The shoe is on the other foot (instructor taking online class... and it sucks!)

(1/6) > >>

gbrown:
The shoe is finally on the other foot. I've decided to take a "master online teaching certificate" which consists of 4 core classes, 1 elective and a practicum. Several colleagues (and my associate dean) have taken it and given it high ratings.

Here's the thing. I'm now taking the first course. This course uses Moodle (not Blackboard, which I use to teach my online and hybrid courses), so I'm experiencing a learning curve (and not in a good way).

Worse yet, the course seems to be full of low-content crap like "scavenger hunts" and other mindless stuff that is pretty irritating. The people taking this course are not grade schoolers, so cut out the nonsense and bad clip art! I guess I thought it was going to be chock full of good suggestions on how to teach better--as evidenced by good teaching, but it looks to be a poorly designed course (click here to look at blah-blah, then go back 3 screens to view blah-blah-blah; then click on this area to view blah-blah). Basically, this course violates EVERY rule I've been told about how to teach online well.

So I'm pissed that I'll be wasting 10 hours a week doing this mindless crap to prove to my college that I'm a good online instructor.

I can only hope that there is more CONTENT and less brain-numbing nonsense as I do other courses...

What was I thinking? Anyone else go through busy-work hoops to get recognition/certificate/applause from higher ups and HATE it while they were going through it?

theritas:
Oh, god, yes. So often what we do to each other in the name of being professionals is so completely cruel and contradictory to the principles we are to use in our teaching.

zuzu_:
I've been there recently! Last year, I took a sucky class to jump through a certification hoop. The content was awful-- Thankfully, the instructor made it bearable with frequent communication, fast replies to emails, and clear expectations. She also welcomed reasoned criticism of the often sucky readings. I got the impression that the instructor did not design the course.

On the flip side, I've taken two online courses towards my PhD this past year. They were both very good--one was probably the best course I've ever taken, in person or online. I learned a ton, meaningfully engaged with other grad students, and actually made a real friend.

tee_bee:
The scavanger hunt and the clip art weren't designed and used by a College of Education, were they?

[Takes cover under desk.]

zuzu_:
Quote from: tee_bee on March 18, 2013,  1:59:12 PM

The scavanger hunt and the clip art weren't designed and used by a College of Education, were they?

[Takes cover under desk.]

And you should take cover!! All three of the courses I described above came from a CoE. One was full of the fluffy bullsh!t--the other two were rigorous as hell.

OP, you should definitely give specific, constructive feedback when you do course evaluations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page