Recording short video lectures and editing them

(1/3) > >>

neutralname:
I'm thinking of doing some short recordings for online teaching.  Maybe 10 minutes of myself talking to the camera, possibly interspersed with some slides or excerpts of DVDs, with some voice-over or captions added.

I have a basic PC.  Is this feasible for a small investment in hardware and software?  I'd need to do some video recording and some video editing.

larryc:
Yeah--a decent headset and a webcam are all you need. You can do the editing in Windows Movie Maker, there is a learning curve but it is actually a decent piece of software. Upload the lectures to YouTube or Vimeo and link out from your course site.

neutralname:
Thanks Larry.  I hope to do some experimenting soon.  I need to buy a cam I think, although maybe I should practice first with the small one I have.

blackadder:
Your university/college media department might have some equipment to loan out.
This has been my summer project for several years now - updating slides and voiceover. I'm not yet to video of the presentations but I did do Unit video introductions and a course intro. Of course, the book changed and I had to scrap that.

cc_alan:
Quote from: neutralname on February 18, 2013,  7:26:41 AM

Thanks Larry.  I hope to do some experimenting soon.  I need to buy a cam I think, although maybe I should practice first with the small one I have.

Do you need to be in the video or would screen capturing be enough? I do screen captures of all of my podcasts because most of my material doesn't need my face in it.

Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page