Ghhhhhhhhhhhhh  . . . .

onthefringe:
Quote from: mountainguy on February 27, 2013,  4:12:00 PM

Stu Dent: I couldn't do <assignment>. There were too many people in the library.

Me: I've been to our library. I do not believe you.

mountainguy:
Quote from: onthefringe on February 27, 2013,  4:47:25 PM

Me: I've been to our library. I do not believe you.

Actually, we are a residential campus, and the library does get a surprising amount of student traffic in the evenings. But I find it inconceivable that there was nowhere for the student to work (nor was there anything in the assignment that meant it had to be completed in the library).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page