midterm exam quandry

(1/6) > >>

shadowfaxe:
I just gave a midterm to three sections of my introductory survey course in the humanities.
In two sections (60 students), there were 10 As, 20 Bs, and a few failures. 
In the third section, there were 10 Fs. 

This third section meets at 8 am; most of the students are undeclared freshmen.  A freshman and a sophomore (neither of them majors) got As on the exam.  There were a few Bs, too.  While the test was difficult, it wasn't impossible. 

I teach the same material to all sections at the same pace, so I'm ready to chalk up the failures to early class time + all-freshman = disaster.  Some of the tests are so lousy that it's obvious that the students didn't study.

I'm wondering what to do now.  Ask them about their study habits?  Give them a review session before the final?  Or tell them they need to get their act together? 


   


 

shadowfaxe:
I should add that, when any of my students get a failing grade, I require them to meet with me individually, so I may get some clues in the next couple of days.

sockknitter:
In my general education classes, the sections with primarily freshmen always have a higher failure rate for exams and for the final course grade.  The students simply aren't mature enough to regularly attend class or keep up with assignments, and generally have poor study skills.

My best students are always the non-traditional students.  They value their time and tuition money, so they never skip class and they actually do the work.

glowdart:
Quote from: shadowfaxe on February 24, 2013, 10:17:04 AM

Or tell them they need to get their act together? 

Here's your answer; I wouldn't be quite that blunt, but that's the only message they need to get. 

infopri:
Quote from: shadowfaxe on February 24, 2013, 10:17:04 AM

I'm wondering what to do now.  Ask them about their study habits?  Give them a review session before the final?  Or tell them they need to get their act together? 


Quote from: shadowfaxe on February 24, 2013, 10:37:19 AM

when any of my students get a failing grade, I require them to meet with me individually, so I may get some clues in the next couple of days.


D:  All of the above.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page